• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
That got old.

THANK YOU!
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Dirk Diggler - watch your mouth.

Recent post was well beyond inappropriate. I am not a fan of the poster you feel you were defending yourself against, which is the reason you avoided timeout this time. Next time, leniency to that kind of language will not be forthcoming.

You have been warned.

Ignoring this warning

+ complaints from others

= timeout.

See you in a week.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok I am getting 'no fair' PMs from the aggreived asking for exactly what is 'inappropriate' language....I will bring it up publicly since it applies to all.

There isnt a list of words people can and cannot use. This forum has often been equated to a dive bar, and I am pretty comfortable with that analogy.

So...if you were in a bar, in mixed company...and you say 'oh ****' when someone knocks over your drink, you may raise an eyebrow or two, but you are not going to mortify the room. If you take over the microphone from the karaoke machine and make announcements about what your sperm could do to the mother of another...then that is a different thing altogether.

How is this for a 'rule' - if you think it may be inappropriate, it probably is. Edit it. If you are unsure, PM one of us and ask us...and we will be the judge....and if you have been warned about it publicly before, tread very carefully around the topic, or else be prepared for some sin bin time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the topic of inappropriate behavior/topics/language: All of the moderators are reasonable guys, and we are not going to censure someone out for reasonable behavior. However, if you are going to frequently test the limits, chances are that you going to go beyond them at some point, and that the moderators are going to be less inclined to charity given your pattern of behavior.

As Matt said, if you think that it is inappropriate, it probably is. If you really feel the need to post anyway, at least PM the moderators to ask about it. Of course, if I wake up to a half dozen PMs from the same poster on whether subject X is appropriate, or if N numbers of uses of the word Y in one post are too many, I may put that poster in timeout or worse just for wasting my time. So, anyone thinking of doing something like that to make a point, don't.

Fok.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the edit post feature? I've been unable to edit posts off and on for about 2 wks now. Normally it will just hang up the edit when I try it but sometimes it ends up crashing the fox.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Is there something wrong with the edit post feature? I've been unable to edit posts off and on for about 2 wks now. Normally it will just hang up the edit when I try it but sometimes it ends up crashing the fox.
I get that occassionally with both edits and quickreply. Normally when the forum is really busy. Next time it happens, try copy-and-pasting what you are trying to post out of the post box (you can still do that), open a new tab, and try to get on to the forum. As a general rule, when I have this issue, my 'other tab' wont be able to get on to the board, I will either get the 'server too busy' page, or the 'database error' page. If you can get on, go back to the thread, try to edit your post (you have already copied it anyhow, so just paste in there), and resubmit. Let us know how it goes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
As a general rule, when I have this issue, my 'other tab' wont be able to get on to the board, I will either get the 'server too busy' page, or the 'database error' page.
Speaking of which, are the increasing loads hammering the server? I never used to get the "sever too busy" page, but now I'm getting it all the time.

[ARG, I'm actually getting the "server too busy" error on this post]

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yeah, I am having problems at the moment too. I know J has previously looked at the logs and blamed Yahoo and/or Google bots for the traffic. I remember he IP blocked Yahoo for a while there.

Not sure if the bots are still the issue, or if it is actually this-time-of-year people traffic (ie more people are on leave from work and school is out, so they have more free time to spend avoiding the outside world).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Something is/was running amok with the MySQL server. We're looking into that, but in the meantime, I had them add a gig of RAM so we'll see if that can at least hold us over for a bit. It seems to be doing a lot better since they did that (15-20min ago.)

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Speaking of which, are the increasing loads hammering the server? I never used to get the "sever too busy" page, but now I'm getting it all the time.

[ARG, I'm actually getting the "server too busy" error on this post]

+1

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also had trouble with "edit post" ... using Firefox in OS X ... I get the edit field but edits won't save. I found that if I click "go advanced" (button to the right of 'save'), then the edits show up in the advanced box & the server will save immediately. fwiw ...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm talking to them about upgrading the whole server again sometime soon. They want to get us onto a considerably more powerful machine. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads