• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Alex Grey is one of my favs.
theologue.jpg

One of the greatest artists of our time.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
For those in NY, my favorite gallery ClampArt www.clampart.com is having an exhibition of Jill Greenberg's bear portraits (in addition to the "Rapture"-childen crying series in the back section of the gallery).
I REALLY like her monkey portraits. The bears don't show as much personality as the monkeys; but, still are interesting for their ferocity...or in this case, the lack there of.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Been a while.

I'm got my clothes and watch fill lately, so time to buy something new to put on the wall.

I'm thinking...
1) Another Takashi Murakami print
murakami2.jpg

2) Jack Pierson photograph
410x300_afterswimming.jpg

3) Jill Greenberg End Times print "Torture" (smaller size)
torture.jpg

4) Serge Matta men's fashion watercolor/drawing from the 50s-60s
Not this picture! I just found this online. It would be this sort of style; but, a men's study.
wcolour3.jpg

5) John Arsenault "Lonely" photograph
ArsenaultLonley%20full.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All this seems terribly decorative, especially Murakami. I don't especially like Murakami as his art is rather ornamental to put it in simple terms.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I had the opportunity to visit the Dada exhibit in Paris at the Centre Pompidou in 2005. We were moved by the art, the people behind the movement and their philosophy. It was the first art movement that happened in multiple major cities around the world due to advances in technology, travel and communications.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My wife and I had the opportunity to visit the Dada exhibit in Paris at the Centre Pompidou in 2005. We were moved by the art, the people behind the movement and their philosophy. It was the first art movement that happened in multiple major cities around the world due to advances in technology, travel and communications.
Dada is an interesting movement. It's one of those situations that had to have its perfect context otherwise it would have been terribly absurd and irrelevant. Imagine doing Dada today. I believe one of the centers of Dada was Zurich, with the Cabaret Voltaire as its focal point. The big names--Tzara, et al.--used to do poetry recitals and performances at the location; Hugo Ball used to dress up in this robot costume.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember being moved by the DADA exhibit as well, when it was at the National Gallery.

Biscione

Reaction score
That dada exhibition was really fantastic. I went to it half a dozen times in Paris. My list of artists I like is far too long, so I'll name just a few. These are all very famous names, but I consider that to be the case largely by virtue of the fact that a lot of the best artists do become famous. Traditional artists: Manet. Caravaggio. Sargent. Codazzi. Fra Angelico. Velasquez. Vermeer. Goya. Greco. Modern: Twombly (in person his works are like nothing else, and I truly hope I will be able to own his work in the future, although that may be extremely difficult). Dubuffet. Fontana. Ernst. Duchamp. Malevich. Picasso (he needs to be here). Manzoni. Derain. Rauschenburg. Post modern: Matthew Barney (The Cremaster Cycles are amazing). Keinholz. Klein. Hirst. Macarthy. Creed. Gilbert & George. Koons.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
All this seems terribly decorative, especially Murakami. I don't especially like Murakami as his art is rather ornamental to put it in simple terms.

Well...you do decoarte your walls with art.

shog[1].gif

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Missed this thread the first round. Nice list, designprofessor. Here's mine:

Some personal favorites:
Ed Ruscha
Milton Avery
Anish Kapoor
Jasper Johns
Richard Serra
John McCracken
Gerhard Richter
Richard Diebenkorn
Felix Gonzalez-Torres
Robert Irwin
Ruth Asawa
Agnes Martin

ruschamelroseanvinebh8.jpg

mccrackeninstallation1zj6.jpg

serrapc9.jpg

00273002cb0.jpg

Good artists, but just don't like 'em:
Matthew Barney
Damient Hirst
Jeff Koons
Most Surrealists
Gursky, Tillmans / German photography in general

Just bad:
Most video art
"hipster-approved lo-brow/hi-brow artists"

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I like his stuff too. Expensive I take it?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads