• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's 1 step up from Allen Edmonds Park Avenues?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Park Avenues are almost unanimously recommended on these boards to people seeking a standard/simple style black cap-toe (often the first shoe in ones collection). They are praised for their good "bang for the buck" as well as well as their simplicity, conservative look and build quality.

I am wondering if someone was able to spend a couple hundred more, say $500 give or take, on a pair of standard cap-toes would the AE Park Ave's still be the shoe of choice?
Essentially, Is there something out there that might bring a little more quality to the table but still be a good starting point for a young professionals "nice shoe" collection?

Thanks

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6xjb8ck.jpg
Santoni FAM <> Ferragamo Tramezza, both available on eBay for under $350 each

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the C&amp;J Audley over the A&amp;E for the extra money. Hoff's choices good for the lower end.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I would prefer the C&J Audley over the A&E for the extra money. Hoff's choices good for the lower end.

Santoni FAM and Tramezza are "lower end" ?
marchal.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Santoni FAM and Tramezza are "lower end" ?
marchal.gif

No offense, I meant only price wise. I think the C&J would run around $425.00 on PLAL.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
No offense, I meant only price wise. I think the C&J would run around $425.00 on PLAL.

tramezza retail is $600+ i believe, so similar to C&J retail. only at the outlets/ebay are tramezzas they ~$350 or less. i'm not as sure on the FAMs but i also believe they are in the same price range, if not higher.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, but I am not seeing C&amp;J Audleys on the bay so much. In any event, I am perfectly happy to friendly amend and say Sutor, Tramezza, and Audley would all be good choices and it becomes a matter of personal taste.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
I have never owned a pair of Santoni shoes before. If I wear an 11D in Ferragamo, 10.5D in Allen Edmonds & 9.5D in Gucci.

What is my size for Santoni?

Thanks in advance.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Park Avenues retail for $315. You can get them for around $230, brand new, first quality. Paying $200 more to "step up" to a Crockett & Jones or Santoni FAM (even if you can even find one at that price) is not a good value proposition. A little better finish in detail, and perhaps better quality leather (I'm not sure about this).

The only reason, in my opinion, to go to a C&J is for the sleeker style, as the price increase is not justified by the "quality" increase, over a pair of AE Park Avenue.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Alden
devil.gif

Only if you want something that looks like a pair of Rockports. The park avenue has better aesthetics. Alden may be good with shell cordovan and at making tassel loafers, but they don't make very good cap-toes.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
AE Park Avenues retail for $315. You can get them for around $230, brand new, first quality. Paying $200 more to "step up" to a Crockett & Jones or Santoni FAM (even if you can even find one at that price) is not a good value proposition. A little better finish in detail, and perhaps better quality leather (I'm not sure about this). The only reason, in my opinion, to go to a C&J is for the sleeker style, as the price increase is not justified by the "quality" increase, over a pair of AE Park Avenue.
Thanks for this reply, this is exactly what I was curious about. I am thinking that I will compare the "style" of both the C&J Audley and the AE Park Ave's and then decide what I think. Plal has the Audleys for M$1499, which I think is about $450. Could I expect to find Audleys for a better price anywhere (non-ebay) or is that about as good as it gets?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
AE Park Avenues retail for $315. You can get them for around $230, brand new, first quality. Paying $200 more to "step up" to a Crockett & Jones or Santoni FAM (even if you can even find one at that price) is not a good value proposition. A little better finish in detail, and perhaps better quality leather (I'm not sure about this).

The only reason, in my opinion, to go to a C&J is for the sleeker style, as the price increase is not justified by the "quality" increase, over a pair of AE Park Avenue.

Pretty much sums up my opinions as well. I think to get a conspicuously "better" shoe than the PA--one where people other than shoe geeks might notice a difference--you have to get up into EG/JLP territory, and I am not sure even then in the case of black shoes. And the huge price differential between EG/JLP and AE just isn't worth it to a po' boy like me. I'll be better shod in my AEs than 99.99 percent of the men I encounter here in slovenly California.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huskyzealot
I have never owned a pair of Santoni shoes before. If I wear an 11D in Ferragamo, 10.5D in Allen Edmonds & 9.5D in Gucci.

What is my size for Santoni?

Thanks in advance.

that is a general question. santoni sizing varies amongst their various lines and within their lines.
if you are a standard 10.5 D US, generally , you would wear same size in U.S. Classic models and Goodyear classic models. You will wear a 10D in Fatte A Mano mostly and Limited ed.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PA and the Alden bals have a 'short cap' - the cap doesn't extend far enough for me (oddly, the Alden blucher is fine.) The Audley is a little larger, and therefore a noticeably better shoe. And for the price, a finer construction than the comparable Santoni Darren.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads