• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Only 3 Of Each...

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
2 good decently cheap bourbons are woodford reserve and bulleit

Both of those sound good. I'll see if I can make it in time to BevMo after work.

Thanks!

By the way, my top 3 alcohols are:

Lagavulin 16 year
Maker's Mark
Tangeray

Keep in mind, I've tried more bas stuff than good stuff. I believe my first taste of alcohol was Jack Daniels. It was nasty stuff, IMO. But I did enjoy Jim Beam white label a few years later
shog[1].gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Why do you need three bottles of each unless you are opening a real bar?

Gracious -- I have over 90 bottles in my bar. Over twenty Scotch Whiskies alone. There are different moods for different spirits, and some spirits mix better in certain cocktails than others. It's all what you're into -- most people would say we have waaay too many suits.

Regards,
Huntsman

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Gracious -- I have over 90 bottles in my bar. Over twenty Scotch Whiskies alone. There are different moods for different spirits, and some spirits mix better in certain cocktails than others. It's all what you're into -- most people would say we have waaay too many suits.

Regards,
Huntsman

You are obviously in to drinking. Over 90 bottles?
crazy.gif

PS. And one can never have too many suits (or sports jackets in my case)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jason762
If you were starting to build a bar and wanted to pick 3 750 ML bottles of booze from each category, which would you pick?

My experience in alcohol is limited, and I'm afraid I know more of what I wouldn't.
shog[1].gif

For sure, I'd pick Lagavulin 16 year for my scotch whiskey category. Maker's Mark is good, though it's the only bourbon I've tried.

Anyway the categories:

If I understand you properly, you're looking for everybody's favorites, so as to correlate and come up with a list of well-chosen spirits? Good idea.

Bourbon:
Vintage
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark

Brandy:
Pierre Ferrand Ambre
Pierre Ferrand Ancestrale
Courvoisier VSOP
(all Cognacs, I know -- I don't really bother with brandy except for cooking, and that's Christian Brothers)

Gin:
Gordons
Tanqueray
Bombay Sapphire
(all really different styles)

Rum:
Goslings
Pyrat
Myers

Scotch:
Cragganmore Distilleries Edition
Caol Ila 18
Lagavulin Distilleries Edition

Tequila:
Don't know

Vodka:
Chopin
Chopin
Smirnoff Red

Have fun and drink in good health...

~ Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You are obviously in to drinking. Over 90 bottles?
crazy.gif

PS. And one can never have too many suits (or sports jackets in my case)

I agree about the suits/coats. Yep, ninety bottles or spirits on the wall (and more on the way). I seriously enjoy fine spirits and fine cocktails, but oddly enough, have never been drunk.

Best,
Huntsman

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I agree about the suits/coats. Yep, ninety bottles or spirits on the wall (and more on the way). I seriously enjoy fine spirits and fine cocktails, but oddly enough, have never been drunk.

Best,
Huntsman

I really like wine and can see myself getting in to it once i'm more settled, but I'm too much of a ***** for the hard stuff.
lol8[1].gif
I don't like the burning in my throat and don't know how anyone gets used to it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ,

I do know what you mean, and with straight whiskies and such its hard to avoid some sort of a burning sensation. Do know, however, that many cocktails when made well, won't burn. Proper sours, for instance, are just these smooth ethereal cocktails that embrace your mouth on the way down without any sting.

Wine, well that is a whole 'nother story. I got into wine long before the spirits, and even though I'll never be able to afford getting into wine as much as I'd like, I do ok. Capacity for 116 bottles at present, and I'm running about 60% these days. Come refund time, I fix that
smile.gif

Regards,
Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rambo, tequila is the last of the primary spirits that I have involved myself with -- as yet I don't know/have tasted enough to comment on it intelligently.

~ Huntsman

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

polarbear

Reaction score
The game needs to be stepped up in this thread in terms of filling out the list:

Bourbon
1) Bulleit
2) Woodford Reserve
3) Knob Creek

Brandy
1) admittedly, not qualified to answer this.
2)
3)

Gin
1) Tanqueray...10, Rangpur, Regular--i'd have all 3, but would probably pick 10 to keep within the rules
2) Hendricks
3) Boodles

Rum
1) Ron Zacapa 15 year
2) Goslings
3) Pampero Anniversario
4) Cruzan Single Barrel Estate (borrowing a spot from brandy)

Scotch
1) Talisker 12 year
2) Lagavulin 16
3) Probably Johnnie Black to please the masses

Tequila
1) Don Julio Blanco
2) Herradura Reposado
3) Chinaco Anejo

Vodka
1) Chopin
2) Wyborowa
3) Iceburg

Other must haves:

Drambuie
Cointreau
bailey's
Vermouth

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear
Vodka 2) Wyborowa 3) Iceburg
Never heard of either of these. What's so special about them? I'm suprised nobody's mentioned Plymouth for Gin yet. You all need to get on that.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads