• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biker jackets if you don't ride ... poseur?

CDC

Reaction score
^ As much as some might like to subscribe to the fallacy that fashion is strictly for our own eyes, it's pretty daft to suggest that we don't care about how were perceived - you're telling me we've all signed up on an internet site to talk about what we look like but harbor no interest in how we are perceived? Well, you might be able to wear a horsehide A2 and not be a fighter pilot, but If you're wearing a authentically decorated jacket or you're joining the A2 with a pair of aviators and some Corcorans - you will get Top Gun comments. I think it can absolutely look tacky, wearing a legit MC jacket when not riding. It really depends not only on the jacket, but on what you have paired with it. If you've got a padded, belted, traditional-cut jacket; that can be very risky - but then not quite as risky if it's got a lot of natural wear - it is largely about context. Also, avoid the harness or engineer boots and the leather gloves, if you're going with the MC jacket that day.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a MC jacket in a non-leather fabric might be a good idea? They seem to be offering these here and there. It would be a fashion piece, but then the whole point is being stylish rather than biking.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just get a bike, problem solved.

Barring that, avoid the type with real armor, or lots of zippers.

No motorcyclist is going to mistake your BR jacket for trying to pretend like you ride, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a style of jacket, no big deal.

roguetheory

Reaction score
CDC;808292 said:
^ As much as some might like to subscribe to the fallacy that fashion is strictly for our own eyes, it's pretty daft to suggest that we don't care about how were perceived - you're telling me we've all signed up on an internet site to talk about what we look like but harbor no interest in how we are perceived?
My point was simply does a person really care that much as to what someone thinks to the point of being unusually pedantic?

I personally subscribe to the "fallacy", because I'm confortable enough with myself and my appearence.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDC
Also avoid the harness or engineer boots and the leather gloves, if you're going with the MC jacket that day.

And don't forgt to shave the handlebar mustache unless you want to be mistaken for a completely different kind of 'rider'.

FormulaQ

Reaction score
No way, i think biker/riding jackets are really cool, and it's not at all posing.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Just get a bike, problem solved.

Barring that, avoid the type with real armor, or lots of zippers.

No motorcyclist is going to mistake your BR jacket for trying to pretend like you ride, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a style of jacket, no big deal.

So true. I find the plain leather moto jackets very nice looking. The thought of "where did this guy get that jacket" will cross my mind way before "I wonder if this guy rides". The only time I'd think the latter is if you're wearing something with huge logos and zippers on it or god forbid... body armor. Of course, nothing with those characteristics will be stylish in casual wear.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew.cmyk
So true. I find the plain leather moto jackets very nice looking. The thought of "where did this guy get that jacket" will cross my mind way before "I wonder if this guy rides". The only time I'd think the latter is if you're wearing something with huge logos and zippers on it or god forbid... body armor. Of course, nothing with those characteristics will be stylish in casual wear.

Unless your a biker. Because I am a biker as well as fashion minded and if I see a guy with a biker jacket my first thought is, does this guy ride? But I dont fill up with rage if I find out he doesn't lol. I just hate when I go to popular bike spots and see a dude trying to get girls with his biker jacket pretending he rides.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Well there are some armored jackets that aren't too bad style-wise ... Vanson Comet (I don't own that particular jacket, but I think it looks neat) All of my motorcycle jackets are armor-compatible. I have both hard and soft armor. If I wasn't riding around I would not use them with the armor in place. Come to think of it, a lot of motorcyclists don't wear armor. I find this is more prevalent with the "I ride a cruiser 100 miles per year, usually between bars" type of rider. (I am a cruiser guy, btw.) So mebbe if I see a guy with armor in his jacket at least I know he's got some common sense.
smile.gif

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Well there are some armored jackets that aren't too bad style-wise ...

Vanson Comet

(I don't own that particular jacket, but I think it looks neat)

All of my motorcycle jackets are armor-compatible. I have both hard and soft armor. If I wasn't riding around I would not use them with the armor in place.

Come to think of it, a lot of motorcyclists don't wear armor. I find this is more prevalent with the "I ride a cruiser 100 miles per year, usually between bars" type of rider. (I am a cruiser guy, btw.) So mebbe if I see a guy with armor in his jacket at least I know he's got some common sense.
smile.gif

I own the Comet; very nice jacket and still not broken in after over a year of moderate wear. Mine has no armor.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style_Deficit

So, is it OK to wear a biker jacket if you aint a biker, or is it just totally not cool?

Most of the "bikers" around me don't wear jackets, let alone helmets. When I owned a Hardley Ableson, none of the other Harley riders would wave at me when I was wearing full gear, including armoured gloves and pants lol.

The riding gear that I see mostly on bikes, especially cruisers, are wife beaters, stonewashed jeans, and work boots. The sport bike squids go with shorts and sandals.

I'll wear a biker jacket on or off the bike whenever I want, and if anyone asks me what bike I ride, I'll give them the most archaic bike model I can think of just to **** with them.
tounge.gif

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
And don't forgt to shave the handlebar mustache unless you want to be mistaken for a completely different kind of 'rider'.

Ah, you are thinking the Folsom street fair kind of biker.
teacha.gif

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
The chest pockets on the Vanson Comet really bother me. It doesn't seem functional at all... and if you DO use those pockets, it's like you have ****. I really hate silver zippers too. But as a minimalist, i enjoy the style of the Shift 967 and Primer jackets.
967-BKRD.jpg
2007_Shift_Racing_Primer_Leather_Jacket_Gunmetal.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the AZ which has the same type of chest pocket as the Comet and it's absurd - you can't even get your hand in there and the zipper is so sharp I don't want to try. Pretty useless. I'd much rather have a chest "gun pocket" like this repro Buco Rider:

bucorider9uv9.jpg

Although if I bought one I might have it made so the pocket opens to the inside for actual gun use without printing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads