• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
bar/airport/mall is a weird category to create. There is no rule. It depends on a number of things including your age, your style the rest of your clothes, the type of jeans/shirt being worn. Same with shorts but just with fewer options. Chucks and boat shoes are some i can think of now. I think i've seen Chris pull off boots but you gotta have hella swagger.

zegogglestheydonothing

Reaction score
I'm in my mid 20's and I don't live on the cutting edge of fashion - just like to look sharp. normally, I wear something like a button down shirt (short sleeves), or maybe a vintage t-shirt in the summer. In the colder months probably a wool sweater, button down shirt, and a pea coat - or something similar.

My jeans are normally dark blue, but I'm thinking about getting a faded pair. I'm not too interesting with shorts - I like khaki cargo shorts, without the massive baggy pockets all over the place.

I don't know if this helps you at all. Thanks again.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Hmm... I'd stick around longer and let your style, etc mold a bit. Regardless, you can wear a lot of different shoes. With shorts, i still say chucks or boat shoes (check sperry topsider's website for the classic boat shoe). With jeans, you can go with sneakers like vans authentics, purcell or varvators chuck taylors, or go a bit workwear with boots like redwings, or you can go slightly upscale with decent laceups (please don't even think about square toes) , chelsea boots or something like that.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across these jeans earlier and fell in love with them, but figured I'd ask just to make sure....that these things are way too short for me. 28x32's, Levi's Eco 539's, "Vintage Straights":

100_0961_470x768.jpg
100_0968_389x768.jpg

Too short, right?
frown.gif

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they look too short to me. How much were they?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO you need a 34 length, as you seem fairly tall.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I haven't gotten any taller the past two years, but it seems my inseam has grown by about 2 inches.

Which has me worried. I've been toying with the idea of wearing the heck out of a pair of Levi's STF 501's, but with a 36 inseam being the biggest I can find, shrinkage may make them too short for me.

Damn scrawny-ass-cracker genes...
plain.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Definitely. I haven't gotten any taller the past two years, but it seems my inseam has grown by about 2 inches. Which has me worried. I've been toying with the idea of wearing the heck out of a pair of Levi's STF 501's, but with a 36 inseam being the biggest I can find, shrinkage may make them too short for me. Damn scrawny-ass-cracker genes...
plain.gif

What are you going to use the 501's for? A beater pair or to add to the growing collection? If beater, you'll be fine with the 36. If collection, I'd say pass.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
In my opinion, i think you'd be better off buying a more expensive pair of jeans that are what you want in every aspect (fit, denim, details) instead of 2-3 $40 pairs.

Originally Posted by Rambo
What are you going to use the 501's for? A beater pair or to add to the growing collection? If beater, you'll be fine with the 36. If collection, I'd say pass.

Agreed. I've been considering a pair of IronHearts for this, but I just can't quite justify the funds for them right now.

And kind of both, Rambo. Im looking for a pair I can be pretty hard on (yard work, workin on motorcycles, etc...) and not be worried about being out a chunk of change if I ruin them (which I tend to do). That, and I think I could get a decent fade out of them this way since I can't really give my current jeans hell for fear of ruining them or at least dirtying them up to where I can't wear them in public.... It's down to either buying a decent cheap pair I don't care as much about, or ponyin up for an ultra durable pair of premiums.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is wait a couple paychecks and pony up for the premiums. Save a little here and there and try not to buy anything until you have the jeans. I've been doing this lately. Waiting a bit longer and picking up bigger ticket items. One of those instances where quality definitely outweighs quantity.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's what I'm going to do. Up to this point, I've managed to manage a completely different style while spending next-to-nothing by buying used/sale items and doing my own tailoring. If I go with them, the Ironheart Selvages will cost more than I've spent on clothing combined this past year!

But at least they're practical for a motorcyclist.... (so I tell myself
laugh.gif
)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
My advice is wait a couple paychecks and pony up for the premiums. Save a little here and there and try not to buy anything until you have the jeans. I've been doing this lately. Waiting a bit longer and picking up bigger ticket items. One of those instances where quality definitely outweighs quantity.
I disagree. My blow your whole wad just to have the jeans ruined by gear grease or gasoline, or getting caught in your lawnmower. I do agree that you should get a premium pair but not to work in. If you want a double duty pair then the 501's should strike the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads