• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bergdorf Goodwill's status

ms244

Reaction score
I won my paypal case a little while back. I got the money back too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after sending several (unanswered) e-mails and PMs, and vainly waiting for some sort of response, or for BG to sort his life out, I finally filed a PayPal dispute a short while ago.

It was immediately elevated to claim status, and an e-mail was apparently sent by PayPal to BG. However, PayPal then listed the claim as "deferred". No reason was given for this, but I assume that it might be because I waited quite a few months to file a dispute (and I believe that PayPal states that it should be done within 45 days).

So, I hold out no hope of ever receiving my goods from BG, nor do I hold out any hope of receiving a refund from him. Further, it seems as though I have no hope of getting any satisfaction via PayPal.

I realise that purchasing items on internet fora always involves an element of "caveat emptor", but it is frustrating to be screwed over by a well-known forum member - particularly when you know that he's been in dire straits and have (foolishly) delayed filing a dispute in the hope that he'd get his life sorted out and send the stuff as he had repeatedly promised to do in various threads here on SF.

As an aside, I noticed that BG listed one of the ties that I bought (and never received) from his Megasale in the items that he listed on eBay a couple of months ago. Once again, I e-mailed him to query whether he had more than one of the same ties, but never received a response. In any event, the auctions were cancelled so it became a moot point.

I've got every sympathy for the man as I've been in some pretty dire straits before, but it does irritate and frustrate me when it's clear that BG is actually checking in to SF (his profile shows that he last checked in on 04 December), but that he is not bothering to respond to any correspondence from people who are still waiting for goods to be sent some five months after they paid for them.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I realise that purchasing items on internet fora always involves an element of "caveat emptor", but it is frustrating to be screwed over by a well-known forum member - particularly when you know that he's been in dire straits and have (foolishly) delayed filing a dispute in the hope that he'd get his life sorted out and send the stuff as he had repeatedly promised to do in various threads here on SF.

While there is probably more risk from buying on an internet forum, I would point out that that element is not absent in internet stores, nor even brick and mortar stores. The most awful buying experience of my life came when I bought a pair of pants in the NYC YSL store, and the salesman agreed to send the matching jacket for me to try on (not buy) in the SF store. When the jacket arrived, the tags had been snipped and he had charged my credit card and included a receipt. After fighting with him, and the SF store for a while, I had to contact American Express to get my money back for a jacket which didn't fit.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
According to his profile, Bergdorf Goodwill checked in here today. It is infuriating that he is visiting the fora while igoring PMs and that he is not fulfilling his contractual obilgations and sending out paid-for merchandise. Another forum member suggested a class action lawsuit. Maybe its not such a bad idea.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? You want to file a class action lawsuit to what, get your $40 back? I mean, I'm sorry you guys got screwed, but getting litigious over a tie is just not reasonable.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
According to his profile, Bergdorf Goodwill checked in here today. It is infuriating that he is visiting the fora while igoring PMs and that he is not fulfilling his contractual obilgations and sending out paid-for merchandise. Another forum member suggested a class action lawsuit. Maybe its not such a bad idea.
musicboohoo[1].gif

You should have just filled a claim with your credit card company and/or payal when you still had the chance.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Are you serious? You want to file a class action lawsuit to what, get your $40 back? I mean, I'm sorry you guys got screwed, but getting litigious over a tie is just not reasonable.

unless it was that navy tie with "capitalist tool" in yellow print all over it. That **** was the ****.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
unless it was that navy tie with "capitalist tool" in yellow print all over it. That **** was the ****.
I wanted that really badly.

markdc

Reaction score

frustrating indeed. i got screwed over (twice) in july/august but got the charges removed by citi.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
musicboohoo[1].gif

You should have just filled a claim with your credit card company and/or payal when you still had the chance.

Well, yes, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
plain.gif

However, as has been pointed out previously by a couple of posters in this thread (including myself), we waited some time to take action out of (misguided) respect for BG's situation (homeless, living out of his car), because he had stated that he would send out all the items in short order, and because some people actually did receive items that they had ordered, thus giving us hope that he would be true to his word.

Regrettably, it seems that our charity and our hope that he would make good on his word was sadly misplaced.

Personally, I'm not so bummed about the money - I'm more frustrated by the fact that my trust has been betrayed, and by the fact that BG continues to lurk here whilst apparently doing nothing to repair the situation.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Personally, I'm not so bummed about the money - I'm more frustrated by the fact that my trust has been betrayed, and by the fact that BG continues to lurk here whilst apparently doing nothing to repair the situation.
All it takes is one delay on the sender's part and it is easy to slip past the Paypal time limit for filing the claim. BG gave me the line that "the tie was sent out but then returned in the mail because he put the wrong address on it!" Sure it was... all the while asking if I wanted to buy more things from his sale so he could include them in the next shipment. Scammer.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
In an ideal world, this travesty would only reflect badly on BG as an individual but sadly it is a stain on SF's record. Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In an ideal world, this travesty would only reflect badly on BG as an individual but sadly it is a stain on SF's record. Can the moderators take some kind of action on behalf of those screwed?
Are you kidding? WTF are the moderators gonna do, reach into their own pockets and return your forty freakin' dollars? SF is not some union that ensures smooth transactions on the B&S forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics