• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to travel on the cheap

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm lookin to go somewhere... anywhere really, in the entire world, my girlfriend and i. Preferably we'd stay around 4 nights, give or take a night. I'd like to stay in a decent hotel, and i want it to be someplace romantic, whether that be paris, london, a south carolina beach, whatever.

I'd like the entire trip to come in under 3,000. Can anyone help?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you flying from and where have you been already?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Probably flying out of O'hare or Midway (Chicago), or possibly the Indianapolis airport... any of those 3 would be fine with me.

I've been to France before (Nice, in the Riviera) for a week, and she has been on a month long tour of Europe whilst in Ambassadors of America in high school, but i know she wouldn't mind going to the same places again, as she loved every minute of that trip.
Other than that, those are the only big trips either of us have been on really.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the state of the $USD you'll get more for your buck if you stay in country. $3K won't go far if you head overseas. Do you care what is around the hotel or do you plan on staying in most of the time (ie, needs to be a resort)? I use this site for finding decent deals on 4/5-star places and finding new ideas on where to go... http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxu...ica/index.html

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Well i don't really mind what it is, ie resort, beach, city, anything really.

We planned a trip to South Carolina last year but i got a promotion and wasn't able to give up the hours to go ahead and take it, and just thought maybe i'd up it a notch since i felt guilty about skipping out on the plans for last summer.

This website looks like a huge help though, thanks!

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a result of the dollar situation, Hawaii could be a good option.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Argentina, assuming you can get a deal on a flight. It is remarkably cheap when you get there.

Neither of us are bilingual.

I can speak enough French to get around in France, but that was with 50% of the people knowing at least some English as well.

Would that be a problem?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread on a similar topic. For four days, I think you're best off staying in the country.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for 4 days, I would spend as little as possibe flying and blow the money on a great hotel.

I was recently in Naples, Florida, at a pretty good resort - I think that is the type of thing I would do.

http://www.laplayaresort.com/laplaya_home.aspx

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Dang guys, these are all great!! Now the hardest part is just going to be narrowing down which of these to pick!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
By the way, i probably should have mentioned this, but i'm only 20. I'll be 21 by the time we go on the trip but does that change anything?

I know last summer we had a hard time finding a place that would rent to a 20 year old..

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want cheap you should definately look into staying in some places in south america. if you can find a deal on the flight like someone else stated, staying there can be dirt cheap. but 4 days is way too little for a trip like that. why don't you look into some where in cali or florida etc?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Book Bellagio Las Vegas, get some spa treatments swim in a heated pool while smoking cigar. Take a trip to Hoover Dam or Grand Can or go ski to lake Tahoe for a day, see some strip show, swim in a pool , drink cognac.
I paid $1050 for 2 flights, 3-nights in Delux room and taxes.
You can do it.

Going to South America without even a little Spanish and with your own GF is a sure way for a miserable vacation.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just go up to Montreal.

Cool city.

Very short flight from the midwest, and presumably you can get a budget airline to cart you up there cheaply. Proximity saves time out of your 4 days. Plus you can practise your French.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads