• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I need a new laptop

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
If one wore Thom for the sake of wearing $6,000 suits (for the exclusivity of an expensive brand rather than enjoying the quality or cut), I would agree.

pwned.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
I don't know how much of a newbie you are when it comes to computers, but the threat of spyware alone is a good reason to switch. A lot of people are going with the Apple trend not only because it looks good, but you're practically invulnerable to viruses/spyware... which you are bound to run into if you're downloading Appreciation, tv shows, or just surfing the web. I used to repair computers on the side, and the number one problem I encountered was spyware infested machines that were SO SLOW that it was a joke. That's something you want to take care of frequently on a PC, whereas a Mac will never be hindered by it.

But I won't force Mac down your throat. If you want a native Windows laptop, go for it. Just remember that all the best ones have that simplistic, lightweight, functional design made most famous by Apple. And that's a good thing! The world will be a better place without huge ass "laptop" computers that weigh upwards of 10lbs and are over an inch thick... and without hideous molded plastic bullshit that adorns some of them.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I suppose Thinkpads have a reputation for durability that Sony does not.

That, and it doesn't pretend to be a "media" center like some of the other laptops. It's a business machine, no more, no less. Also, you'll really appreciate IBM warranty and support if you ever need to use it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
That, and it doesn't pretend to be a "media" center like some of the other laptops. It's a business machine, no more, no less. Also, you'll really appreciate IBM warranty and support if you ever need to use it.

I kind of dig that aseptic style. Sterile, no nonsense, almost stodgy. Consumer electronics design has gone too sleek, "sexy", too Apple sometimes.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew.cmyk
I don't know how much of a newbie you are when it comes to computers, but the threat of spyware alone is a good reason to switch. A lot of people are going with the Apple trend not only because it looks good, but you're practically invulnerable to viruses/spyware... which you are bound to run into if you're downloading Appreciation, tv shows, or just surfing the web. I used to repair computers on the side, and the number one problem I encountered was spyware infested machines that were SO SLOW that it was a joke. That's something you want to take care of frequently on a PC, whereas a Mac will never be hindered by it.

But I won't force Mac down your throat. If you want a native Windows laptop, go for it. Just remember that all the best ones have that simplistic, lightweight, functional design made most famous by Apple. And that's a good thing! The world will be a better place without huge ass "laptop" computers that weigh upwards of 10lbs and are over an inch thick... and without hideous molded plastic bullshit that adorns some of them.

Probably doesn't need to be mentioned again, but I guess I should anyway; untrue.

It's other activities that cause viruses; not the Appreciation, tv shows or surfing.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Probably doesn't need to be mentioned again, but I guess I should anyway; untrue. It's other activities that cause viruses; not the Appreciation, tv shows or surfing.
Myspace, installing 3rd party applications with "bundled software", etc. I'm just saying it doesn't happen for some of us. And the chances of it happening are like a million to one.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm mac users only think they're immune to viruses because they don't run anti-virus. If you think most viruses only attack via O/S (operating system) I think you're mistaken. Also, I specifically refered to downloading Appreciation, tv shows & surfing the web.. not myspacing & installing **** on your computer. People who download bundled software will get viruses.. free software often contains adware. But that's not in the course of normal use imo.
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I kind of dig that aseptic style. Sterile, no nonsense, almost stodgy. Consumer electronics design has gone too sleek, "sexy", too Apple sometimes.
blame NEC for coming out with their Japanese smooth white laptops however many years ago and Apple for picking up on it

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My computer is so effed up and slow the past few weeks that I can't even play a show on iTunes without it jumping and skipping. Same with YouTube. I have to let the whole video clip load, stop everything and then play it or it gets all skippy.

I don't "download" Appreciation; but, rather steaming video. I don't know if that helps.
All music and TV downloads are from iTunes.

Not on Myspace and I don't have any of those 3rd party things on Facebook.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a technical perspective, OS X is no more secure than Windows. It's just that the market is so small, not many hackers have bothered with OS X yet.

--Andre

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Umm mac users only think they're immune to viruses because they don't run anti-virus. If you think most viruses only attack via O/S (operating system) I think you're mistaken.

Also, I specifically refered to downloading Appreciation, tv shows & surfing the web.. not myspacing & installing **** on your computer.

People who download bundled software will get viruses.. free software often contains adware. But that's not in the course of normal use imo.

blame NEC for coming out with their Japanese smooth white laptops however many years ago and Apple for picking up on it

The fact of the matter is that about 99% of viruses that are created are exploitations of the Windows or *nix operating systems and their native programs. I've been working with Macs on a daily basis for the past 5 years, and my former employer has for over 20. In our combined time, he's only encountered one virus ever. Now that they're gaining popularity, more attempts will be made, but I have yet to see a successful virus. Macs biggest failure is hardware, which is why I'll never buy a launch item. I typically purchase after the 2nd or 3rd revision to make sure I have a solid machine. My main computer is a 15" Powerbook G4 I bought in January of 2005 and it's still works as good as it did when I first got it.

Congrats for NEC for inventing Japanese smooth white products... but I said Apple was the one who made it most famous. I actually find the Macbook and its predecessors cheap and flimsy compared to the MB Pro line.

I may not work in that industry any more, but I'm certainly well-informed. I'd like to see you prove otherwise.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
My computer is so effed up and slow the past few weeks that I can't even play a show on iTunes without it jumping and skipping. Same with YouTube. I have to let the whole video clip load, stop everything and then play it or it gets all skippy. I don't "download" Appreciation; but, rather steaming video. I don't know if that helps. All music and TV downloads are from iTunes. Not on Myspace and I don't have any of those 3rd party things on Facebook.
My best advice is to download Safer Networking's Spybot Search & Destroy to immunize and clear your system of any existing spyware that you may be unaware of. That will speed it up some, but if it's your internet (streaming videos are loading slowly), then there's not much you can do. That's just your connection being slow.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
No, the videos are not streaming. They are downloaded from iTunes. The YouTube thing was just something else I noticed and I first I thought was my wireless crapping out....then I noticed none of my Mad Men episodes worked.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
As much of an Apple fan as I am, I really hate iTunes. It's gotten better since its release, but I find that it's not the most efficient player. And it pains me to see how popular it's gotten, while enabling people to purchase videos and music and whatever.

If your already-downloaded videos are skipping, then something must be using up your system resources (either CPU or RAM). Best thing to do is quit any programs you're not using before you watch a video. If that doesn't help, then you probably have spyware and you'll need to run Spybot S&D. If you seriously want to get the most juice out of Windows, you can disable some of the eye-candy and that will speed it up some too. If I recall correctly, there's a checkbox under System Properties where you can adjust Windows XP "for best performance".

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone suggest a good free anti-virus/spyware utility for the OSX? I'd like to run one.

Also, my MacBook is somewhat flimsy, I should have bought the pro Aluminum model, but a 15" is too big. I wish they still made a 12" Alum version. Hopefully at MWSF they will drop some new, smaller product.

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
Rumor has it there will be a 13" MBP ultraportable with no optical drive and solid-state storage that will be announced soon. I can't say for sure whether it will be next month, but it's coming....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics