• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
As a slight aside, I visited the Church's and Trickers factory shops in Northampton today. There was no-one in the Trickers shop (including a sales assistant!) so I just wandered round by myself for about 10 minutes then let myself out.

The Church's shop was packed with people as they have a 10% sale on. To be honest I was wholly underwhelmed by both. The finishing on all the shoes I handled was poor, the leather wasn't great (quite a few of the Church's were polished binder, which to me looks awful and plasticky) and although they were priced OK (between 150-200GBP), I didn't even consider buying any. Contrast this with my JL shop visit where I bought seven pairs and had to restrain myself from more (they were 235GBP).

I guess I have been spoiled by my Lobbs, but while I have the podium I'd like to reiterate that I'm really impressed with the quality of Bexley (I've since bought another pair). The construction really is better than anything I saw today. Don't let the low price put you off if you're thinking of a pair, they're really very good.

I'll try to get to the C&J shop in the next few weeks, unfortunately it's only open on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
I'm really impressed with the quality of Bexley (I've since bought another pair). The construction really is better than anything I saw today. Don't let the low price put you off if you're thinking of a pair, they're really very good.

Interesting quirk of psychology that someone can be detered by low price, but of course it's true, as is the inverse. To be able to gauge true quality and value is a gift. Please share your Bexleys.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Hi,

My first pair are on page 253 of this thread (my Lobbs are on page 247). I haven't taken any pics of the second pair, as you can see there wasn't much love for Bexley over the following few pages!.

I'm not connected to them in any way, merely voicing an opinion.

Cheers,

TB

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thanks all. Yep.

Ed,

Those Kitons are gorgeous
worship.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
my up-to-date, superlative collection. not alot, remember i sold alot of my stuff last august.
i am slowly trying to build up my collection again, lot due to cost, but also due to i am very finicky on the design, leather quality, and disparity of my shoes:

Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture042-2.jpg

photos are flash, so of course, the shoes are lot more in-depth and richer in the flesh. cant say how rich the bentivegna fam is in words.
inlove.gif

soon to add: Vass U black polish Londoner derby. EG MTO Lichfield in burgundy antique 82 HAF sole, EG MTO Galway black pebble/midnight antique medway boot 606. also if i can pick up any more fams along the way.
also,
G&G Gable Dark oak smart square and a EG MTO coffee suede/dark oak Sandringham storm welt 606. these two after careful observation will most likely be sold.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you are really down to these 3 shoes? I have show more restraint and get rid of the ones I don't wear.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quality over quantity eh, Brian?
smile.gif
Brother, post your shoes again at the end of 2008- It'd be interesting to see what you'll get in the next 12 months.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
my up-to-date, superlative collection. not alot, remember i sold alot of my stuff last august.
i am slowly trying to build up my collection again, lot due to cost, but also due to i am very finicky on the design, leather quality, and disparity of my shoes:

Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture042-2.jpg

photos are flash, so of course, the shoes are lot more in-depth and richer in the flesh. cant say how rich the bentivegna fam is in words.
inlove.gif

soon to add: Vass U black polish Londoner derby. EG MTO Lichfield in burgundy antique 82 HAF sole, EG MTO Galway black pebble/midnight antique medway boot 606. also if i can pick up any more fams along the way.
also,
G&G Gable Dark oak smart square and a EG MTO coffee suede/dark oak Sandringham storm welt 606. these two after careful observation will most likely be sold.

Are those Macays(sp?)?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
None of the above are Mackays.
Mackay is a semibrogue bal by Edward Green Polo RLPL.

I do have more shoes that I wear during the normal course of the week like my ferragamo, AEs, and santoni classic. But I did not picture them here.

I am only picturing my superlative shoes. In that respect, I am more interested in quality over quantity, also lack of money as well, because if i had all the money , i would buy everything in sight.
smile.gif

It is kind of fun for me always trying to chase down that ever elusive shoe that I need to fill in my shoe jigsaw puzzle so to speak.

hangten

Reaction score
Are the FAMs, model 5425? How do they fit? Half a size larger?

Thanks!
Duane

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoe, I love that Santoni double monk. What a shoe! Does Santoni still make them? I'm going to be in NYC Feb 1st and thought I might drop by their store on Madison unless you know of a better place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads