• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar bars

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having just turned 40, I feel comfortable wearing these now, and am really liking the look. I much prefer the safety pin style to the bar. For some reason I feel like the bar looks too perfect and contrived, while the safety pin looks stylish yet almost functional. I find they really look sharp when paired with knit ties because the fancy quality of the pin is counterbalanced by the knit. And it is a look not a lot of people are wearing.

Matt Deckard

Reaction score
A pic from about 5 years back..

I have many vintage ones since this pic and I love how they hold the collar up.

This is a modern one... interesting how all the modern bars tend to be huge when compared to what they were making in the 30's

bavater-vi.jpg

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have posted this pic many times here. It's the most inspiring scene out of all the many great movies I've watched over the years. In fact, this very image helps me cope with the stress of Med School and gives me an idea of what life may look like when I am starting to make some money. For now, I'll can live being poor and improperly dressed.
mad.gif

CT-924.jpg

Needless to say, pin collar is my favorite type of collar.
nod[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I have posted this pic many times here. It's the most inspiring scene out of all the many great movies I've watched over the years. In fact, this very image helps me cope with the stress of Med School and gives me an idea of what life may look like when I am starting to make some money. For now, I'll can live being poor and improperly dressed.
mad.gif

CT-924.jpg

Needless to say, pin collar is my favorite type of collar.
nod[1].gif

Pretty sure that's a tab collar, but it provides much the same effect. Great collar size too.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi J,

So if that's a tab collar, where does the little band between the collar go? Over the tie knot? I don't see any band over Leo's tie?

images%2Fproducts%2FGitman07%2Fsnaptab_s.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It goes under the knot, puling the collar together and pushing the tie up, much like a pin does.

houndstoothzi8.jpg

walksalone

Reaction score
Hi Ive just had a shirt made by www.iTailor.com they tell me they will be useing the bar collars soon if they get more requests it might be sooner

johnvw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt Deckard
A pic from about 5 years back..

I have many vintage ones since this pic and I love how they hold the collar up.

This is a modern one... interesting how all the modern bars tend to be huge when compared to what they were making in the 30's

bavater-vi.jpg

Great look! If I may ask, what maker tie is that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads