• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open-Letter to The SF Grammar-Nazis

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly solid understanding of grammar rules but I'll admit to letting my standards slide when posting on style forum. That being said, I hate it when people misuse there, their, and they're.

As a matter of preferece, I always insert a coma after the last "item" in a list even though it's old fashioned to do so.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer grammar Nazi's over all other kinds of Nazi's.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Probably before my time. I've not seen one episode of Hogans Heroes.
Your cultural education is woefully incomplete.
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You rule. I'm proud to think that I have gotten 2 lawyers to start using kthxbye. You should use that in litigation. It leaves no space for rebuttal or argument!
d00d, I wz l33t before I ever met you. I actually learned most of my l33tspeak in UO. Wanna buy some rares?
Originally Posted by JLibourel
In the course participating in these internet fora, I think we all make minor slip-ups--misspellings, ommitted words, incorrectly used words, that sort of thing. To my great horror, I discovered I had used "there" when I meant "their" not long ago.
For some reason, I have noticed that when typing emails or forum posts I'm much more prone to that sort of inadvertent homonym than I am in other contexts. There's a graduate thesis "their" waiting to be written, methinks.
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
So if we discuss AC slatering and being drunk, but use proper grammar, we're sophisticated and cultured?
I'm not being snarky here -- I have no idea what "AC slatering" means.
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Personally, when I nit-pick others' grammar, I'm doing it expressly to be annoying. It's not that I actually care, or think that someone will benefit from having their attention called to dangling modifiers of a misuse of there/their/they're, it's just something to be bitchy about that seems to really get under people's skin.
I confess that's often, although not always, true for me as well. But I suspect that comes as no surprise.
smile.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tsintaosaurus
here are 2 grammar nazis:
smack.gif

Incorrect. Grammar nazis work together to better mankind.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Incorrect. Grammar nazis work together to better mankind.

Sort of like a Eugenics program for written communication.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Sort of like a Eugenics program for written communication.
Very much so. I am a strong advocate of forced sterilization for people who do not understand the difference between to and too by the time they are 15 years old.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Very much so. I am a strong advocate of forced sterilization for people who do not understand the difference between to and too by the time they are 15 years old.

Agreed. I'm pretty judgemental about this stuff. I could never love, I mean truly love, a woman who couldn't use "whom".

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Your cultural education is woefully incomplete.

d00d, I wz l33t before I ever met you. I actually learned most of my l33tspeak in UO. Wanna buy some rares?

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But answer me this. How the hell did you make partner while you were playing UO? I know lots of people that dropped out of school because of it, but going by your led zepplin concert dates ('82
crazy.gif
), i don't see how you had time to play because you must have been in full swing with your career. MMO's and careers don't mix imo.

Anyway
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
on it not ******* up your life hehe.

PS. How did you get in to it? were you an ad&d nerd back in the english lit days or something? PM me if you don't wanna admit to it in public hahah. :p I just don't hear about too many lawyers playing MMOs, but I guess you ahve to take out frustrations somewhere. Did you play before they introduced the split world, whatever it was called?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I fix spelling and grammar errors in topic titles because they are annoying to me, and I try to point out recurring errors in hopes of helping others not to do those things in the future so I will not have to continually read them. My motives are mostly selfish/altruistic.

I've noticed that with more and more time spent reading online and less spent reading printed and edited words, my own accidental use (when typing) of the wrong word has increased with alarming frequency.

And I agree with Joel above, girls with bad grammar are a turnoff. What if I accidentally had a kid with her? Would it go around using the wrong homonym of their/there/they're? Would it say "I done it" to me and inspire me to infanticide? I don't want to think about it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But answer me this. How the hell did you make partner while you were playing UO? I know lots of people that dropped out of school because of it, but going by your led zepplin concert dates ('82
crazy.gif
), i don't see how you had time to play because you must have been in full swing with your career. MMO's and careers don't mix imo.

Anyway
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
on it not ******* up your life hehe.

PS. How did you get in to it? were you an ad&d nerd back in the english lit days or something? PM me if you don't wanna admit to it in public hahah. :p I just don't hear about too many lawyers playing MMOs, but I guess you ahve to take out frustrations somewhere. Did you play before they introduced the split world, whatever it was called?

I feel like I just got a lap dance from a fat stripper.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See? j is not a grammar nazi, he's a grammar ninja.
ninja.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I feel like I just got a lap dance from a fat stripper.

LOL! GQGeek's post made me entertain the idea of compiling a thread of his quotes, entitled something like "Humiliatingly dorky things GQgeek has publicly posted with no regard for how incredibly lame they make him sound", but then it ocurred to me that that would be a whole lot of work to produce something that people can acces just by going to his profile and clicking "find more posts by"

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
LOL! GQGeek's post made me entertain the idea of compiling a thread of his quotes, entitled something like "Humiliatingly dorky things GQgeek has publicly posted with no regard for how incredibly lame they make him sound", but then it ocurred to me that that would be a whole lot of work to produce something that people can acces just by going to his profile and clicking "find more posts by"

Hey man, I haven't seriously played an MMO since 2002. Ok, 2003.
lol8[1].gif
I sometimes get a heroin-like urge to go back, but it's just not the same anymore and I have too many other things to do. I've never said that I wasn't a nerd. I'm just a stylin' nerd, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

edit: for the record, I never played pen and paper AD&D. Those guys are the REAL nerds/freaky people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads