• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that the lens I was planning on purchasing for my Nikon D50 is out of stock at every Ritz Camera in my region, as well as currently unavailable on their website. Ughhhh.

JB

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Meh, well yeah except for your avatar, which I find cute, yet very disturbing. If it wasn't for the 3000 or so miles, I'd say let's ring in the New Year in commiseration. I mix a staggeringly good Manhattan (and I also have five or six really good bottles of champagne, none of which I'm opening, because, well, why?). Meh.

~ Huntsman

good thing i was at Ralph's at 11:45pm purchasing $4 champagne and plastic cups. /sigh

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'm also pissed at my sister-in-law's husband. For Christmas, I bought him a nice rugby shirt off a website. He is a little shorter and a little less broad than me. I have purchased rugby shirts from the same company, and take a size large. Thus, I knew his size would also be a large. He took one look at the shirt, said he liked it, but said he needed an extra large and would I mind exchanging it? Because it was an online purchase from a more obscure company, I have no problem making an exchange if there was truly a problem. Hiowever, how in the hell do you know something won't fit you without trying it on (or even unfolding it)???!!! Of course, I am making the exchange. I guess the ultimate joke will be on him when he walks around in a shirt that looks like a serape with sleeves.

Haha, I got a zip-up sweater for Christmas in a size medium, and I knew immediately that it would be too large and planned on exchanging it from the get go. I accepted the gift with gratitude though, and I did try it on later just to make sure it wouldn't fit. What kind of guy tells you to exchange it outright upon receipt of the gift?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'm pissed (though far from surprised) that the same people who are defaulting on their subprime mortgages are now defaulting on their credit card bills. I have a nice upper middle class job. I purchased a home that was well within my buying power with a standard fixed rate mortgage. I pay all my credit cards off at the end of each month. I don't live extravagantly, but my family has a nice life.

Now, I firmly believe that many of the subprime mortgage holders were taken advantage of by shady mortgage brokers, but the mortgage holders have to bear a lion's share of the responsibility for this. How come a bunch of idiots have to screw it up for the rest of us?! Do you really need that 1,000 inch plasma tv? You had to have a Mercedes? You couldn't get by on a Chevy? Your family of four had to have a 6,000 square foot home? To top it all off, the government is going to bail them out! Arghh...

I know this is a rant but I have to say that I keep hearing it over and over lately and I find it very shortsighted so here is my rant in response.

Yes, there are over 3 million subprime mortgages out there and probably 2 million of them will default. People forget that that another 1 million+ people out there will own a home they would otherwise not.

More importantly, this type of financial innovation is precisely what makes the US economy such a powerhouse and allows it to cycle and adapt so quickly. Sure there is a downside and there will be some pain as borrowers default but you can't whine about it without considering what the economy would have looked like without these financial products in the last 4-5 years.

So consider yourself lucky that all these "shady mortgage brokers" and "idiots" buying big TVs are out there to help keep the economy going so you can maintain your upper middle class lifestyle. I do agree with your last point though. The government should NOT bail them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unwritten missives trying to coagulate in my head, trying to get out, things I want to say but can't, shoot me now.

I need to learn to follow my own rules.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I know this is a rant but I have to say that I keep hearing it over and over lately and I find it very shortsighted so here is my rant in response.

Yes, there are over 3 million subprime mortgages out there and probably 2 million of them will default. People forget that that another 1 million+ people out there will own a home they would otherwise not.

More importantly, this type of financial innovation is precisely what makes the US economy such a powerhouse and allows it to cycle and adapt so quickly. Sure there is a downside and there will be some pain as borrowers default but you can't whine about it without considering what the economy would have looked like without these financial products in the last 4-5 years.

So consider yourself lucky that all these "shady mortgage brokers" and "idiots" buying big TVs are out there to help keep the economy going so you can maintain your upper middle class lifestyle. I do agree with your last point though. The government should NOT bail them.

Obviously it was a rant. However, take this into consideration. The folks who won't be defaulting on their subprime loans obviously bought within their means. Perhaps they didn't know what they were getting into and are just lucky, but, regardless, they're not the problem here. I'm not saying that the products should not have been developed. I am saying that they should have been implemented with more care, by both the salespeople and the customers.

Had that been done, the economy may not have reached the heights that it did in recent history, but it also might not be posed on the precipice of a crash, where it seems to be today. Of course, that's just capitalism, I guess. We enjoy the good times when they're good and hope we have enough reserve in the storm cellar when the bad times come.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Hi jbz and Dedalus,

I learned over the holidays too the real measure of my brother-in-law. At HIS request, bought a shirt (so he could avoid duty and shipping) brought it back myself in my luggage. He says it's big and wants me to take it back on my next trip and exchange it. Not a word of concern about return time limits - nor has he paid me.

For the sake of peace with my wife I will do this for the little c**t.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
If it just appeared overnight, I really doubt it's cancer. Probably just an infection causing the lymph node to swell.

Yeah, I'm even happier with the really nice strep throat I have now.

Beats cancer though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm doing a leisurely 80 in the left lane on the highway. Mr. Andretti pulls over behind my car and starts tailing me closely. So, I'm in your way, then, am I? I pull aside to let him pass. He doesn't. He sits on my shoulder and eventually backs away.

Family member sends me every 'interesting' e-mail that hits her inbox. Chain letters, spam, doctored photos, inspirational treacle. And she thinks this counts as 'keeping in touch'. Sorry, no.

Mr. Extra-large, Extra-shiny wheels on his fancy Chevy Tahoe, pulling across three lanes of traffic to make a roaring entrance to...the Wal-Mart. Color me surprised.

...although... I still make it a point to stop at yellow lights. Just to upset the fool driving behind me. I'm learning to read lips now.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I flew with my family for a vacation to mexico, just got back yesterday. basically, I got hugly pissed off with mexicana airlines and the mexico city airport.

traveling with twin babies and a 6 year old is like traveling with a small army - it really is very complicated, but if you know how to do it it can go smoothly. we have systems, we have flown several times already. so we get to the airport and follow the signs to get out, and the elevator doesn't work - so I have to take the double wide carridge and all our carry on stuff down 2 flights of stairs. then, it turns out that following the sign that was for baggage claim wasn't right, because, as we were comming in on a domestic flight, we actually needed to go out a different door, one that didn't have signs pointing to it. so, I had to take the carridge and the two babies and all the carry on stuff up two flights, and then go around to the other side of the building.

when we left, the next day, mexicana split the family up - so that my 6 year old was in a row by himself, my wife was in a row with one twin, and I was 10 rows away with another twin. keeping a 1 year old happy for a 4 hour flight is not a lot of fun.

for the first time in my life, with literally 3 million plus air miles (status), I pushed a steward - there is a system to getting twins on board a plane - I go with the bags while my wife and son wait in the jetway, then I run back and get my wife and son and carry one twin while the wife carries the other. so, after I get on the plane and leave a bag, I turn to go back and a steward blocks my way. anyway, this guy is maybe 140-150 pounds, and I give him a little push (after asking him to move 3 times) and he flies over and falls over some seats, so that I can go back an get the kids. so I had to appologize to the little asshole for pushing him.

anyway, I hate mexican airlines.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
for the first time in my life, with literally 3 million plus air miles (status), I pushed a steward - there is a system to getting twins on board a plane - I go with the bags while my wife and son wait in the jetway, then I run back and get my wife and son and carry one twin while the wife carries the other. so, after I get on the plane and leave a bag, I turn to go back and a steward blocks my way. anyway, this guy is maybe 140-150 pounds, and I give him a little push (after asking him to move 3 times) and he flies over and falls over some seats, so that I can go back an get the kids. so I had to appologize to the little asshole for pushing him.

Wow, wouldn't that get you detained by security pretty quickly on an American airline? The Mexican air system sounds like the wild west by comparison if they let that slide.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Wow, wouldn't that get you detained by security pretty quickly on an American airline? The Mexican air system sounds like the wild west by comparison if they let that slide.

I appologized very nicely - I can't afford to get on anybodies no fly list.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I flew with my family for a vacation to mexico, just got back yesterday. basically, I got hugly pissed off with mexicana airlines and the mexico city airport.

traveling with twin babies and a 6 year old is like traveling with a small army - it really is very complicated, but if you know how to do it it can go smoothly. we have systems, we have flown several times already. so we get to the airport and follow the signs to get out, and the elevator doesn't work - so I have to take the double wide carridge and all our carry on stuff down 2 flights of stairs. then, it turns out that following the sign that was for baggage claim wasn't right, because, as we were comming in on a domestic flight, we actually needed to go out a different door, one that didn't have signs pointing to it. so, I had to take the carridge and the two babies and all the carry on stuff up two flights, and then go around to the other side of the building.

when we left, the next day, mexicana split the family up - so that my 6 year old was in a row by himself, my wife was in a row with one twin, and I was 10 rows away with another twin. keeping a 1 year old happy for a 4 hour flight is not a lot of fun.

I hear you, but American airlines and airports aren't necessarily a lot better.
Coming back from Maui this weekend, AA scattered by wife, my young daughter, and me into three separate far-apart seats, despite the fact that I had booked three seats together months ago. (This happened to several other families on the plane, evidently their seating computer has a "random shuffle" function like my cd player.) They were utterly unhelpful dicks about it. I wasn't even pushing for three together (although that's what I had booked) -- just two together so my daughter wouldn't have to sit alone. Eventually I had to just work it out with folks on the plane.

On the same trip, the security line was over an hour long. Fortunately, we'd gotten to the airport really early. When we got to the gate, they started paging my wife to the "Information Desk". Leaving my wife and daughter to hold our place in line to try to sort out the seating issues with the gate agent (a futile act), I went back through the terminal (no courtesy phones in the Maui airport) and eventually found a "Visitor Information" booth -- which I figured might or might not be where we were supposed to go. It was closed up, with nobody there. I found a security guard and told him that we'd been paged to the Information Desk and asked if he could direct me there. He pointed around the corner (where the closed "Visitor Information" kiosk was and said, "There's one right over there, but I don't know if it's staffed. If not, you'll need to go down to baggage claim and find someone." When I asked if I could get back to the gate if I went down to baggage claim, he said "Only by going through security again." I told him, "If I have to do that, I'll miss my flight. If that's my only option, I'll just ignore the page." He replied, "Most people do."
We got on the plane, flew home, and still have no idea what the page was about.

Oh, and this was after our LA-Maui flight was delayed 3.5 hours because AA's computer program for assigning crews did not pick up on the fact that the First Officer assigned to the flight had not worked out of LA for months. We were on the plane before they realized they weren't going to have a first officer, then had to wait while they scrambled to find a sub on New Year's Day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics