• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most recent awkward moment

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Sorry for the blast, just something I've been ranting about.

I've heard the "creeping" slang too. Just another word phase, soon to be replaced with something else. When I was in high school, the phrase was "scamming".

Kids these days!

I find it very telling that in this Mormonish country sexual activity among young adults acquire derogatory or negative nouns and epithets such as creeping. I have heard it for years from black men and always found it sounding very dysfunctional. As if any flirtation or sexual advances had to be colored in negative and disparaging tones.
Creepy indeed.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I was on a 12 hour flight.. heavy flatulence.. The hot silents that smell like sulfur + feces.

To play it off I'd turn around and look at the nearby lavatory and cringe or shake my head every so often. I could see it was taking a toll on the other passengers. After a particulary nasty one, the lady across the aisle was furiously pressing the flight attendant call button. No one came.

I'm not certain if this is an awkward moment or a criminal act.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
"Mormonish country"? What the hell does that mean? I don't know who should be offended more by it.

And "I heard it for years from black men" offers an interesting window into your sex life.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
And "I heard it for years from black men" offers an interesting window into your sex life.
BROTHA BE ALL CREEPIN UP ON DAT SHOO

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
it's always awkward at office department lunches where everyone is forced to eat together at the same table in the same room. just watching people nervously sitting around desperately looking for a way into a conversation and pretending to look like they're enjoying their fellowship of coworkers even makes me uncomfortable. especially when it's the CEO in the room who's awkwardly fidgeting around in his chair. in retrospect, i probably shouldn't have dominated the conversation so much and let him in on our discussion of post-cold war soviet oppression, which i was sure he had a lot to say about.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tsintaosaurus
it's always awkward at office department lunches where everyone is forced to eat together at the same table in the same room. just watching people nervously sitting around desperately looking for a way into a conversation and pretending to look like they're enjoying their fellowship of coworkers even makes me uncomfortable. especially when it's the CEO in the room who's awkwardly fidgeting around in his chair. in retrospect, i probably shouldn't have dominated the conversation so much and let him in on our discussion of post-cold war soviet oppression, which i was sure he had a lot to say about.

You sound absolutely delightful. Can't believe it was awkward.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did a post-Cold War Soviet Union ever exist?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I was on a 12 hour flight.. heavy flatulence.. The hot silents that smell like sulfur + feces.

To play it off I'd turn around and look at the nearby lavatory and cringe or shake my head every so often. I could see it was taking a toll on the other passengers. After a particulary nasty one, the lady across the aisle was furiously pressing the flight attendant call button. No one came.

I'm having flashbacks to Vanity...

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Did a post-Cold War Soviet Union ever exist?

Nope.

Frrrank

Reaction score
Awkward moment? Last year I had what I hope will be my most awkward moment. I was working fulltime and going to school at night until I graduated last year, so I was always the most overdressed member of my class. Made life more interesting too, since one friend of mine from school was a bit of a nut and loved my "buttoned-up and formal" look or, as she later called it, my "about to be wed" look.
She ran a group at our college and last year talked me into being in a "mock wedding," for lack of a better term. Thing was, the group was the gay-straight alliance, or something like that, and the mock wedding was the highlight of their "Gay Wedding Day" event. When she talked me into being in it I had no idea how big it would be. The wedding was held in a church near the campus and performed by a lady minister. My groom was a guy who was a member of the gay-straight alliance. She had us both wear navy blue suits (since we both had them and it was cheaper than tuxes), with very starched (how I wear them) white shirts, and navy blue bow ties (with a little bit of a print), and of course matching white rose and baby's breath boutonnierres. I was nervous as hell, naturally. When they opened the doors into the main church, there's the minister waiting for us down at the end of the aisle and the place was PACKED. Probably a couple hundred people. Next thing I know the organist was blaring out The Wedding March and there I am walking very slowly down the aisle with my groom on my arm, both of us all stiff and buttoned-up and formal in our suits and bow ties and being wed in front of a church-full of people. It couldn't have been more real. As soon as The Wedding March started playing and we started walking down the aisle, it may as well have been for real. On top of that, my sister knows this friend of mine, so naturally she found out about the wedding, and naturally she told my mother, who said, "I have GOT to see this!" So among those in attendance as I was being wed to my groom was my mother, sister, and a couple of aunts and cousins, and a neighbor. Everyone got all dressed up for the occasion, and the way my mother was you'd have thought it was a real wedding.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tsintaosaurus

The managing partner at my law firm reminds me of this story. He is about 55, recently divorced (after 30 years of marriage), and is beginning to dress like Justin Timberlake. He just sits and stares, trying to get into conversations with the young(er) female lawyers or assistants. It's all really awkward. I usually leave and go back to my office asap.

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frrrank
Awkward moment? Last year I had what I hope will be my most awkward moment. I was working fulltime and going to school at night until I graduated last year, so I was always the most overdressed member of my class. Made life more interesting too, since one friend of mine from school was a bit of a nut and loved my "buttoned-up and formal" look or, as she later called it, my "about to be wed" look.
She ran a group at our college and last year talked me into being in a "mock wedding," for lack of a better term. Thing was, the group was the gay-straight alliance, or something like that, and the mock wedding was the highlight of their "Gay Wedding Day" event. When she talked me into being in it I had no idea how big it would be. The wedding was held in a church near the campus and performed by a lady minister. My groom was a guy who was a member of the gay-straight alliance. She had us both wear navy blue suits (since we both had them and it was cheaper than tuxes), with very starched (how I wear them) white shirts, and navy blue bow ties (with a little bit of a print), and of course matching white rose and baby's breath boutonnierres. I was nervous as hell, naturally. When they opened the doors into the main church, there's the minister waiting for us down at the end of the aisle and the place was PACKED. Probably a couple hundred people. Next thing I know the organist was blaring out The Wedding March and there I am walking very slowly down the aisle with my groom on my arm, both of us all stiff and buttoned-up and formal in our suits and bow ties and being wed in front of a church-full of people. It couldn't have been more real. As soon as The Wedding March started playing and we started walking down the aisle, it may as well have been for real. On top of that, my sister knows this friend of mine, so naturally she found out about the wedding, and naturally she told my mother, who said, "I have GOT to see this!" So among those in attendance as I was being wed to my groom was my mother, sister, and a couple of aunts and cousins, and a neighbor. Everyone got all dressed up for the occasion, and the way my mother was you'd have thought it was a real wedding.

sup roland loden of germany

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
lmao

to make a long story short, my roommate just told me that she had sex with carlos (our other roommate). she is also our landlord's ex, and our landlord is also our third roommate.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In my much younger days, I was on the road with a group of colleagues, we were in a small town in Iowa for a week on a project. There were three places to eat, and the best one was a Holiday Inn. So, on Thursday, we hit the Holiday Inn Dining Room. We already knew each other well enough, and after a week on the road there were no taboos left. So, over lunch, one of the group starts talking about deviant sexual practices. Stuff I had not heard before. There are about 8 of us, and each one at the table chimes in with a new deviant topic. Except me

I surreptitiously look around the dining room and see nothing but blue-haired old ladies at the tables all around us. The only dining room in this little town in Iowa, and the local AARP chapter has every table but ours. And we're discussing deviant sexual practices, over lunch. I try to steer to a new topic, but like a dog with a bone, the other seven kept playing "can you top this?" ...arrrg. I slid lower and lower in my seat as lunch dragged on. Funny enough I didn't eat much that afternoon, but those little old ladies were troopers, didn't let on to eavesdropping or going silent on us.

I only wonder what they talked about on the drive back to the nursing home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads