• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Umbrella length and handle engraving

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to a briefcase, I've decided I want to get a classy umbrella with a solid wooden shaft and handle for the weather in my part of the East Coast. Maybe something in the midrange like Fox's.

Two questions:

1) How do you figure out what length to purchase? Do you just try walking with it while holding the end of the handle, and the right length is when it lightly touches the ground with each step, roughly like a cane? I am 5' 4" and figure 26 inches (roughly medium length) would do it for me.

2) If the wood handle has a metal plate on it, is it possible to have this engraved yourself, thus saving money? Would anyone know where to get this done and how much this would cost? The umbrella stores just outsource this and charge an incredible premium per letter.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the websites such as Brigg provide a guide for determining proper length.

I had my Brigg hand engraved with my full name. I would not do hand engraving again but would have my initials machine engraved instead. It's nice to have my full name but the engraving looks like machine engraving, and my initials would be enough.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
1) How do you figure out what length to purchase? Do you just try walking with it while holding the end of the handle, and the right length is when it lightly touches the ground with each step, roughly like a cane? I am 5' 4" and figure 26 inches (roughly medium length) would do it for me.

Yes, this is the general idea. You want your arm to bend slightly when standing with the umbrella tip on the ground. But I don't know of many sized umbrellas available in the U.S., especially in the middle price range. If you want to go upscale, Brigg comes in three sizes -- you'd probably take the size 25. Smith will cut one to length for you, but they're in London. Maybe some other folks will know of more.

2) If the wood handle has a metal plate on it, is it possible to have this engraved yourself, thus saving money? Would anyone know where to get this done and how much this would cost? The umbrella stores just outsource this and charge an incredible premium per letter.
Lots of places offer engraving. Any good silver shop can do this for you, and relatively inexpensively.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I had my Brigg hand engraved with my full name.
Thanks Doc!

Jayjay, how did you have this engraving done, and where on the umbrella?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Lots of places offer engraving. Any good silver shop can do this for you, and relatively inexpensively.
Might anyone have actually done this with a midrange or high end umbrella? Just wanted to be sure, as I've heard (and experienced) stories of botched simple jobs. Thanks!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Brigg comes in three sizes -- you'd probably take the size 25.
May I ask what people's heights are and what their umbrella lengths are, just for comparison?

How slight do you mean, when you say bend slightly? Do you mean something like a 60 or 70 degree angle, or closer to a 45 degree angle? Sorry to be meticulous, but apparently this is an area where an inch is a significant difference in wrist/elbow comfort when standing.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Might anyone have actually done this with a midrange or high end umbrella? Just wanted to be sure, as I've heard (and experienced) stories of botched simple jobs. Thanks!

Yes. It shouldn't be a problem.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're overthinking the length. A size 25, as Doc suggests, should be fine. I'm 5''10" and use a size 26.

How long do you plan to stand posing with your umbrella? I am usually either walking with it, using it, or it's in a stand somewhere.

ESSR181

Reaction score
As long as you don't walk around NYC like a pretentious asshole who thinks he's entitled to 3 times the umbrella-air-space-real-estate as everyone else, I think you'll be just fine.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Doc!

Jayjay, how did you have this engraving done, and where on the umbrella?

I purchased my Brigg umbrella from classicluggage.com where the engraving was an option for the silver collar (i.e., metal band) on the handle.

I'm pleased with the engraving but it did add to the cost, significantly. Machine engraved initials start at $45.00 and hand engraved name and telephone number can be as much as $150.00. I plan to go for the $45.00 option next time.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh. That was the kind of price I was hoping to avoid, and figured there's very little gained by having the store do it for you.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I'm 5'9" and my Brigg is 26".

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had success having the umbrella engraved by another engraver and not Brigg or the shop that sold the umbrella?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics