• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As mentioned above, I picked these up yesterday, silk hose by Pantherella, grosgrain bowtie by Hanauer:

p1011759so4.jpg

I like the points on the bow, and I wanted something other than plain black for the socks. I think the pindots add interest while still being understated.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crossposted from the 'recent purchases' thread in S&D:
picture1ms0.png
Gucci cotton/silk waistcoat. For my wedding.
blush.gif
No, I do not have an obsidian, chiseled bod. It's more of an olive color.
biggrin.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow-- I'd like to see that thistle-shaped bowtie when tied; looks like it will be great.

That's some twill vest, also! very nice!!!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red tails are also worn by toastmasters, my local vintage emporium has an example next to the till, not had the balls to try it on yet
blush.gif

They haven't got my size (42<44 depending on cut) in the standard tails they carry either.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ringo

Reaction score
The DB looks the sharpest to my eyes. How often do you wear formal attire? Three tuxes seems like a lot, despite all of them being different styles.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From last night...

oxxforddj07dec14dv6.jpg

Oxxford db dj
Zegna shirt
Hanauer tie
red silk pocket square
Park Roger dress set
Pantherella silk hose with white pindots
AE Park Avenues (I know, I know--give me time)
white silk opera scarf (not pictured)

p1060381ay5.jpg

2007dec14messiahrn1.jpg

(My wife would complain at the posting of this picture, but she had just finished singing Messiah so was not at her freshest. That's her required concert dress she would also want pointed out as she hates it.)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good Alan.

I don't have a very recent black tie snap but here's one from a little while back:

blacktiesfbz1.jpg

Apologies for the crappy posture and the cigs (not mine) in the foreground.

Most of it's from Ede & Ravenscroft I think. The only change in my current rig is that I've just bought a formal low cut black waistcoat to replace that infernal cummerbund which kept coming undone.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan C-- nice! I like the look of the bowtie shape with the DB jacket. you didn't wear the silk scarf around at the party, did you?

Holdfast-- nice photo, but why cut out the woman to your right? that would have been the best part....
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Holdfast-- nice photo, but why cut out the woman to your right? that would have been the best part....
smile.gif

She was, but I don't post photos of people if they haven't consented. To having their photo shown online.
laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I just bought my bf this Alexander McQueen vest for Christmas:
hohoho006.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socal - how many presents (I won't be distasteful and ask how much) did you buy for your bf in the last couple months?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Socal - how many presents did you buy for your bf in the last couple months?
Are you inferring that Socal employs the gifting of baubles and trinkets in order to maintain his partner's affection? Tsk Tsk.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Socal - how many presents (I won't be distasteful and ask how much) did you buy for your bf in the last couple months?

Well we've had our anniversary on the 5th and then Christmas is coming up so it might seem like a lot more than if they were staggered.

I think they are all in the SW&D recent purchases thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics