• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your favourite denim maker...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy zombie revival, batman.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hah, great thread revival. This is the thread that led to my very first premium jeans purchase (Levi's Austin.) And I love reading this from LA Guy:

Why don't you try Paper Denim, Seven, Von Dutch, Joe's Jeans, or DDC labs. They are all about the same price range as Diesels, and only slightly more expensive that Levi's Premium. Paper denims have great cuts and washes, and the denim is incredible, Seven's have good cuts and are somewhat cheaper, Von Dutch was great washes (I love their dark denim) and is probably going to be the next big jean. Joe's jeans have a great cut as well; and DDClabs are probably the most innovative jeans company around.

Less common are Tsubi jeans (from Australia). I've only seen these a few times, but I've been consistently impressed by their treatments. Rogan Jeans are the ne plus ultra of jeans, but they are too expensive even for a jeans freak like me ($250+ wow.)
smile.gif

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only superfuture poster facepalming right now at this thread.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Hah, great thread revival. This is the thread that led to my very first premium jeans purchase (Levi's Austin.) And I love reading this from LA Guy:

smile.gif

Originally Posted by Leonard Leroy
I'm sure I'm not the only superfuture poster facepalming right now at this thread.

And you'll be doing it in 2010 when a thread from 2007 gets revived. It's just the way fashion works.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me . . .

I really like my Levi's 501 "Capital E" (I think it's called that) jeans, although they're not that old and some of the decorative back pocket stitching is coming undone. I wonder if Levi's would fix that gratis?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
And you'll be doing it in 2010 when a thread from 2007 gets revived. It's just the way fashion works.
You say that only because you own a large selection of Jordache jeans.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Hah, great thread revival. This is the thread that led to my very first premium jeans purchase (Levi's Austin.)

Wow it's a long way from Austin to Kohzo!
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You say that only because you own a large selection of Jordache jeans.

Please do not make any sort of Jewish reference to me for fear that GDL might get upset and make snide remarks.

CDC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I really like the Levi's Premium line, but I've found that the jeans with the resin wash (Coveted?) don't hold up particularly well. I guess that the resin treatment makes the cloth brittle and easily abraded, if that makes any sense.

Diesels last a lifetime. I've had a pair of the old Kratt "flattened" jeans for a few years of heavy use, and they have held up better than nearly any other jeans (and I wear jeans nearly exclusively, and have tried nearly every brand).

Lucky's hold up pretty well too, though not as well as Diesel Jeans. The washes are not as sophisticated either.

I don't really like Buffalo jeans, neither the cuts nor the washes have ever jumped out at me.

Why don't you try Paper Denim, Seven, Von Dutch, Joe's Jeans, or DDC labs. They are all about the same price range as Diesels, and only slightly more expensive that Levi's Premium. Paper denims have great cuts and washes, and the denim is incredible, Seven's have good cuts and are somewhat cheaper, Von Dutch was great washes (I love their dark denim) and is probably going to be the next big jean. Joe's jeans have a great cut as well; and DDClabs are probably the most innovative jeans company around.

Less common are Tsubi jeans (from Australia). I've only seen these a few times, but I've been consistently impressed by their treatments. Rogan Jeans are the ne plus ultra of jeans, but they are too expensive even for a jeans freak like me ($250+ wow.)

Hmm, I loathe virtually every brand mentioned here.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDC
Hmm, I loathe virtually every brand mentioned here.

That's easy to say now, but did you loathe those brands 4 years ago?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Levis Vintage Collection series and own about 16 pairs. I picked them up mostly on EBay because I have a hard to get long inseam. Fortunatly I found a collector in Austria who is my exact size and we have traded quite a few pairs over the last few years. Unfortunatly the quality seems to have fallen off since they discontinued making them in San Francisco. (They have 555 stamped on the back of the buttons).

For any new jeans, I will be looking for a new brand or San Francisco made LVC jeans. I have seen some pretty cool PRPS jeans at some stores around San Francisco. The detail work is impressive.

What does anyone think about PRPS???????

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here I was getting excited about buying a pair of jeans for $30. Whah.

~ Huntsman

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm simple when it comes to denim. Lucky jeans have been pretty good for me, as have older PDC's. Some of the ones I've bought in the last year and a half haven't seemed to hold up like the older models.

Has anyone tried the borrelli denim? I've wondered if their offering is a just an expensive add-on using the brand, or if they are of superior quality.

tangerine

Reaction score
Imhotep's got nothing on this thread.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

What does anyone think about PRPS???????

I like the detailing on the one-wash purple selvedge ones, which I have seen from time to time in the SF Bloomingdales. The construction seems good. They don't fit me well, though, so I never bought a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads