• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay seller Parisvegas - just received my items

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm convinced he has quite a few people working for him. They likely just raid the Las Vegas thrifts and get anything of decent quality.

I doubt that. His start prices, and his final sale prices for that matter almost certainly indicate that his inventory is obtained at no cost.

At the prices he sells his items for, I couldn't see him buying them even at Thrift store prices.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on my stuff, I was hoping it would be here when I got home from work. Vegas to Nebraska is not that far.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not good news, at all.

I also bought a dozen things from parisvegas last Sunday, mostly for resale. They waited till Thursday to ship out the item, which irked me a bit since I was leaving the country in Friday and wouldn't actually receive the goods till I come back in mid-Jan. With the reports from VMan and others who have received their items, it seems like I won't be able to sleep peacefully for another month.
frown.gif

arced

Reaction score
My guess, judging from how wrinkled the clothes are, is that he's buying bales of clothing from wholesalers. About 80-90% of the clothes that are donated never make it to the floor, but are baled up and sent abroad. The bales are graded by quality and the worst stuff is shipped to Africa (where there's a thriving re-sale market that's knocked out local clothing makers) and the better stuff goes to Latin America and other places. Judging by the prices, wrinkles, and treatment of it, that's my guess. I've seen his auctions for years, but it's only just struck me that that's what he's doing (if I'm correct).

Off topic, but if you're interested in the global trade of used clothing, there's been a lot written on it -- "travels of a tee-shirt" or "salaula" are places to start.

Still, I hope my stuff doesn't come from the "Grade D" bale...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I've been lucky. I've bought from ParisVegas atleast 8 times in the past, this past Sunday making one more and I've only had one problem in the past. He seems to bag/seal his inventory after taking two pictures so he can't really take any more. This also prevents him from giving out measurements, hence the reason I've gotten several items that did not fit. I bought 8 things from his sale not yesterday, but the Sunday previous and one blazer had holes in the shoulder. Most likely moth holes. I paid $4.99 for it, so what the hell....I gave it to my brother who'll wear it regardless. The other 7 items are mint, including a gorgeous Victor Victoria linen jacket with bone buttons that I got for $6! I bought about 10 more things yesterday, hope this didn't jinx my luck! As for shipping, in the past they've always shipped out the day after the auction ended (Monday). I'm guessing since he had to much listed the past couple weeks, it left him overwhelmed and it took some time to get all the orders set to go. However, my order yesterday was shipped promptly today, according to Paypal.

As for where he gets his stuff, I asked him once and got no reply. Most of the stuff he finds is really nice and I can't really see a lot of this stuff being from a thrift, let alone being given to him. His prices also made me think it can't be thrift stuff, as he gets a lot of nice, but obscure brands (many from Yoox) that end at his starting price with one bid, which makes one think he'd be losing out on $.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Maybe he also gets the stuff from hotel Lost & Founds.
Shame on you, LK. No IG would dare stoop so low. Next you'll be telling me he sends his wife to do the dirty work.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Shame on you, LK. No IG would dare stoop so low.

Next you'll be telling me he sends his wife to do the dirty work.

What is an IG?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From time to time, parked on various commercial properties, I see dumpsters designed to receive clothing. They often have the word "clothes" on the side and some vague symbol that suggests charity -- say, a picture of the planet. As in, "Give clothes to the planet." There's no specific claim that such things exist for charitable purposes. I often wonder who empties them, and these days, I bet, the best of all that stuff goes to ebay while the junk would be sold, I imagine, by the bale. Or donated to Goodwill for a tax write-off.

That parisvegas knows a thing about clothes can be seen in the fact that he/she does not list junk brands. The stuff sold under that ebay idea looks to me like the "good stuff" skimmed off the top of a much larger quantity of items gathered at no cost.

All that stuff looks abandoned to me: forgotten in a hotel, maybe, or thrown into a "charity"-looking dumpster, maybe. I don't know. I'm not surprised that it's not so much "NWT" or "mint" condition.

The whole set-up looks like someone's get-rich-quick scheme. It's probably working. I doubt anyone feels bad about lying about condition or overlooking faults. It would be easy enough to rationalize such deceit by thinking that people "get what they pay for."

The stuff that looks to have been left at the dry cleaners or the alterations tailor is not so wrinkled. And it's often listed as "just professionally cleaned!"

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it was left in hotels, or else was from some auction of lost luggage. I bought a Barneys sweater a few months ago....was in good condition, but was not a men's size medium, rather a woman's
plain.gif
Am now awaiting one pair of incotex trousers and a Polo pocket square....we'll see what happens.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
From time to time, parked on various commercial properties, I see dumpsters designed to receive clothing. They often have the word "clothes" on the side and some vague symbol that suggests charity -- say, a picture of the planet. As in, "Give clothes to the planet." There's no specific claim that such things exist for charitable purposes. I often wonder who empties them, and these days, I bet, the best of all that stuff goes to ebay while the junk would be sold, I imagine, by the bale. Or donated to Goodwill for a tax write-off.

That parisvegas knows a thing about clothes can be seen in the fact that he/she does not list junk brands. The stuff sold under that ebay idea looks to me like the "good stuff" skimmed off the top of a much larger quantity of items gathered at no cost.

All that stuff looks abandoned to me: forgotten in a hotel, maybe, or thrown into a "charity"-looking dumpster, maybe. I don't know. I'm not surprised that it's not so much "NWT" or "mint" condition.

The whole set-up looks like someone's get-rich-quick scheme. It's probably working. I doubt anyone feels bad about lying about condition or overlooking faults. It would be easy enough to rationalize such deceit by thinking that people "get what they pay for."

The stuff that looks to have been left at the dry cleaners or the alterations tailor is not so wrinkled. And it's often listed as "just professionally cleaned!"

Classy operation, clearly!
laugh.gif

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

I know of a gentleman locally who runs several donation sites such as this. They are sanatized, bailed, and exported to China at a decent profit.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
I know of a gentleman locally who runs several donation sites such as this. They are sanatized, bailed, and exported to China at a decent profit.

Ah, like the ever popular "charity" thrift store with ambiguous owners. Maybe you don't know the type, but there are so many of those here in the midwest. A big, "Jesus Loves You" on the window, signs asking for donations... but paid employees that can't tell you where the money goes, only that they have a boss.

I think... there are a lot of for profit companies masquerading as charities in America today.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Internet Gentleman, often found in the best hotels, private clubs, bespoke operations. At least in their minds. Also, found at the lost and found bins of the aforementioned places.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads