• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Shoes

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post RJ, although I was under the impression that the only thing Foster bought (or claims to have bought) was the Peal logo for the UK and a former last-maker from Peal who copied a few of Peal's former lasts.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rjman,le bougre is difficult to track down....

I'm still waiting for his bank details to pay him the last half of my shoes...
I do not know what he is playing at but we will get him...

Church's was great in terms of quality and price....The quality is definitively not as good and the price is gone up....

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Rjman,le bougre is difficult to track down....

I'm still waiting for his bank details to pay him....

They are in Nigeria, no?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i can't imagine le paysan ruse with an offshore bank account ....To be honest ,i can imagine him with some bank notes under his matress....

He is going to send them tomorrow....

Torrente

Reaction score
A bit off topic . . . yesterday, a saleswoman at a store on Munich airport, seeing me checking out the topic shoes, said they are the Rolls-Royce among shoes . . . :-O . . .

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inelegant lasts (particularly # 100). Quality on the level of Allen Edmonds with pretty much the same aesthetics. Huge protruding 360 welts. Poorly defined heel pocket. Clunky and old fashioned but sold at $600+
I bought 2 pairs and returned them both; they are poor value even at $ 275.00

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Inelegant lasts (particularly # 100). Quality on the level of Allen Edmonds with pretty much the same aesthetics. Huge protruding 360 welts. Poorly defined heel pocket. Clunky and old fashioned but sold at $600+
I bought 2 pairs and returned them both; they are a poor value even at $ 275.00

Maybe this is where I got the impression they weren't well loved around here.
smile.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Maybe this is where I got the impression they weren't we loved around here.
smile.gif

It's OK, neither is he.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purely out of curiousity, if the quality was so bad, why did you buy two pairs?

I happen to disagree with you regarding Church's quality; in fact the Pre-Prada Consuls were my plain cap-toe of choice. Great mid-level quality (along the lines of C&J), but available in different widths, and a rather elegant shape.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
It's OK, neither is he.

I'd rather be disliked for what I am than loved for what I am not.

Originally Posted by TCN
Purely out of curiousity, if the quality was so bad, why did you buy two pairs?

I happen to disagree with you regarding Church's quality; in fact the Pre-Prada Consuls were my plain cap-toe of choice. Great mid-level quality (along the lines of C&J), but available in different widths, and a rather elegant shape.

I was curious ,just like you.
Nowhere in my post I suggested that Church's are of poor quality. They are of mediocre style and represent the same value as Allen Edmonds, but at twice the retail price.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dkzzz, I agree with you most of the time, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this issue. Unless of course you're talking about the Prada era Church's when quality dipped, and the shapes become rather bulbous, in which case I'd be a bit closer to your camp.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just my humble contribution to this lovely and good-spirited thread...I bought a pair of Chruch's 10 years ago and they're good solid...
I do personally dislike them (tassels) but they're still doing the job ...

On the sensitive subject of Church's,we're talking of an iconic brand.it used to be great but it has lost in my eyes any interest...
T

The lasts were all ok...I bought a pair last year ...I didn't want to spend a fortune on a pair of monks that i wanted to wear when i'm travelling around....
I paid £180 (special offer) and the quality is ok but far from the £3000 original price tag...

At that price ,JM WESTON has better lasts and better leathers...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
dkzzz, I agree with you most of the time, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this issue. Unless of course you're talking about the Prada era Church's when quality dipped, and the shapes become rather bulbous, in which case I'd be a bit closer to your camp.

I am talking about present day Church's shoes .

On a side note, I own a few Prada shoes and their lasts are quite interesting and modern . Coincidentally, Prada is not making their shoes at Church's factory.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN

isn't Prada-era Church's... right now?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads