• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an Elite from my girl for Christmas. That finishes up the next-gen trifecta in the household. I've been playing Rock Band with her and a friend for the last couple days.. uh, game is ******* hard.

To do -
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect
Halo 3
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
BioShock
Crysis
Orange Box

Recently finished -
Ratchet and Clank Future
Assassin's Creed

Seriously, so many games. It's too much awesome. I finished Zelda: TP for the Wii and thought it was a f'ing fantastic game. I had no issues with the control scheme. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, like Brian, it is the best Zelda since OOT. I haven't played PH though. Got her a R4 + 6GB microSD in addition to the rest of her gifts.. I lurv it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Just got an Elite from my girl for Christmas. That finishes up the next-gen trifecta in the household. I've been playing Rock Band with her and a friend for the last couple days.. uh, game is ******* hard.

To do -
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect
Halo 3
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
BioShock
Crysis
Orange Box

Recently finished -
Ratchet and Clank Future
Assassin's Creed

Seriously, so many games. It's too much awesome. I finished Zelda: TP for the Wii and thought it was a f'ing fantastic game. I had no issues with the control scheme. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, like Brian, it is the best Zelda since OOT. I haven't played PH though. Got her a R4 + 6GB microSD in addition to the rest of her gifts.. I lurv it.

Zelda TP definitely gives OoT a run for its money as best Zelda of all time. PH is really good and fun, but it doesn't shake a finger at TP or OoT. It's pretty short and the puzzles are easy compared to the other franchise games. It's still really fun though, and you should pick it up.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I've been a real Nintendo-contrarian lately. I think TP is my least-favorite of the 3D Zeldas (not incl. PH). I still really love it though.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the Wii overall. I'm yet to be convinced that motion controls are the next level of immersion, and I can't help but think the controls are holding Nintendo's first-party games back. Conversely, I am a lot happier with my PS3 than I thought I'd be.

Really? I've been on the other side of the coin. After seeing Wii's early success I figured we'd have first year growing pains akin to what the DS saw, but I think I've bought more games for Wii this first year than I have for any console since the Dreamcast. And with No More Heroes and SSB:B coming in February I'll continue to throw dollars at the software lineup, which I'm ecstatic about.

On the other hand, the PS3 has remained my Everyday Shooter player. Ninja Giaden: Sigma was great, but it was a $60 port of a game I'd already played twice. They're still stuck in launch mode and while games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are great technical showpieces, they're vapid, posturing versions of stuff that's come before. Eye of Judgment looks pretty cool but I can't bring myself to get it, especially with Culdcept Saga (it's a mixture of Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering; one of the most addictive games I've ever played) on the horizon.

I dunno', this generation has not panned out how I thought it would so far. Come launch time last year I thought it was going to be a bust. All the best 360 games had superior version playable on the PC, the Wii's launch lineup was just a disaster and the controls looked inviting for a series of high-profile non-games while the PS3 was just a mess at $600 and no software. The Wii has come into its own but I'm still waiting to hop on the PS3 bandwagon. Everyone keeps saying, "Just wait...". I waited until spring, then fall and now it's next spring, when Metal Gear Solid 4 is supposedly coming out (hint: it's not). Granted, we are getting the superior version of Devil May Cry 4 early next year and hopefully Little Big Planet (again, they haven't even released the announced beta yet so I'm not too hopeful). So, in reality, we're looking at next summer/fall before the system-sellers hit. Not only is that too little too late to make the platform viable for third-parties at this point (with the supposed lifespan of the console I think it will have no problem seeing lots of great software...eventually), but I've paid $600 for an Everyday Shooter player. I never in a million years dreamed that my launch purchase of a Sony console would pretty much amount to a two-year, interest free loan to my Sony overlords.
confused.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have to completely disagree with you about Uncharted. That game is fantastic. My PS3 library is as follows: Sigma, VF5, CoD4, Ratchet, Uncharted, all of them have given me immense satisfaction. I paid $350 for my 60gb and have been absolutely satisfied.

Right now I've been spending a lot of time playing Rock Band on my buddy's 360 (drums yay). I just got to the point here I can beat Run to the Hills on expert.. Holy **** its fun.

On the flipside, I've been completely satisfied with my Wii as well, sinking COUNTLESS hours into RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles as well as Fire Emblem, loving TP, and with No More Heroes on the horizon I'm stoked, and of course thoughts of ****** face as Snake in SSBB makes me moist. MLB Power Pros rules, Metroid Prime 3 has found itself in my all-time favorites, and of course Galaxy is one of the most beautiful creations as far as games are concerned - period. I have like 13 Wii games. I love that ****.

MGS4 is slated for a Q2 release next year. MGS2 is my absolute all-time favorite game, so as an unwavering fanboy of the MGS series I feel your pain. Just wait, I guess is all there is to say.

Have you guys seen the trailers for GTA4? The graphics are *atrocious.* The models and animation are reminiscent of PS1 era non-mocap.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I have to completely disagree with you about Uncharted. That game is fantastic. My PS3 library is as follows: Sigma, VF5, CoD4, Ratchet, Uncharted, all of them have given me immense satisfaction. I paid $350 for my 60gb and have been absolutely satisfied.

On the flipside, I've been completely satisfied with my Wii as well, sinking COUNTLESS hours into RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles, loving TP, and with No More Heroes on the horizon I'm stoked, and of course thoughts of ****** face as Snake in SSBB makes me moist.

MGS4 is slated for a Q2 release next year. MGS2 is my absolute all-time favorite game, so as an unwavering fanboy of the MGS series I feel your pain. Just wait, I guess is all there is to say.

Have you guys seen the trailers for GTA4? The graphics are *atrocious.* The models and animation are reminiscent of PS1 era non-mocap.

Do you play RE4 with the Wii Zapper or just the nunchuk?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Oh, have any of you fools played Lunar Knights on DS? It's a dungeon crawler that plays kind of like an isometric Zelda (though the focus is on combat more than puzzles and exploration). I bought it mostly because of the Kojima Productions symbol on the game box (like I said, MGS fanboy), but it's actually a pretty spectacular title.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Do you play RE4 with the Wii Zapper or just the nunchuk?

I dunno' how intuitive using the Zapper w/ that game would be. I got to use the Zapper over Christmas and it was...awkward, to say the least. And that was with games that were designed for use with the peripheral (Link's Crossbow Training and RE: Umbrella Chronicles).

Originally Posted by Brian SD
Oh, have any of you fools played Lunar Knights on DS? It's a dungeon crawler that plays kind of like an isometric Zelda (though the focus is on combat more than puzzles and exploration). I bought it mostly because of the Kojima Productions symbol on the game box (like I said, MGS fanboy), but it's actually a pretty spectacular title.

Yeah, I love the game and, besides the lack of the sunlight feature, I think it's even better than the Boktai games. Plus, it seems to be forgotten this late in the year. I'm not seeing it on any end-of-the-year round-ups even though it's one on the best games of the handheld.

Right now I'm playing the American release of the first Bleach game, which is probably the best game on DS. It's a 2D fighter made by Treasure. It's hectic but requires a lot of strategy. Think Last Blade 2 meets the first Marvel vs. Capcom. Has elements of Guardian Heroes thrown in. Just amazing.

I also bought Peggle off of Steam (they're having a sale running until the first, 10%-50% off everything on the service). I've played the hell out of the trial so I knew what to expect but man, what an addictive game. Everyone should at least download the trial. Oh, and I'm also playing WoW again, and it's been a ton of fun so far as I've found the perfect realm (Ravenholdt, my character is Brakhage).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
.5.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I dunno' how intuitive using the Zapper w/ that game would be. I got to use the Zapper over Christmas and it was...awkward, to say the least. And that was with games that were designed for use with the peripheral (Link's Crossbow Training and RE: Umbrella Chronicles).

I didn't realize there was a difference... but I meant RE:UC. It kinda looks like the game might be a bit lame compared to other RE games since it's on a motion track... like those little arcade first person shooter games.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
.5.jpg

Yes! If there was ever a game screaming for a PSN/XBLA re-release...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I didn't realize there was a difference... but I meant RE:UC. It kinda looks like the game might be a bit lame compared to other RE games since it's on a motion track... like those little arcade first person shooter games.

It's a decent light-gun game. I think it's probably worth a rental for a drunken night with friends (same with Ghost Squad, which is really fun and quirky but incredibly unfulfilling).

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
.5.jpg

is that some REZ?

I have been playing Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Dementium: The Ward, lately.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
Last video game I played was Hitman: Blood Money, it was very good. Now I wonder if playing video games is just entertainment or could be elevated into high art. Maybe me or someone in this forum might want to develop the masterpieces videogames need to turn into something higher like interactive art.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonio
Last video game I played was Hitman: Blood Money, it was very good. Now I wonder if playing video games is just entertainment or could be elevated into high art. Maybe me or someone in this forum might want to develop the masterpieces videogames need to turn into something higher like interactive art.

We already delved into that discussion and it didn't go over very well:

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=44832

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet game developers do consider their games as art. Some are, although some, as with other forms of art, are created specifically to get foolish people's money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads