• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Twilight Princess. In fact, I'm not a fan of any of the 3D Zelda games, including OOT. A Link To The Past is easily my favourite... sometimes keeping things simple works best IMO.

I've only played Mario Galaxy for 30 minutes, but I loved it. The gameplay, control and fun-factor was so much better than Mario 64 (which I hated compared with Super Mario World). The graphics and gravity features were amazing. I love how sometimes you find yourself rotating your head around while playing.

I bought Super Paper Mario and love it. It's a shame that side-scrolling games have been pushed aside to make way for first person/third person games... but SPM shows that side scrolling games can work extremely well on new consoles.

I'm still on the fence regarding Mario Strikers. It's really fun to play, but there's so much going on that most of my games just feel like they're won by luck, and not by skill. It's a football game for Mario fans, not for football fans. I also wish there was more contrast between team colours - it's very easy to get confused where your players are (It doesn't help that I'm a little colour blind).

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got to the part in Twilight Princess where SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER: Link becomes a wolf. Oooooh, creepy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just got to the part in Twilight Princess where SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER: Link becomes a wolf. Oooooh, creepy.

LOL just wait, gets way better!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Not a fan of Twilight Princess. In fact, I'm not a fan of any of the 3D Zelda games, including OOT. A Link To The Past is easily my favourite... sometimes keeping things simple works best IMO.

I've only played Mario Galaxy for 30 minutes, but I loved it. The gameplay, control and fun-factor was so much better than Mario 64 (which I hated compared with Super Mario World). The graphics and gravity features were amazing. I love how sometimes you find yourself rotating your head around while playing.

wow.gif

Well, I guess you know what you like.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I've been playing Rock Band with her and a friend for the last couple days.. uh, game is ******* hard.

Played this until 5am after NYE party. I've played guitar hero before and enjoyed it, but I loved Rock Band. I'm embarrassed by how much fun it was, and by how terrible I am at it. Drums killed me.

Now I just have to save up $1000 for a tv big enough to play it on, $300 (I guess?) for a system, and $200 for the game. And I guess I need to make some friends.

Originally Posted by bwe
A Link To The Past is easily my favourite... sometimes keeping things simple works best IMO.

I agree, but I'm a video game Luddite, generally. I just haven't kept up with the technology since dreamcast or so, and I was never much of a PC gamer, except for marathon on the mac.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Comparing Twilight Princess and Link to the Past is a rough comparison. In terms of gameplay quality, puzzles and storyline, they're pretty much identical, but they were made at completely different stages in the video game timeline. I was going to say just now that LTTP always champions the later Zeldas in nostalgic value (for example, the Zelda theme song isn't played anywhere in TP except the ending), but thinking back even around this time last year when I was playing TP I'm already getting a sense of nostaglia.

While LTTP has almost nothing to count against it because of the era in which it was released, TP has some drawbacks: released a year after X360, so graphical expectations are higher, voice acting for AAA titles is pretty much required since Metal Gear Solid (though I don't discount Nintendo for that, I don't want voice acting in Zelda), and music should be fully orchestrated and recorded instead of computer synthesized. Also, its substantially easier than the older Zelda titles. At the time, LTTP was at the pinnacle of technical achievements in video games, it was challenging, everything felt new.

I try not to compare games from the 2d era with the 3d era too much, simply because so much has changed. If my favorite games were re-released today in their original form (Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6), they'd get blasted for poor dialogue, ugly graphics and computerized music.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modojo (.com) relaunched Monday. We have a good group of writers (the EIC is Justin Davis of AOL's GameDaily). My contributions are pretty slim (part of the "2008 DS Wish-list" going up later today and have a satirical Holly Hobbie DS review that should be up next week), as I'm developing a humorous column that will hopefully be ready for next week.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'll check it out!

Did you all hear No More Heroes' release date was pulled forward? Jan 22 now.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I've been trying my hand at the new Dragon Quest: Monsters game. It doesn't seem like it'd be that bad once you got into it, but it's pretty slow and boring. It's hard when there are big expansive 3d worlds to explore but the character runs so slowly. I don't think i'm going to make it to hour 2-3 of this game. Back to FFIV!

With my 2 friends(1 roomate the other a pseudo roomate) we've been playing a ton of NCAA Football 2008 3 team dynasty. We each picked mediocre 3 star teams and play on the highest level trying to bring them up. I'm one game from the title with USF in year 3 though. Pretty intense wins this season. I kinda lucked out because i had some killer sophomores initially who are leading my team as seniors now.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'll check it out!

Did you all hear No More Heroes' release date was pulled forward? Jan 22 now.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. Yet nervous. I've already been disappointed once so far this year (see: Omega Five being a ******* mess), and if any game is ripe for disappointment, its a Suda 51 game. The Japanese reviews and impressions (along with the Eurogamer review, but that's Eurogamer) have been pretty positive so far, but I'm not going to be sold until I see a 1UP review or play it myself.

That said, this game looks so friggin' amazing.
tounge.gif
I still haven't seen the American version is action (blood, blood, blood).

Brian SD

Reaction score
No More Heroes' only flaw so far that I can see is that it's being pegged as a AAA title for the Wii, when it's really just a lunatic developer's project. Stylistically and graphically it looks amazing.

You know I find myself agreeing with Eurogamer as much as I am with 1Up/EGM. Also, I wouldn't be on a review of NMH coming out of EGM, considering Ubisoft is releasing the American version, and they are blocking EGM from covering any of their materials.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have been playing call of duty 4 for xbox360 non stop.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still playing Rock Band - I'm now "ok" at the drums and decent at guitar though I don't think I'll ever be able to play on expert. You pretty much have to have a big screen to multiplayer it, I would think. Trying to play any game on my old 32" now seems utterly ridiculous, especially with 2+ people. I should go through MotorStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man again just to appreciate the deliciousness on a larger screen. Beat Heavenly Sword, currently playing Mass Effect. The game is fantastic outside of the repetition in regards to the Mako / random dungeons all have the same maps. This humors me as I used to be able to play old school RPGs (FFVII, Secret of Mana, etc.) wherein you have to kill the same mobs, repeatedly, and it wouldn't bother me.

Link to the Past is one of the best games EVAR.

That's sweet about NMH, been looking forward to it. I never beat Killer 7 - perhaps I should play it again.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I waiting for the drop date for Wii Fit. It should be out of this world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads