• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mitchell Report

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Down goes the Rocket
bounce2.gif

Judgment day arrived for baseball's steroids era, with the Mitchell report set to be released and posted on the Internet for all to see.

The first name to emerge Thursday was seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens.

ESPN.com reported that Brian McNamee, a former trainer for the Yankees and Clemens, said information he gave Mitchell on supplying the pitcher with steroids is in the report. The Web site, citing an unidentified source close to the trainer, said McNamee told investigators he supplied Clemens with steroids.

Randy Hendricks, Clemens' agent, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Mitchell's report exposes a "serious drug culture within baseball, from top to bottom," fingers MVPs and All-Stars and calls for beefed-up testing by an outside agency to clean up the game, The Associated Press learned.

The report by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will include names of 60 to 80 players linked to performance-enhancing substances and plenty more information that exposes "deep problems" afflicting the sport, one of two sources with knowledge of the findings told the AP. Both sources said the report would not address amphetamines.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Thoughts?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN's Bill Simmons just had an orgasm. No doubt he will devote an entire column to this revelation, unless the report also implicates Manny, Big Papi, and Schilling, in which case not a peep.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gee. An athlete adds 20 pounds of muscle in the off season. Must be the conditioning program. Clemens on steroids, hard to imagine.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
ESPN's Bill Simmons just had an orgasm. No doubt he will devote an entire column to this revelation, unless the report also implicates Manny, Big Papi, and Schilling, in which case not a peep.

I gather from your posts that you hate Bill Simmons and Boston sports fans in general, and there's no doubt Simmons is a homer, but I'd be very surprised if he shies away from writing about the report just because some Red Sox players are implicated. He's as critical about Boston sports teams as anyone. Actually, the only player I'd be truly stunned about if named is Schilling, just because he's been so vocal about it. Of course, hypocrisy is nothing new in sports, but Schilling generally strikes me as too smart (though a blowhard, no doubt) to dig himself in this kind of hole.

As for the report itself, while the reputations of the players who are named will no doubt be tainted, the report seems to be based largely on third party hearsay (most notably a former Mets clubhouse attendent or trainer, or whatever). As such, many are already questioning its viability. It doesn't help that George Mitchell, who I think generally is a good man, has ties to the Red Sox. Also, if all the report names is 60 to 80 players in total, doesn't this mean that the steroid issue has been overblown (or, more likely, doesn't it mean that the report is deeply flawed)?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I gather from your posts that you hate Bill Simmons and Boston sports fans in general, and there's no doubt Simmons is a homer, but I'd be very surprised if he shies away from writing about the report just because some Red Sox players are implicated. He's as critical about Boston sports teams as anyone.
I actually like Bill Simmons a lot. His Sports Guy columns and chats are the only must-read on the internet for me other than StyleForum, and his column on the death of Len Bias is the best piece on that subject I have read. I do find him a bit annoying when he goes into homer mode, but he gets a pass for being a lifelong NE resident. I just can't stand the bandwagon hoppers.
smile.gif

Given Simmons's transparent man crushes, I cannot imagine him ever writing something negative about Big Papi. Or Basketball Jesus, Tom Brady, or KG, for that matter.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the names I saw posted on the Houston Chronicle website (copy and paste). Don't put too much specualation into this, given this info came from the comments section, however I'm not surprised by some of the players listed.

gblakeb wrote:
here is the list
Manny Alexander
Rick Ankiel
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Aarn Boone
Rafael Bettancourt
Bret Boone
Milton Bradley
David Bell
Dante Bichette
Albert Belle
Paul Byrd
Wil Cordero
Ken Caminiti
Mike Cameron
Ramon Castro
Jose Canseco
Ozzie Canseco
Roger Clemens
Paxton Crawford
Wilson Delgado
Lenny Dykstra
Johnny Damon
Carl Everett
Kyle Farnsworth
Ryan Franklin
Troy Glaus
Rich Garces
Jason Grimsley
Juan Gonzalez
Eric Gagne
Nomar Garciaparra
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Jose Guillen
Jay Gibbons
Juan Gonzalez
Clay Hensley
Jerry Hairston
Felix Heredia, Jr.
Darren Holmes
Wally Joyner
Darryl Kile
Matt Lawton
Raul Mondesi
Mark McGwire
Guillermo Mota
Robert Machado
Damian Moss
Abraham Nunez
Trot Nixon
Jose Offerman
Andy Pettitte
Mark Prior
Neifi Perez
Rafael Palmiero
Albert Pujols
Brian Roberts
Juan Rincon
John Rocker
Pudge Rodriguez
Sammy Sosa
Scott Schoenweiis
David Segui
Alex Sanchez
Gary Sheffield
Miguel Tejada
Julian Tavarez
Fernando Tatis
Maurice Vaughn
Jason Varitek
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Kerry Wood

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
These are the names I saw posted on the Houston Chronicle website (copy and paste). Don't put too much specualation into this, given this info came from the comments section, however I'm not surprised by some of the players listed.

gblakeb wrote:
here is the list
Manny Alexander
Rick Ankiel
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Aarn Boone
Rafael Bettancourt
Bret Boone
Milton Bradley
David Bell
Dante Bichette
Albert Belle
Paul Byrd
Wil Cordero
Ken Caminiti
Mike Cameron
Ramon Castro
Jose Canseco
Ozzie Canseco
Roger Clemens
Paxton Crawford
Wilson Delgado
Lenny Dykstra
Johnny Damon
Carl Everett
Kyle Farnsworth
Ryan Franklin
Troy Glaus
Rich Garces
Jason Grimsley
Juan Gonzalez
Eric Gagne
Nomar Garciaparra
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Jose Guillen
Jay Gibbons
Juan Gonzalez
Clay Hensley
Jerry Hairston
Felix Heredia, Jr.
Darren Holmes
Wally Joyner
Darryl Kile
Matt Lawton
Raul Mondesi
Mark McGwire
Guillermo Mota
Robert Machado
Damian Moss
Abraham Nunez
Trot Nixon
Jose Offerman
Andy Pettitte
Mark Prior
Neifi Perez
Rafael Palmiero
Albert Pujols
Brian Roberts
Juan Rincon
John Rocker
Pudge Rodriguez
Sammy Sosa
Scott Schoenweiis
David Segui
Alex Sanchez
Gary Sheffield
Miguel Tejada
Julian Tavarez
Fernando Tatis
Maurice Vaughn
Jason Varitek
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Kerry Wood

There are really only 5-6 big names here. Doesn't Milton Bradley make board games? And why take steroids if you are still going to just be a mediocre player?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I actually like Bill Simmons a lot. His Sports Guy columns and chats are the only must-read on the internet for me other than StyleForum, and his column on the death of Len Bias is the best piece on that subject I have read. I do find him a bit annoying when he goes into homer mode, but he gets a pass for being a lifelong NE resident. I just can't stand the bandwagon hoppers.
smile.gif

Given Simmons's transparent man crushes, I cannot imagine him ever writing something negative about Big Papi. Or Basketball Jesus, Tom Brady, or KG, for that matter.

I like Simmons too -- he's really the only sports writer I make an effort to read semi-regularly. He's obviously a homer, but it doesn't really bother me because he's very up-front in identifying his biases (often in a very funny way), and I've known him to acknowledge when one of his previously-articulated statements is proved to have been wrong.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
There are really only 5-6 big names here. Doesn't Milton Bradley make board games? And why take steroids if you are still going to just be a mediocre player?

Yes, should we assume that steriod use added 10 mph to Paul Byrd's heater?

I had heard rumors about Rick Ankiel before, which is a shame because otherwise his comeback is such a compelling story.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
To keep from being a lousy player (by MLB standards). I suppose it could made the difference between a shot at "The Show" and languishing in the minors. Besides, I can see how a journeyman would expect to fly under the radar and not have anyone take notice. Harder to understand why a marquee player would take the risk.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yes, should we assume that steriod use added 10 mph to Paul Byrd's heater?
As I understand it, the primary appeal for pitchers is reduced recovery time.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious(Bonds, Palmeiro, Sheffield, Sosa. Giambi, McGwire etc.), we now know about Clemens, Pujols, Pettite, Pudge Rodriguez, Tejada, Bagwell, Garciaparra, Gagne, Glaus... At least 10 potential future HOFers in there. All I have to say is: good work, (former) Sen. Mitchell.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a list about steriods or HGH? I thought Mitchell was investigating both?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads