• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie finch line in NYC

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Sorry that I was "hatin on dose foolios"!

I walked by it several times and trust me in there were more bleach blonde girls in their Columbia jacket, Juicy track pants and Uggs than there were those who look as though they might prowl the streets of Harajuku.

I don't doubt that some of the people in line are American, but you're way off base (seriously). The people that look like American "trash" (ie bleach, track suits, uggs) are Brits and Europeans. GASP! Europeans with crappy American goods you say? Welcome to the stratosphere of normal people. Harajuku had its day in the sun about 8-10 years ago and the people who run the Ura-Hara streetwear scene wouldn't be caught dead in Abercrombie.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Okay so it is people from the mid-West and the European versions of the mid-Westerners.

kakemono

Reaction score
Poeple who wear AF look down thier nose at poeple more than any other where I am from. If you have AF pants and a shirt that says Hollister/AF then you are hot stuff.

Its very popular and its just the style that is very popular right now... its not b/c of the quality(generally low to middle) or the designs(same as AmEagle, Old Navy, Aeropostale)... its purely status to them to show off that moose on thier shirt.

I cant stand em... especially when they say something about my plain jeans (my unwashed Nudie RRDS) and how thier AF are better quality and then come out and talk about how expensive they are and how they spend $50 on thier jeans... and how they are cool b/c they spend $50 on jeans. I don't mention the cost of my jeans to try and impress them and just let the keep being cocky and walk away.

as you can tell, i am pretty bitter towards the AF/AmEagle/Hollister posterboys.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The only good Juicy pants are the ones that say "JUICY" in huge letters across the ass. (haha)

Except when it's a waif wearing them, which I'm pretty sure is illegal under the guise of false advertising.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Probably easier and cheaper than the Trad Scene in Tokyo, Ed; they shell out $700 or more for their Aldens...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Probably easier and cheaper than the Trad Scene, Ed; they shell out $700 or more for their Aldens...

Yeah, I need a new look and I'm debating between Ura-Hara and Trad. Aldens are expensive and I would need to move to somewhere in New England to be a full on Trad but I'm sure the Ura-Hara stuff is not cheap and I might need to move to Japan so I am taking everything into consideration.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Yeah, I need a new look and I'm debating between Ura-Hara and Trad. Aldens are expensive and I would need to move to somewhere in New England to be a full on Trad but I'm sure the Ura-Hara stuff is not cheap and I might need to move to Japan so I am taking everything into consideration.

Ed,

You don't have to be New England to be Trad. I'm in PA and I'm kinda trad (at least people say I'm traddy)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Probably easier and cheaper than the Trad Scene, Ed; they shell out $700 or more for their Aldens...

I'll have you know that overpaying large sums of money for clothes is not trad. In fact, Aldens only go up to $600-ish. Your $700 figure is more reflective of the shell cordovan price for next year.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'll have you know that overpaying large sums of money for clothes is not trad. In fact, Aldens only go up to $600-ish. Your $700 figure is more reflective of the shell cordovan price for next year.
I meant in Japan (we were talking about the Ura-Hara streetscene, but there is also a large "Trad" scene around Tokyo). Some of the shell cordovan models there are nearly $1000...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine that this has been posted somewhere else, but it seemed appropriate for this thread:

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The same reason why you never see a line forming outside of Bergdorf's.

Jon.

lol8[1].gif

Exactly.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Okay so it is people from the mid-West and the European versions of the mid-Westerners.

Wait a minute, you never even claimed that AF patrons were lower in socioeconomic status or that Europeans dressed like American "trash", so why bother defending these? F' it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I hate hate hate being from the Midwest. I'm a good-looking guy with good fashion sense. I walk somewhere with any of my friends and I get lumped in with them. My friends of course are hicks because: Hello, I'm from Indiana... hicks are the only selection!

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I hate hate hate being from the Midwest. I'm a good-looking guy with good fashion sense. I walk somewhere with any of my friends and I get lumped in with them. My friends of course are hicks because: Hello, I'm from Indiana... hicks are the only selection!

Wait a minute Mr. Modest and Urbane, didn't you just ask what alcohol to mix with Coke and Pepsi on one of the other forums?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads