• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I need a new laptop

drake

Reaction score
Based on a description of your problems you don't need a new computer, you just need to reinstall Windows.

This is advice coming from an actual Engineer.

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The one I have is about 2 years old, before that I had a computer for about 4 years that my old roomate built me. I'm out of the loop as to what the going rate and standard for memory, RAM and all that **** is.

Used for:
Appreciation
Styleforum
Watching downloaded iTunes TV shows

What should I get (not an Apple)?

drake

Reaction score
Uhhh, no. Even a basic understanding of the architecture of OS X should rid you of this misconception. Let me give you a start, read up about how privileges are handled by both operating systems (I don't know about Vista, I'm talking about XP and below).

Originally Posted by Andre Yew
From a technical perspective, OS X is no more secure than Windows. It's just that the market is so small, not many hackers have bothered with OS X yet.

--Andre

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
I hope they do announce it next month.

Socal, I think you should switch to Mac. You will get used to it after one week and you will end up prefering it. Most people I know were just like you and then they ended up taking the dive and never looked back. There really is no spyware problem. However IF you do plan to purchase a Mac, I would wait about a 3-4 weeks from now...because Apple there is a chance that many of the computers will be updated during that time (due to macworld).

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Based on a description of your problems you don't need a new computer, you just need to reinstall Windows.

This is advice coming from an actual Engineer.

Ive had a mac for 5 years and never reinstalled windows. The thing still runs like new.

Having to reinstall/format is too much of an inconvenience. Ive done that before on windows but then a couple of months later you have to do it again and again...

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's only if you fill your computer with ****. I've had this computer for four years, 3 years of xp with no problems whatsoever; and 1 problem-free year with vista.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew.cmyk
The fact of the matter is that about 99% of viruses that are created are exploitations of the Windows or *nix operating systems and their native programs. I've been working with Macs on a daily basis for the past 5 years, and my former employer has for over 20. In our combined time, he's only encountered one virus ever. Now that they're gaining popularity, more attempts will be made, but I have yet to see a successful virus. Macs biggest failure is hardware, which is why I'll never buy a launch item. I typically purchase after the 2nd or 3rd revision to make sure I have a solid machine. My main computer is a 15" Powerbook G4 I bought in January of 2005 and it's still works as good as it did when I first got it.

Congrats for NEC for inventing Japanese smooth white products... but I said Apple was the one who made it most famous. I actually find the Macbook and its predecessors cheap and flimsy compared to the MB Pro line.

I may not work in that industry any more, but I'm certainly well-informed. I'd like to see you prove otherwise.

so because you've worked with macs for 5 years and your employer has for over 20 macs are virus free , and this is your proof? nice. now I know how this information spreads
smile.gif

Macs biggest failure is hardware? uhhh ... ok.
(Anyone who has any understanding of macs knows that hardware is supposedly their strength b/c they produce the software to match their hardware where windows problem is that their software is produced separately from hardware; that is windows is designed by MS and hardware is designed by various companies and do not necessarily mesh together well...)

Homme - that's right; less **** = faster computer. Simple as that, mac or PC.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
^ That's only if you fill your computer with ****. I've had this computer for four years, 3 years of xp with no problems whatsoever; and 1 problem-free year with vista.

Hmm that is very true. Nice point!

I was more prone to filling my computer with "****" when I was using a pc.
There is more "****" out there for pc computers...

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
so because you've worked with macs for 5 years and your employer has for over 20 macs are virus free , and this is your proof? nice. now I know how this information spreads
smile.gif
Macs biggest failure is hardware? uhhh ... ok. (Anyone who has any understanding of macs knows that hardware is supposedly their strength b/c they produce the software to match their hardware where windows problem is that their software is produced separately from hardware; that is windows is designed by MS and hardware is designed by various companies and do not necessarily mesh together well...)

I was using my personal experience as proof to my point. You, on the other hand, are just trying to poke holes in my argument using no logic whatsoever. I don't need to prove the fact that if you look at the numbers of Mac viruses compared to PC viruses, the numbers are EXPONENTIALLY different. If you don't understand this, let me spell it out for you: 1. Get a list of viruses that affect Windows machines. 2. Get a list of viruses that affect Apple machines. 3. Realize that there are millions more Windows viruses than there are for Mac. There is a difference between hardware compatibility and quality control. My point is that if you were to take a brand-new from the factory Macintosh, there is a greater chance that the hardware itself will fail, whether it be dead pixels on the LCD, hard drive malfunctions, battery issues such as overheating... than the operating itself crashing.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
From a technical perspective, OS X is no more secure than Windows. It's just that the market is so small, not many hackers have bothered with OS X yet.

--Andre

Uhhh, no. Even a basic understanding of the architecture of OS X should rid you of this misconception. Let me give you a start, read up about how privileges are handled by both operating systems (I don't know about Vista, I'm talking about XP and below).

+1 the FreeBSD backend to OS X makes it WAY more secure right there. There are viruses and vulnerabilities here as well, but not nearly as many as when a user is running a system as an Administrator. Windows can be made to run rock solid as well, but it takes a real pro to know how. Sure, OS X is less of a target, and it isn't immune to viruses, but it certainly is less susceptible.

I only use XP to surf the internet and I have to re-install every 6 months because it becomes bogged down with various malware. OS X and Linux have been running since the day I got them for years.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I only use XP to surf the internet and I have to re-install every 6 months because it becomes bogged down with various malware. OS X and Linux have been running since the day I got them for years.

Dude, to what dark corner of the interweb do you go to that you have to reinstall XP every six months? Do you surf without any protection? The last time I had to reinstall XP on my desktop--over a year ago--it was because of a hard drive failure. With only basic AV and firewall, my laptop and desktop have never had any problems.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dude, to what dark corner of the interweb do you go to that you have to reinstall XP every six months? Do you surf without any protection? The last time I had to reinstall XP on my desktop--over a year ago--it was because of a hard drive failure. With only basic AV and firewall, my laptop and desktop have never had any problems.
Now way dude! I totally wear a raincoat while surfing! The most dubious corner is the occasional (read: every 10 minutes) pr0n site. Admittedly, I do some funky stuff because I like to tinker with programs I write and stuff so I often have to disable the firewall. I dunno, it really baffles me because I'm pretty careful about where I go and stuff. Somehow I still end up with spyware that adaware and the like can't clear, so I just re-install when it starts to get sluggish because it is often easier than trying to troubleshoot. I don't install anti-virus because I swear it kills the performance, sometimes the AV is probably why I am re-installing.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand the security measures of both OSes pretty well. I'm not talking about common uses of Windows, but how secure you can make either OS by locking everything down. UNIX is no more secure than Windows XP. Once you have root privileges on UNIX, it's game over.

--Andre

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think re-installing windows would mean that I would need the disk and all that stuff....uhh yah, not going to happen.

The only thing I'm really worried about is transfering over my movies and music. I get really lazy doing simple things like that (the reason I don't have cable anymore is because I didn't feel like calling, scheduling and waiting for the Cable Guy) and will probably just wear this computer out until it won't turn on anymore and **** myself over by not being able to transfer ANYTHING.

Maybe I will look at a Mac. My Mother is still in town and said I need more Christmas presents so that I'm "equal" with my sister (getting a boob job and new car), good of an excuse as any I guess.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Maybe I will look at a Mac. My Mother is still in town and said I need more Christmas presents so that I'm "equal" with my sister (getting a boob job and new car), good of an excuse as any I guess.

This should go into the Big Styleforum book of Quotations.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think re-installing windows would mean that I would need the disk and all that stuff....uhh yah, not going to happen. The only thing I'm really worried about is transfering over my movies and music. I get really lazy doing simple things like that (the reason I don't have cable anymore is because I didn't feel like calling, scheduling and waiting for the Cable Guy) and will probably just wear this computer out until it won't turn on anymore and **** myself over by not being able to transfer ANYTHING. Maybe I will look at a Mac. My Mother is still in town and said I need more Christmas presents so that I'm "equal" with my sister (getting a boob job and new car), good of an excuse as any I guess.
snork[1].gif
Just wow. There's so much to digest here...
crackup[1].gif
Dude get the freaking Vaio G2 from dynamism and get it over with. Did I mention it's carbon fiber? Has a solid state flash hard drive? On site tech support is an oiled up Argentinian polo player?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads