• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

theclipper

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a quick question. I have a pair of 3 month old APC NS. They have never been washed yet. They are not super dirty but I wanted to soak them to get rid of all the starch. Would it be ok to just let them sit in cold water? Is this a good idea, or will I lose alot of dye? If anyone knows what the best way is to get rid of the starch I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

boo

Reaction score

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theclipper
Hi,

I have a quick question. I have a pair of 3 month old APC NS. They have never been washed yet. They are not super dirty but I wanted to soak them to get rid of all the starch. Would it be ok to just let them sit in cold water? Is this a good idea, or will I lose alot of dye? If anyone knows what the best way is to get rid of the starch I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I soaked mine for about an hour in hot water and then threw them in the dryer. I lost some color but not much. They are a lot better looking without the starch so the initial disappointment over the inevitable loss of color faded quickly.

Try not to agitate them at all as I've read that it's the agitation of the dye that causes the color loss as the dye is not normally water soluble (or something like that). And maybe put a little woolite dark in the water if they are dirty. And turn them inside out too.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Are Gap 1969 jeans...or 1969 collection jeans exclusive like the goughs etc? I tried on a pair in my local gap tonite and they were really nice Japanese selvage with button fly and decent details aside from the the starched 'combs'. I asked if they had any other sizes and the lady told me that was the only pair they had because it was an online return. So i looked then up online all to no avail.

A little help?

thanks

robbie

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a pair of the 1969 in raw selvage a while back for $20.00. Upon discussing it here, the popular consensus was that the selvage seam was faked. Also, the quality of these next to even low in premium denim like APC or Nudie is quite low. I ended up giving mine to a friend, but if you won't be able to get something raw for several months the Morrisons are alright.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
And maybe put a little woolite dark in the water if they are dirty. And turn them inside out too.

Only use Woolite Dark if you're washing them in a machine! If you put some in the tub, almost no amount of hand wringing and rinsing will completely remove all the detergent. They will smell soapy and feel weird. Also, if you had to try to wash out the Woolite, that will agitate the jeans some and they'll lose more indigo.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
Only use Woolite Dark if you're washing them in a machine! If you put some in the tub, almost no amount of hand wringing and rinsing will completely remove all the detergent. They will smell soapy and feel weird. Also, if you had to try to wash out the Woolite, that will agitate the jeans some and they'll lose more indigo.

My bad...thanks for clearing that up! I can't find the instructions that came with my apc's and I was going by memory.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opnions on Nom De Guerre's Narrow Fit in Black? Fit true to size? What are the made of? warp/weft both black? Are they amazing or simply ok? How narrow are they? Thanks!

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb blazer question: If my shoulders measure 18" why does a jacket that measures 17" fit?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb blazer question: If my shoulders measure 18" why does a jacket that measures 17" fit?

cause somebody screwed up one or both measurements?

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
cause somebody screwed up one or both measurements?

Nope. I measured it today using the A. Harris method. And my tailor measured me...Maybe it doesnt fit right I dunno I never wore a blazer before.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. I measured it today using the A. Harris method. And my tailor measured me...Maybe it doesnt fit right I dunno I never wore a blazer before.

ok, how did your tailor measure your shoulder - across the back, or the top? It's possible that if the tape wraps around a little bit, you've got a curved measurement versus a linear point to point measurement.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
ok, how did your tailor measure your shoulder - across the back, or the top? It's possible that if the tape wraps around a little bit, you've got a curved measurement versus a linear point to point measurement.

I see...I just wanted to know for future reference if there is a discrepancy between measured length of a jacket and shoulder length that is, if I am an 18" i should buy an 18" jacket.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I found a pair of the 1969 in raw selvage a while back for $20.00. Upon discussing it here, the popular consensus was that the selvage seam was faked. Also, the quality of these next to even low in premium denim like APC or Nudie is quite low. I ended up giving mine to a friend, but if you won't be able to get something raw for several months the Morrisons are alright.

yeah, these were different and had redline selvage rather than the blue of the ones from this past summer.

robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads