• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moncler Sizing

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 40S. Should I go with the size 2 or the 3 on a moncler? Both are mediums. It's a puffy jacket but I don't want it to be too baggy.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the Moncler to run nicely fitted and not baggy at all. I still had to go up one size from L to XL and I'm a 42.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to create a new thread for this but maybe I should.

I want to buy a moncler jacket. I've figured out the size (3). I like a few different styles although I've only seen the just a few in person.

The thing that sucks is that most places only have shiny black left at this point. I was hoping for the navy. Anyway, I just wanted to tap into the collective and see what y'all thought of shiny black. Hot or not?

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
My understanding is that the shiny fabric is a "classic" feature for this particular style of down jacket--I think I remember a pretty recent thread that discussed this. With my own Moncler, however, I chose to go with the "matte" black because I thought the shiny wouldn't dress up very well for those few times when I wear the parka with trousers (as opposed to the usual jeans/khakis). But obviously, that's just my opinion. I'd say the appropriate-ness of the shiny fabric really depends on your aesthetic preferences and/or where you'll be wearing the jacket.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ephemeralcoherence
My understanding is that the shiny fabric is a "classic" feature for this particular style of down jacket--I think I remember a pretty recent thread that discussed this. With my own Moncler, however, I chose to go with the "matte" black because I thought the shiny wouldn't dress up very well for those few times when I wear the parka with trousers (as opposed to the usual jeans/khakis). But obviously, that's just my opinion. I'd say the appropriate-ness of the shiny fabric really depends on your aesthetic preferences and/or where you'll be wearing the jacket.
How about the fact that it's black over navy? I know this is a pure preference thing but I just can't make up my mind. In NY, the only times I ever see moncler jackets are on euro tourists and it's usually brighter colors.

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
In NY, the only times I ever see moncler jackets are on euro tourists and it's usually brighter colors.
Yea, for sure. I only see them on European or Japanese tourists. As for your color options, I'd say navy over black. Navy is just as wearable and easy to match as black is, at least for my wardrobe. I think black is just too common for down jackets of this sort.

Made in California

Reaction score
Which size jacket did you end up getting? I'm a 40 in leather jackets and a 40 in slim cut suits so I'm in the same situation as you: deciding between 2 or 3. My best-fitting jacket is 21" pit-to-pit and that would correspond to the size 2, but there's obviously some extra padding on there to account for. It seems like people are saying their sizing is snug and that I could go for a 3, but on a couple jackets (like "Himalaya"), the pit-to-pit is 23.5" which seems way too large.

Last edited:

TheTruth83

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do Moncler jackets/coats ever go on sale? Offseason, black friday, etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads