• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ancestry

Gav

Reaction score
I find this extremely interesting.

A relative of mine researched our family tree, we had a rough idea what to expect as our surname is of Irish descent. We managed to trace back to the mid 1700s where, as far as we can tell, our family originated from Lisburn, County Antrim in Northern Ireland. I've got direct family that stay there as it is, but knowing the place where we came from gave me a cool sense of pride.

As it turned out my family moved to Scotland due to the Irish potato blight and we've been here ever since.

So over to you, what's your story and where do you really come from?

Gav

teacha.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm originally a mix of English on the Pop's side and Irish on my Mom's side.

Also in my more recent ancestry, I'm related to one of the first Grand Wizards of the ***, Bud Wilkinson.

Not exactly a proud thing, but interesting nonetheless, and I can say we've come a long way since then lol.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Researching your roots can be addicting - check out www.familysearch.org. Assuming you can latch onto a recent ancestor for whom good records have been entered, you can get quite far back, especially if you get into European nobility since they kept good track of their lineages.

I've actually traced both my parents back to John Lackland of England ("Good for Nothing Prince John" for you Robin Hood fans). It's not just me though - from what I've read basically everyone of western European descent alive today is descended from Charlemagne. From there you can actually trace the tree all the way back to the early A.D., although I'm pretty skeptical about the accuracy.

Yeah. That and I just found out a few months ago that my great great grandfather was probably black; I'm as white as can be!
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Researching your roots can be addicting - check out www.familysearch.org. Assuming you can latch onto a recent ancestor for whom good records have been entered, you can get quite far back, especially if you get into European nobility since they kept good track of their lineages.

I've actually traced both my parents back to John Lackland of England ("Good for Nothing Prince John" for you Robin Hood fans). It's not just me though - from what I've read basically everyone of western European descent alive today is descended from Charlemagne. From there you can actually trace the tree all the way back to the early A.D., although I'm pretty skeptical about the accuracy.

Yeah. That and I just found out a few months ago that my great great grandfather was probably black; I'm as white as can be!
laugh.gif

Yeah, and I'm actually part of the Sang Real Merovingian bloodline. Ask dan brown!

I keed, I keed. Geneaology is awesome to do, and a lot of fun.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My last name is MacD--------, but we actually came here from Chile. Apparently, quite a few MacD-------s settled in Argentina and Chile to raise cattle. My grandfather and his brother, Carlos, came here in the 30's. Any trace of hispanic culture died soon thereafter.

Last edited:

kever

Reaction score
I'm about half English, a quarter French and a quarter Irish. Apparently our family tree lead back to being the descendants of the bastard child of Prince Albert. I don't know too much more about it, but I thought it was kinda funny.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic, as I'm in the process of trying to trace our ancestry back to Africa. So far I've found I'm far "blacker" than my color portrays. My mothers father traces back to slaves who landed in Norwich, CT, her mother's side goes south to Tuskegee but thats only a 150 years backs. My father is Jamaican; "family tales" say we are descendant of the Ashanti on his dad's side and on his mothers side is African with one lone Asian, which until last month I assumed was Chinese since I have a uncle who's half ********, but is actually Indian.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irish, from Co. Kerry in early 1830s, before the famine.

So spare me the Kerryman jokes, eh?
tounge.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Irish, from Co. Kerry in early 1830s, before the famine.

So spare me the Kerryman jokes, eh?
tounge.gif

How about Kerrygold jokes?
Sorry, could not resist
biggrin.gif

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
On my mother's paternal side, we trace our ancestry back to one Hubert DeForest born in 1006. It must have been his grandson who was a chevalier in the first crusade. The family were either landed gentry or nobility. My great grandfather 12 generations back was one Jesse DeForest, who secured the royal charters, ships, supplies, etc. for the settlers who founded New Amsterdam. His name is inscribed on the Walloon Monument in Battery Park in lower Manhattan.

On her maternal side, our ancestors first landed in England with William the Conqueror and first landed in the New World on the Mayflower.

On my father's paternal side, my grandfather was newspaper columnist FPA of the Algonquin Round Table, among other notable claims to fame.

On his maternal side, my great, great grandfather was the composer and music publisher George Frederick Root.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads