• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most recent awkward moment

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend, her roomate, and I went to Spring Lake NJ to a rented beach house by the roomate's family and friends. We went up just for the last night, it was a bit awkwards since everyone there had been hanging out already last week.

After dinner all the adults are in the family room watching tv and talking, probably 7 or 8 of us and they start joking around about jobs and such. I made some comment in a lighthearted manner about wages and Mexicans, a few people laughed, but then out of the blue this one girl went off because she was Mexican (whitest Mexican I've ever seen), yelled a few things at me and said something like "just sit there and drink your beer" and after that dead awkward silence. I was going to make a few snappy comebacks but for the sake of the group I took one to not risk it elevating further.

I wasn't about to apologize, because first the comment was true, and second she must have forgot to wear her "I am a Mexican so all Mexican jokes are off the table" t-shirt that day. People need to learn to not take things so seriously, I hear jokes about lazy Puerto Ricans all the time and I laugh just the same.

The awkward silence lasted until the next morning when they left and made for some strange goodbyes. We went to the beach with the remaining people and all was well the next day but that moment was just awful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Monday, my package was just not sitting right. For some reason, I was 1/4 of the way to an erection the whole morning. So I stood up and was shaking my leg while re-arranging the package to sit more comfortably (boxers are great, it's what I wear, but briefs hammock the banana much better IMO, which then again, is why you should not wear them. So just as I am doing this, my secretary walked in. She just turned beet red and walked back out.

She has had a twinkle in her eye since then though...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Monday, my package was just not sitting right. For some reason, I was 1/4 of the way to an erection the whole morning. So I stood up and was shaking my leg while re-arranging the package to sit more comfortably (boxers are great, it's what I wear, but briefs hammock the banana much better IMO, which then again, is why you should not wear them. So just as I am doing this, my secretary walked in. She just turned beet red and walked back out. She has had a twinkle in her eye since then though...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
My life is basically just a slew of awkward moments. This morning I went to breakfast, and got in the serving line. Asked for bacon, and the guy looked at me and said, "Bacon?" "Uhh...yeah. bacon." "We don't have any today." "...it said on the menu there was supposed to be bacon this morning." "Umm, we ran out...?" He said it as if he did not know what was going on. Then there was one of those 5-10 second interludes where you just stare at the person you were conversing with. Both parties have blank expressions, of course. I mumbled a "thank you" and went to get a bagel.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Pretty much anytime I am at the urinal and the guy behind me moans with relief or talks to me.

fixed..

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Last week at the office christmas party ... having a chat with a woman and introducing myself "hi i'm ..." and her saying "yes I know, we had that meeting the other day" ... she's the gm of my company
blush.gif
... way to make an impression!

...Mark McCormack used his name by way of introduction every time he saw a face that was even questionable to him. Just to avoid any awkwardness on the other party's part. He founded IMG, was Arnold Palmer's agent, and revolutionized sports marketing, so you're not in bad company.

Tsintaosaurus

Reaction score
it's always hilariously uncomfortable whenever you meet an old acquaintance and you two forget each other's names but you both feel that a conversation too short would be more rude than admitting that you forgot his/her name. extra bonus awkward points if you deliberately extend the conversation another 5 minutes and are able to somehow avoid having to bring up his/her name the whole time. the game, of course, is to see if you can keep talking until he/she folds and fesses up he/she forgot your name. sometimes it takes 5 minutes; sometimes it takes 20 minutes.

even more extra bonus awkward points if you two are in a hallway and you two try to pretend you don't notice each other by "looking" down or at the wall. negative awkward points if you convincingly pretend to be checking your text messages on your cellphone.

people should revel in awkward moments. fear is your worst enemy.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Two of my classmates in law school danced at Mons Venus. It was well-known and they weren't shy about it. I had kind of an awkward conversation just this morning. Some new guy, Lance, at my job came around to introduce himself.
L - "Hey, I'm Lance"
R - "Hey, I'm Rodney.....are you from Cleveland?"
L - "From just outside there, yeah, how'd you know?"
R - "Your accent"
L - "People from Ohio don't have accents"
R - "Really? Then how'd I know you were from Ohio, Cleveland no less?"
L - "....Maybe because I don't have an accent?"
R - (in a subtle Cleveland accent) "Well, anyway, it was good to meet you, see ya around, Lance"

Yeah, I get that around here in Texas, too. We don't have an accent, either.
tounge.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Erm. Maybe a public forum is not the best place to post this. Was at a strip club last week, and ran into a girl I had a crush on when I was a freshman in High School. She was a very conservative girl, socially awkward and both of us could have easily been characterized as the high school nerd types. I always thought she was real skinny because she wore shapeless clothes. Anyhow, it turns out she is a stripper now.. she was extremely embarrassed and I have to admit it was very strange for me too, seeing her on the stage like that. We talked for maybe 30 minutes to a hour and caught up, but even that was pretty weird. Easily the most awkward experience I've ever had.
you must admit you felt a little uneasy when she bent down to the laces of your shoe

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Monday, my package was just not sitting right. For some reason, I was 1/4 of the way to an erection the whole morning. So I stood up and was shaking my leg while re-arranging the package to sit more comfortably (boxers are great, it's what I wear, but briefs hammock the banana much better IMO, which then again, is why you should not wear them. So just as I am doing this, my secretary walked in. She just turned beet red and walked back out.

She has had a twinkle in her eye since then though...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I was at a trunk show recently, some guy came up to me saying how he was hadn't seen me in a long time. I have a crappy memory, and pretended to remember him. After about 2 minutes of "catching up" with him, he asked "how's your brother doing in law school?"... I don't have a brother. I told him that and we both realized we didn't know each other. I think he probably wondered why I pretended to know him as we stood in line beside each other waiting to get measured.

LOOOOOONG akward silence
blush.gif

crackup[1].gif
This one is too funny. I can't believe you had to stand in line together after that exchange.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate when walking down the hall or something and you see someone who you really dont want to talk to. i usually do the good ol take the phone out of the pocket and pretend im looking at the time or a text. or i just stair at the wall in a...oh **** when did this wall get here!...... sort of way. but if they call your bluff and talk to you, its even more awkward because you all of a sudden have to act like you had no idea they were there.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i hate when walking down the hall or something and you see someone who you really dont want to talk to. i usually do the good ol take the phone out of the pocket and pretend im looking at the time or a text. or i just stair at the wall in a...oh **** when did this wall get here!...... sort of way. but if they call your bluff and talk to you, its even more awkward because you all of a sudden have to act like you had no idea they were there.

22_curbyour_lg.jpg

"He wanted to do a stop-and-chat"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads