• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I need a new laptop

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I forgot about the fact that Macs can now run Windoze. Maybe I jumped the gun buying my IBM, though I could probably sell it for what I paid..

A coder at my office bought their first Mac, thought for the price, they could have two computers in one. Good thinking, I said.

As a life long Apple-head, the windows is a total bonus. The new Alum MacBook is gonna be sick, sick I says!

I won't buy an iPhone until they are unlock tho.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
A coder at my office bought their first Mac, thought for the price, they could have two computers in one. Good thinking, I said.

As a life long Apple-head, the windows is a total bonus. The new Alum MacBook is gonna be sick, sick I says!

I won't buy an iPhone until they are unlock tho.

Well I mainly bought this system to I could work on a project with my friends so we all got the same hardware and software and it was only $700, so it isn't too big of a loss. Can Macs run Linux too?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I mainly bought this system to I could work on a project with my friends so we all got the same hardware and software and it was only $700, so it isn't too big of a loss. Can Macs run Linux too?

yeah, any sort of Intel-based OS can be run on the Mac now. For 700 bucks, you can use it eventually as a linux based music/video server for your house. I need a new computer for work and am getting an iMac, so cheap.

Also, the new architecture roadmap from the Intel/Apple skunkworks is sick too, from the rumors I have read.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, any sort of Intel-based OS can be run on the Mac now. For 700 bucks, you can use it eventually as a linux based music/video server for your house. I need a new computer for work and am getting an iMac, so cheap.

Also, the new architecture roadmap from the Intel/Apple skunkworks is sick too, from the rumors I have read.

Yeah, I'll be looking for it, supposed to be slimmer than the current macbooks and the cheapest ones to date in order to compete. Maybe I should buy stocks in Apple, the stocks have risen, which probably coincides with rumors that started coming out. Hell, I still might buy one in 6 months and sell the Thinkpad at a small loss.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I use my boyfriend's Mac now and then and hate it.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I use my boyfriend's Mac now and then and hate it.

Use it for a week non-stop, once you get past the learning curve, you'll love it. Look at it like this, will you ever hem your pants with a break ever again? No.

That took some time and now you love it and it's second nature. If you can wear a Thom Browne suit, you can use a Mac (weird logic, but work with me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I really admire about the Lenovo/IBM machines is the little white LED in the lid that some have. It functions to send just enough light down onto the keyboard if you like to work in the dark or dimly-lighted situations. I'm on an HP right now that's great, truly great, but I miss that light from my company machine.

~ Huntsman

Mr. Blue Tape

Reaction score
Most of the hardware is supported on Linux. There are still issues with suspend/resume to ram which of course will only effect you on a laptop. As a long time Linux user (gentoo or slackware) I really don't like my mac pro.
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be reasonable, get an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Anything else would be second best. /Sir Charles

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
But I am so used to right clicking!!!

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a mouse for my MacBook when I am at a desk and the ctrl/button key. I can see what you mean.

If you want a Windows machine, the Sony Viao range looks really good and they perform well too.

As a Mac guy, I wish we had just a few more choices.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use it for a week non-stop, once you get past the learning curve, you'll love it.

+1

If you want you can run windows on the mac. You should plan to do that. Once you buy it and start using it you will not want to use windows anymore....

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The one I have is about 2 years old, before that I had a computer for about 4 years that my old roomate built me. I'm out of the loop as to what the going rate and standard for memory, RAM and all that **** is. Used for: Appreciation Styleforum Watching downloaded iTunes TV shows What should I get (not an Apple)?
Do you want it as small as possible or do you enjoy a hefty laptop? Small laptops are powerful enough these days to watch movies, music, browse web, etc although at lessor qualities than bigger laptops. For small laptops, you could try: Model Number: VGN-TZ150N/B (Sony Vaio - around $2,000 before tax) 11 inches. or Asus EEE ($400) - 7 inches - not sure if you can purchase EEE offline though.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Be reasonable, get an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Anything else would be second best. /Sir Charles
If style, portability, and power are important the Thinkpads can't compete with the Sony line. X61 and SZ both weigh 3.7lb. X61 takes an external optical, integrated graphics card, and a 12.1" display. SZ has an optical drive and external graphics chip and a 13.3" display. I suppose Thinkpads have a reputation for durability that Sony does not.
Use it for a week non-stop, once you get past the learning curve, you'll love it. Look at it like this, will you ever hem your pants with a break ever again? No. That took some time and now you love it and it's second nature. If you can wear a Thom Browne suit, you can use a Mac (weird logic, but work with me.
Used a Mac at the library. I don't think I'd go one week before I throw it out the window. I couldn't get much work done and it was so frustrating to use. Where the hell are the mouse buttons?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That took some time and now you love it and it's second nature. If you can wear a Thom Browne suit, you can use a Mac (weird logic, but work with me.

If one wore Thom for the sake of wearing $6,000 suits (for the exclusivity of an expensive brand rather than enjoying the quality or cut), I would agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads