• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco

AdamG

Reaction score
I'm heading to SF over the Xmas/New Years and was wondering what are the must do/sees?

Also where are the best shops?

Also art galleries?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamG
I'm heading to SF over the Xmas/New Years and was wondering what are the must do/sees? Also where are the best shops? Also art galleries?
I don't know as much about SF as I should but check out: 1) Golden Gate Bridge -- view from Marin Headlands especially (#1 thing to do I think) 2) Castro to get a taste of the "real" SF
devil.gif
3) For shopping Union Square is always fun, not sure about boutiques, or what kind you are looking for. 4) Ride the Cable Car that runs on the California line, it is less touristy 5) MoMA, Museum of Modern Art 6) lots of great restaurants though others can comment better than I can. Tenderloin district is supposed to be good but be careful! 7) Ferry Building - have some restaurants and farmer's market on the weekend. 8) Haight Ashbury is always interesting 9) Chinatown (which is kind of run down) - Hing Lung for some authentic cheap Chinese food. 10) Alcatraz 11) Golden Gate Park 12) Our hideous Warf 13) Ghiradelli Square 14) Japantown and walk up Fillmore 15) Serpentine on Lombard, the world's curviest street. 16) http://asiasf.com/ which is a ****** restaurant, never been... If you don't have exact change on MUNI you'll slow everyone down. This is inside SF. There are other things to do in the Bay Area as well if you are interested.

Yaz

Reaction score
The O'Farrell Theater is a must
wink.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yaz
The O'Farrell Theater is a must
wink.gif

Indeed, it is one of the few really classic SF establishments, and one still frequented by many locals. There are generally not a lot of good art galleries. The good shops are few and far between. Wilkes and Self Edge are probably the best. Most of Tiecollector's suggestions are good, although I would skip AsiaSF and Ghiradelli. There is a lot of good ethnic food and pretty good standard fare as well. If you know better what you want, we could probably be more helpful.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have the time, a day trip to the Muir Woods is spectacular.

cocoloco

Reaction score
Pretty much most of the good spots are listed above. For dining however, I would recommend Green's restaraunt in Fort Mason with a great view of the bridge and bay. Keep yourself in shape on your trip by dining at one of the vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco
musicboohoo[1].gif

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe

I'll second that and add that the Japanese Tea Garden was interesting to see.

I'd also add taking the ferry to Sausolito.

I was somewhat disappointed by Chinatown. Seemed small and not too interesting compared to Toronto and Vancouver.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe

I agree. Spectacular GIANT redwood trees; only 45mins north of SFran. I beleive they are the most northerly redwoods in Cali.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
I agree. Spectacular GIANT redwood trees; only 45mins north of SFran. I beleive they are the most northerly redwoods in Cali.

Not even close. The redwoods continue for over 100 miles north.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first question to the TS is where are you from? The midwest or a more cosmo local? Edit ( I'm stupid, your from NZ)
Have you seen a homosexual before?if the answer is yes, skip the people watching in the Castro. On the other hand I would highly recomend catching a film at the Castro theatre. Its a ******* great old building and has a pretty cool selection of films.
The Haight is an outdoor mall for well heeled psuedo hipsters and "punks" complete with burnt out beggers. Not really that mind blowing but good for blowing some cash. Ameobia records at the end is great and the noodle joint across the street is good.
If you like the outdoors go north to Muir woods, or to Bolenas beach. Get a map as its a ***** to find.
The MoMa is cool, they have a Joseph Cornell exhibition going now. The Cartoon museum has an Edward Gorey show.
Go to the Upper Playground for one off street style selections, it is in the lower haight.
Check Jeremys for mensware
Boulevard is a great place to spend 100$ on dinner, Ton Kiang on 22nd and Geary has the best Dim Sum.
Best *****, O'farrel Theatre
Lastly go to the park, spend the day, go to the De Young, and if you like Botany check out the Conservatory of Flowers, even if you do't give it a look.
Any sepecific questions, I'll try to come up with an answer.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
My first question to the TS

That's a big assumption to make just because he's spending the holidays in San Francisco.

To the many good suggestions already made, I'd add the Exploratorium. Fantastic for kids, but also pretty cool for adults if you enjoy that sort of thing at all.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
City Lights Bookshop on Broadway near Columbus. I grew up in the Bay Area, and whenever there, I always make a trip to that place. If it's a normal SF day (often around New Year's, it's not), you can buy yourself a nice read, then stroll up to one of the espresso shops in North Beach and watch the Italians and fog swirl about. Besides that, I always enjoy a trip to North Beach Pizza, as well, though the crowds are sometimes a PiTA. I second the suggestion to take the California trolley, but a really nice one is the one that goes through Russian Hill--is it the Hyde line? Anyway, the California St. trolley crosses with it on the west side of Nob Hill. My mom used to live near there, and that is one of the mellowest but nicest scenic public transportation rides anywhere. If you have a car, the drive over Twin Peaks is very pretty, as well. Oh, and yes, the Sausalito ferry is always nice. Just avoid it at rush hour (if not a holiday).

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in SF for 8 years and I only took a trolley once and that was because I was late, dressed nice, and didnt want to bomb up powell and get all sweaty. Ive been ran over by one while skating and I used to buy weed off of a driver. But I generally didnt take them. Its kind of cool I guess. I think its the powell line that drops you off in the projects by cost plus near the wharf, I always thought that was amuzing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads