• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Branding on Cars/Shirts, etc.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
A shirt would be horrid. I was thinking more about a license plate holder or bumper sticker. Something small yet easily viewable by others. If it's going to be clothing make as inconspicuous as possible. Maybe in the color of the school with a tiny logo.
In theory I agree with both you and rockket, but my feeling is also that whenever parents are shelling out $40K+ to put their kids through school, I give them free license to wear whatever the hell they want (haha). I'm sure that some Harvard parents have so much money it doesn't matter, but these probably aren't the ones who are wearing those shirts. It's the ones who are still driving the minivan instead of the Lexus that they could have bought for that tuition money to send their kid to Harvard/Princeton/Chicago/Columbia.
wink.gif
Overall, my thinking is that if the OP is even asking the question, he probably wants to wear the shirts/memorabilia. As such, I say let him. For me, I never had even the remotest desire, so I never even thought to ask the question. But, people who genuinely seem to enjoy their undergrad education don't usually come across as pretentious OR posing when they wear the garb; that is usually reserved for the idiot who brings out his Harvard ring just for a job interview or just to impress people back home, or doesn't even wear the garb but keeps putting "Well, when I was at HARVARD" into every other sentence.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear school or NFL logo items except to and from sporting events; even then I sometimes opt for only dressing in the team or school colors. Also, unfortunately, most logo items are oversized and fit horribly.

Although I'm very proud of and support the universities I've attended, I would never sport a bumper sticker, window sticker, front license plate, ring, or any other item with a school logo. I've never felt the need to advertise my education or institutions attended.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just an article of clothing with a college logo or name on it, you are all overanalying it way too much. With such high standards and concern over what others think I'm surprised anyone on this forum leaves their house at all.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
If you didn't graduate from the place it doesn't work for me.

+1 and I see no problem wearing a T-shirt here or there of the schools one has attended.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some sweats that I bought while in undergrad and in law school that I don't mind wearing because they're comfy. I have a pair of shorts from undergrad that I've had for about 10 years that I run in. While I have no intention of wearing my college gear as a conversational piece, I'm also not going to go out of my way to conceal the fact that I went to such and such school. I treat them just as any other items in their categories, i.e. if it's cold, then I'm going to put on a comfy hoodie to lounge around the house, regardless of whether it says Awesome University on it or not.

Car stickers, though, I can't stand them--especially for people who've long graduated from their schools.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think wearing school shirts or having school bumper-stickers is pretty lame. I went to a good school and I avoid it all costs. I just think it comes off as try-hard. I think, however, that wearing a baseball hat with the logo of your university is okay, since it is the norm to wear caps with logos. Wearing a shirt with your school's logo is going out of your way, unless you wear university sweatshirts a lot. If you do, what are you doing on SF?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I see window stickers from my undergrad alma, I know to watch that driver especially carefully.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
With certain exceptions I see sporting an item with a college logo the same as wearing a Dodgers hat or a Lakers jersey. At least in LA I generally assume that if someone's wearing something from USC or UCLA they're rooting more for the athletics program than making a pretentious statement about having attended a well-regarded school. The same could probably be said for most West Coast universities and schools that are known more for their storied teams than academics (LSU, FSU, ND, UK, etc.).

I wear SC shirts and don't give a second thought about whether or not it's pretentious to support my team and school. But when I see certain non-athletic schools from the other coast...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
With certain exceptions I see sporting an item with a college logo the same as wearing a Dodgers hat or a Lakers jersey. At least in LA I generally assume that if someone's wearing something from USC or UCLA they're rooting more for the athletics program than making a pretentious statement about having attended a well-regarded school. The same could probably be said for most West Coast universities and schools that are known more for their storied teams than academics (LSU, FSU, ND, UK, etc.). I wear SC shirts and don't give a second thought about whether or not it's pretentious to support my team and school. But when I see certain non-athletic schools from the other coast...
Is that all we are to you? The "other coast"?
plain.gif
We'll own you anyday, buddy.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in the past year and a half I have acquired two Balliol ties (striped and crested) and a Balliol scarf. Of course, nobody in my customary haunts would know what they stood for, anyway.

As far as sweatshirts, T-shirts, caps, etc., I suppose they're okay while you're attending the institution, otherwise tacky. Trebly so if you're wearing the sweatshirt of an institution you did not attend. Since I don't wear T-shirts, sweat shirts or ball caps in public and I shun any clothing with pictures (other than tiny game birds and the like on neckties) or writing on it, the matter is immaterial to me anyway.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Well I kinda like college t-shirts, preferably ones with block letters or other simple designs. I'm less fond of the sweatshirts, although I can't imagine what my father would wear all winter without his Michigan State ones. I don't see it as boasting, since many people have t-shirts from schools that they have not attended, but rather a friend or family member has, or they simply support the athletic team.

That said, I rarely wear mine around town unless there is a big game that day, but they're great for sleeping, working out, etc. My only problem is that since elementary school, every school that I have attended has had red as one of its colors, and I look terrible in red. Thank goodness for neutral heather grey.

If I had a child in college, I might a (COLLEGE) DAD coffee mug, but I'd appreciate it as kitsch and use it semi-ironically.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too give free reign to parents who are funding that education (although they shouldn't be posting here...)

I don't like clothes with any words on the outside.

I'm afraid that the day I wear the MICHIGAN tee shirt is the day I bump into Stacey London, and I will lose the tiny chance that she will go to bed with me.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
At least you go/went to the school...hopefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads