• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I am traveling in the People's Republic of China right now, so I've only brought along my favorite: Kolnisch Juchten.

Get it or save it while you can because it's been discontinued. Hate it when they do that. What's Kolnisch Juchten like? Sounds oriental.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
After last week's freeze, it was warm enough yesterday to indulge in yardwork. Unreal. Yesterday it was a Vetiver scent (once I cleaned up).

Today it's due to hit 80 (it's January, WTF) and so the spring scents are lining up. I'm indulging in Signoricci 2 today, from a vintage bottle of unknown provenance and slightly damaged top notes.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Trying the last of my samples from Floris, No. 89. Was looking forward to this for the obvious Bond reasons. It's starting to settle now and becoming more enjoyable, but I really didn't like the way it opened on me, almost a baby powder smell.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geir today.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Beautiful day today. It's been in 60's (in January?!) so I wore Givenchy Pi to class all today (used sparingly of course
smile.gif
)

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
That is bad news, indeed, as Ren and Tangerine had yet to weigh in with their choices. We just might have you outnumbered.
smile.gif

To set the historical record straight; I was traveling with only two bottles. Caron Nuit de Noël and Grès Cabochard. As it turns out, NYE belonged to Caron, meaning generous dollops of sweet, leathery darkness.

Today I am testing Molinard Une Histoire de Chypre, which is apparently an old recipe from the Molinard vaults, that was said to be similar to the original Mitsouko. I definitely see the resemblance, but if I could only have one of the two, I would keep the Guerlain. The Molinard is very good, though.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
Trying the last of my samples from Floris, No. 89. Was looking forward to this for the obvious Bond reasons. It's starting to settle now and becoming more enjoyable, but I really didn't like the way it opened on me, almost a baby powder smell.

I was expecting something great, but the initial blast really gave me a strong baby powder smell as well, I washed it off immediately without waiting for the drydown. I will have to test it again to see if it is more tolerable. Floris was really nice, they sent me a bunch of samples in shaving creme/balm/scents from the US.

Today, it is cloudy and gloomy day in Canada. To bright things up a bit, I wore Jo Malone Amber & Lavendar. I have been wearing this scent for the past few days. I quite enjoy this one. IMHO, it is a classic understated scent. Should give it a try.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I bought a few CDG samples from luckyscent as i was curious about them and want to find a scent to get into. I really wanted to try cdg2man but they didn't have a sample of it. I'm not daring enough to risk buying a $50-100 thing of fragrance without knowing how it will smell on my skin.

odeur71, white, sequoia and ouarzazate. Hopefully, one of those will work out or at least know what other scent i want to buy from testing those. My friend owed me some money so i just had him buy me those 4 samples. Only $12 for em' so what the heck.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I bought a few CDG samples from luckyscent as i was curious about them and want to find a scent to get into. I really wanted to try cdg2man but they didn't have a sample of it. I'm not daring enough to risk buying a $50-100 thing of fragrance without knowing how it will smell on my skin.

odeur71, white, sequoia and ouarzazate. Hopefully, one of those will work out or at least know what other scent i want to buy from testing those. My friend owed me some money so i just had him buy me those 4 samples. Only $12 for em' so what the heck.

Comme de Garcons 2 man is worth the wait. Chandler Burr gave it a five star rating on one of his reviews at the New York Times. What kind of fragrances do you like? Do you like spicy, citrusy or wood?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm trying to get into it as we speak. I don't really live near any place where i can try decent stuff so i ordered a few samples. I'll know more next week when i receive them. I was having a great time looking up some of the scents on luckyscent.com though. Talented writers. I needed to check the dictionary a few times.

White seemed like a pretty casual/versatile scent that'd be pretty safe. Ouazazate and sequoia seemed like nice musky, inscence, woodsy ones. Odeur71 just seemed so cool that i had to try it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Get it or save it while you can because it's been discontinued. Hate it when they do that. What's Kolnisch Juchten like? Sounds oriental.

I bought mine from an odd perfume shop in San Francisco called Jacqueline. The owner is supposedly one of those absurdly cranky old men, but in my experience, if you know what you are talking about, he is not bad to deal with. However, one time I was there, he told a man using his door alcove to talk on a cell-phone to go away as this was "private property!"

Either way, he carries Kolnisch Juchten--produced by Regence Paris--and also the very verdant Vert de Regence, another unique scent.

KJ is a leather scent, supposedly Russian leather. It's rather meaty and musky, with a slight sweetness, but also smoky. It's almost like a less refined Angelique Encens by Creed. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long.

I believe the original version was produced by Farina.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Omega, the dry down was actually pretty good, but it took a long time for the baby powder smell to go. I got a large selection of samples from Floris too and will definitely be buying something from them soon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
KJ is a leather scent, supposedly Russian leather. It's rather meaty and musky, with a slight sweetness, but also smoky. It's almost like a less refined Angelique Encens by Creed. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long.

I'd read about this (after your post) and had heard it was in a similar vein as Yatagan, sans the meatiness. Is that true?

My scent du jour is John Varvatos. Pleasant and well-balanced. Too bad spring has already sprung around here.

tangerine

Reaction score
I bought mine from an odd perfume shop in San Francisco called Jacqueline. The owner is supposedly one of those absurdly cranky old men, but in my experience, if you know what you are talking about, he is not bad to deal with...

Jacqueline is a great store! I went there with digital denim once and we chatted with "Mr. Jacqueline." Once he determined that we were genuinely interested, he became somewhat chatty and told us some amusing anecdotes, my favorites of which involved various shortages during the war (that would be WWII), and the usages of perfume for some purposes other the originally intended.

I also got the impression that Mrs. Jacqueline was quite the hottie in her day.
thumbs-up.gif

Today I am trying out Cuir Mauresque. When I smelled it in the jar, I was afraid it was going to be too sweet and cloying, but it turns out to play very nicely. There is just a hint of spicy orange overlaying a soft leather.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from an odd perfume shop in San Francisco called Jacqueline. The owner is supposedly one of those absurdly cranky old men, but in my experience, if you know what you are talking about, he is not bad to deal with. However, one time I was there, he told a man using his door alcove to talk on a cell-phone to go away as this was "private property!"

Either way, he carries Kolnisch Juchten--produced by Regence Paris--and also the very verdant Vert de Regence, another unique scent.

Thanks for the info. Your description of it is very appealing since my olfactory taste tend to go into that direction of dry, woody scents. Longevity is a big factor when I buy fragrances . I'll have to look for it locally here in L.A. I'll check out Jacqueline next time I visit the City.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads