• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Michael69

Reaction score
Visit to Jermyn St......

light.jpg

clockwise from top left:

TA, H&K, H&H, Budd

Also bought an Emma Willis textured white dress shirt on sale, but it needs laundering (!)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice. I like the Budd.

UK2004

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
The latest GT order with a bonus Sam Hober tie.

The tie is an unlined silk Columbia tie from the collegiate collection that David made to my specifications. It's at least equal to if not better than any of the ties I own, some of which cost me twice as much. I'm delighted with it.

DSCF0001-7.jpg

DSCF0004-2.jpg

The shirts were on order when I went for the fitting of my latest suit two weeks ago. During the fitting, my cutter decided that my right sleeve needed to be shortened by 7 millimeters, so I asked to have the sleeves adjusted accordingly. When I went to pick them up today, I took the other shirts they have made for me to have the adjustment made. I also ordered two more shirts.

DSCF0002-7.jpg

DSCF0003-6.jpg

Still loving the Ginza Tailor shirts, how can I get one sent to UK do they do a RTW line?

Mustapha

Reaction score
Blue shirting fabric manufacturers rejoice. Guilty myself. When I wear anything other than a blue (such as white - 'going for an interview?') or one of my wacky greens or pinks ('you look gay'/'you're not going to wear that outside are you?').

:>)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Blue shirting fabric manufacturers rejoice. Guilty myself. When I wear anything other than a blue (such as white - 'going for an interview?') or one of my wacky greens or pinks ('you look gay'/'you're not going to wear that outside are you?').

:>)

I believe your last sentence was incomplete. What were you trying to say here?

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I believe your last sentence was incomplete. What were you trying to say here?

Hi tedderiely,

Sorry, I was trying to be cute and brief at the same time. What my meaning is was basically this: When I wear anything other than a blue shirt, say a white shirt; folks ask if I have a job interview lined up. If I wear one of my colourful shirts I get grief from the missus or kids about being 'gay'.
blush.gif

Best,

Moose

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Go for the colorful shirts, at least you'd be a happily employed and well dressed "gay" guy. And hopefully the wife will know you're not gay.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I like white and blue shirts I have always thought pink and lavender looked great. When I was in High School, you could get serious grief for wearing those colors. So, I though it showed a lot of self confidence wearing them and have had them as a part of my shirt rotation since college. My wife loves them too.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
As much as I like white and blue shirts I have always thought pink and lavender looked great. When I was in High School, you could get serious grief for wearing those colors. So, I though it showed a lot of self confidence wearing them and have had them as a part of my shirt rotation since college. My wife loves them too.
I was at the gym today. My gym is in a neither here nor there kinda neighborhood and the membership sales rep there was wearing a OTR blue shirt with white collar and white french cuffs. It was surprising to see (I thought it a tad out of place) but you have to give credit for his making the effort. The more and more I think - in addition to the lavender mentioned above, a pale green or a gray or an ecru in a dress shirt would be nice. And adaptable for casual wear too. Even at my shirtmaker, the swatch books look overwhelmingly like the shirts shown in this long thread. "Blue. White. Blue and White stripes. The End." -- as one poster here has put it so succinctly.
worship.gif
I remember back in high school in the 70s when some of the more fashion forward teachers wore paisley double knit shirts with solid color knit ties. At the time there was nothing ridiculous about it. I wonder if by filling our closets with a such a small range of color choices we are setting ourselves up for self-reflection when we look back in 30 years - 'why did I do that? It wasn't even good value for my money.'.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael69, GREAT looking British Shirts! Looks like you hit some really great makers, and I'm sure you'll be reminded of Jermyn Street every time you wear one of them. J Street is definitely my favorite street I visited (was there very briefly April 2006).

Recently delivered addition to the shirt wardrobe, which I'm going to try to save with another boxed up shirt for my next job-- in the DC area or in the Northeast somewhere, anyways. Looking forward to celebrating that new position in 2009 and breaking out my two still-brand-new-shirts [if i can be patient that long and not wear these two before then...]

Brioni MTM striped

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Blue shirting fabric manufacturers rejoice. Guilty myself. When I wear anything other than a blue (such as white - 'going for an interview?') or one of my wacky greens or pinks ('you look gay'/'you're not going to wear that outside are you?'). :>)
Your pinks must be truly wacky to get that reaction especially from your wife. I would think women would like men in pink. But then again, I've seen some awful shades of pink. Does anyone else here absolutely hate contrast collars? I just can't get over how goofy they look. Men's fashion is superfluous as it is. What is it about contrast collars that people like so much? Is it to maintain a white collar and show that you're not blue collared? I've always thought that the subtle details such as perfectly tailored fit and matched fabric spoke more than something as flashy as "KAPOW, check out how my collar and cuffs are white!"

16520Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
What is it about contrast collars that people like so much?

This guy, for one, loves the contrast collar:

OfficeSpaceTheMemo.jpg

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EFBenson
Here are two shirts I bought in the H&K January sale. Hoping to get a Budd shirt this year, these are a step in that direction.

Is Budd really considered that much better than H&K? Having owned a few H&K shirts, I really can't imagine what can be improved (save for a slightly trimmer fit, maybe).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads