• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Are you inferring that Socal employs the gifting of baubles and trinkets in order to maintain his partner's affection? Tsk Tsk.

Actually the $3500 Dior ring that he wanted I flat out told him I wasn't buying it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Actually the $3500 Dior ring that he wanted I flat out told him I wasn't buying it.
But you could have bought that ring with the combined retail of those other things. I like Victoire de Castellane's Dior jewelry--very nice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I could still buy it for him.

But, I don't like it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Oh sorry, it was supposed to be something he wanted for like a "promise/engagement" ring and that better be something that I like.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Alan C-- nice! I like the look of the bowtie shape with the DB jacket. you didn't wear the silk scarf around at the party, did you?

Thanks, and no. It was actually worn to a performance of Messiah. I wore the scarf in from the car to my seat, then back out. I took off during the event.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Broke out the tartan dinner jacket for an appearance at a holiday party this evening:

JAB Signature Tartan Dinner Jacket
Paul Stuart grograin bow tie
Nordstrom formal shirt with pleated front and turndown spread collar
Red silk pocket square
Robert Talbott Protocol cummerbund
HF Collection tuxedo trousers (not seen)
BB Church's handgrade patent opera pumps (not seen)

Jacket.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Thanks, and no. It was actually worn to a performance of Messiah. I wore the scarf in from the car to my seat, then back out. I took off during the event.

Alan, elegant choice-- I should have known better than to think you wore the scarf around the room.

Mark from Plano, that is one damned fine look. Great tailoring on a JAB jacket, you've definitely made it look like it retailed for far, far more than you probably ended up paying for it. perfect!

Afaludi, congrats on your taste in women-- hope to see more photos with that girl! very nice! Lookin sharp, but if you choose to wear a true wing collar shirt, though, I'd invest in a sized bowtie that doesn't show the unsightly metal clasp on the collar. Robert Talbott, Budd, and some others make them to size/ to your size if you prefer, and are pretty reasonably priced. I wear a sized bowtie no matter what collar I wear, just to avoid the buckles and adjustments.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx;799413[B
Mark from Plano[/b], that is one damned fine look. Great tailoring on a JAB jacket, you've definitely made it look like it retailed for far, far more than you probably ended up paying for it. perfect!

Yep. $59 for the jacket and about $250 for the tailoring...
tounge.gif

I'm afraid that my Quasimodo-like shoulder and hip require extensive work. Tailor had to remove and reset the sleeves, drop and push the right shoulder forward, cut the shoulder width, sew up the center vent, suppress the waist and shorten the sleeves.

I'm very happy with the result and for $310 it's still not a bad deal, given how well it fits. Given that it's a JAB signature, the fabric's pretty nice.

afaludi

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, i have since gotten a fitted tie. I feel as though the jacket is a bit wide and am looking to get it brought in a bit. As for the women, i think I can post another picture for you since you asked, different woman same effect, they truly are the best blacktie accessory. I know Im wearing a vest, it was before I knew better.
n15672900548739014jy2.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Broke out the tartan dinner jacket for an appearance at a holiday party this evening:

JAB Signature Tartan Dinner Jacket
Paul Stuart grograin bow tie
Nordstrom formal shirt with pleated front and turndown spread collar
Red silk pocket square
Robert Talbott Protocol cummerbund
HF Collection tuxedo trousers (not seen)
BB Church's handgrade patent opera pumps (not seen)

Jacket.jpg

Very cool, plus you match the background!

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Last New Year's:

DSC01260.jpg
jhgjgjhgjg.jpg

You look a lot more like Conan O'Brien than I expected (not that that's a bad thing).

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this Brioni Shawl Collar Tuxedo at a formal dinner last week.

91102568.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads