• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It's a Longines "Mystery Dial"
There are 3 of us here with different versions.

unrated

Reaction score
Hey guys, do you think a 42mm diameter watch is too large for a ~6.5 in wrist?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Here's a clickable thumbnail for those interested in a close-up of the Longines dial. It is a nice guilloche
smile.gif

gdl, where did you get the black strap? How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
gdl, where did you get the black strap? How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

The strap is dark blue actually. I actually got it with the watch but there are a lot of sellers of quality aftermarket straps out there.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Thanks gherrman. I'm guessing it's 1960-ish.

http://search.ebay.com/longines-mystery

ebay is a pretty good resource for IDing vintage watches and knowing what styles/movements correspond with different years. If you happen to know the serial# from the movement (a watchmaker/jeweler can open the case for you), you can often get it down to a year or two depending on what other sources are available from the manufacturer or via Google.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Call me sinful but I liked the Prada watches:

09f.jpg

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Me too so I'll see you in Hell. I came close to buying the middle one (even at 44% off I did not); but, now they seem to be the favored Canal St. fake of the Barneys Co-Op employee (usurping a fake Chanel J-12).

Well, don't worry, I'll be there as well. I've got this one (from a year or two back, and NOT from Canal Street); it's certainly not a horological (sp?) masterpiece (in fact, showing it to the guy who services my other watches, he laughed at me and how crappy the movement was), nor is it something to wear everyday, but I think it's fun:

DSC01951.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That's an oversized watch which I can condone. I think it would look nice with a conservative suit.
Thanks, LK. Yeah, I think it's a lot of fun and it's actually not QUITE as oversized as it looks (I just have really skinny wrists). The one designer watch I always wanted, but NEVER could find, was the YSL/Bedat one Tom Ford did just after he took over YSL RG.
YSLwatch2.jpg
The closest thing I ever found that was similarly simple-with-a-twist was a Versace/Ebel one I got quite inexpensively in Japan a few years back:
DSC02470.jpg

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Here's a clickable thumbnail for those interested in a close-up of the Longines dial. It is a nice guilloche
smile.gif

Very nice GDL. I picked one up from the same range recently, along with a couple of others that have been on my shopping list for a while.

longines-1-web.jpg

SMP1-web.jpg

Speedy-Pro-web.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice picks tidybeard
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Speedy pro is a true classic

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Thanks, LK. Yeah, I think it's a lot of fun and it's actually not QUITE as oversized as it looks (I just have really skinny wrists).

The one designer watch I always wanted, but NEVER could find, was the YSL/Bedat one Tom Ford did just after he took over YSL RG.
YSLwatch2.jpg

I remember seeing those at the YSL in South Coast Plaza (I still have the fold out book of all the models) and wanting one so bad. Sort of forgot about them for a while and realized they probably sold 5 of them before they discontinued and stopped making them. If one ever popped up I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Tidybeard: That Longines is beautiful, and one I've been lusting after
drool.gif
(not that I'd kick those Omegas out of bed).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Thanks, LK. Yeah, I think it's a lot of fun and it's actually not QUITE as oversized as it looks (I just have really skinny wrists).

The one designer watch I always wanted, but NEVER could find, was the YSL/Bedat one Tom Ford did just after he took over YSL RG.
YSLwatch2.jpg

The closest thing I ever found that was similarly simple-with-a-twist was a Versace/Ebel one I got quite inexpensively in Japan a few years back:
DSC02470.jpg

I liked those too; I remember seeing a selection at the YSL RG store in SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads