• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Need to buy a tuxedo for Jan. 17th event

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Do you work for NJ Transit? Now I feel compelled to go out there to check. I guess I can call first. $450 is insane.

Used to live in Harlem - Many a Saturday afternoons were spent taking a long bike ride over the bridge. I'd often pick up some food from Trader Joe's on Rte 17 and make a quick stop at C21 on Rte 4. I'd naturally bring some clean shorts and a tshirt to change into (I still smelled like a walking lockerroom).

whallyden

Reaction score
I was just in NY performing a similar (hurried) search for a December 21st event. I worked my way down Madison with stops at Brooks, CT, J. Press, Paul Stuart and JAB. I also stopped in at Syms, C21, and Filene's.

The discounters were all a bust.

I was priced out of Brooks Brothers (even with the 20% off St. Jude thing). I was similarly priced out of Paul Stuart - although they had two very nice SB 1bt peak models in the $1300-$2700 range. I thought the cloth used in the CT tuxedo was terribly coarse and very heavy. The J. Press was somewhat compelling with the current sale (25% off), but the sack cut and lapel stance turned me off. I went with the SB 1bt peak model from JAB. It was marked down to $399 and I found a 20%-off coupon on the net. I like the weight, the grosgrain facing and the price.

ebay seller Wizard of Aahs consistently has a SB 1bt peak tuxedo. I couldn't get over the satin facing on the chest pocket, but perhaps you can.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Filene's in Paramus said they don't carry tuxedos. When pressed, the guy said they received the Borrellis by mistake and sent them to the UWS store. UWS store says they don't carry tuxedos. When pressed, the lady was still clueless and said they don't have any "vault" merchandise right now.

Looks like it's going to be Mr. Ned. SB one button peaked grosgrain, midnight blue, wool/mohair if they have it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be Mr. Ned. SB one button peaked grosgrain, midnight blue, wool/mohair if they have it.
That sounds delightful. I'd love to see pics when it's finished!

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filene's in Paramus said they don't carry tuxedos. When pressed, the guy said they received the Borrellis by mistake and sent them to the UWS store. UWS store says they don't carry tuxedos. When pressed, the lady was still clueless and said they don't have any "vault" merchandise right now.

In a word - bullshit. Unless someone snapped them up off the clearance rack between Sat. night and this morning (unlikely since Bergen County stores are all closed on Sunday), it's there.

Anyhow, I think Mr. Ned's is a fanastic choice. I've come across tons of his suits at the Housing Works on the UWS and was always impressed by the styling and craftsmanship. Looking forward to pictures...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
In a word - bullshit. Unless someone snapped them up off the clearance rack between Sat. night and this morning (unlikely since Bergen County stores are all closed on Sunday), it's there.

You are probably right, but it's not easy for me to get out there.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went with Mr. Ned. They don't stock mohair/wool blends so special order would cost extra. Tip Top may have had some, but I don't have time to run out there now, and it may have been more with the added fabric costs anyway. Varham had a super 110s midnight navy in stock that seems fine, if unremarkable.

I wore a jacket I like a lot and brought the one they made for me so I could point out what I didn't like. He volunteered to take that one back and fix a slight problem with the shoulders, which was nice and unexpected. It's a little push and pull there--to get a higher armhole, to get him to understand I like a large lapel roll, to show what I like about the shoulder in the jacket I wore, etc. First fitting in around two weeks.

The jacket I like:
DSC07790a.jpg

The one they made, with some uneveness to the shoulder

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ned's is very good about working with you to make sure you are happy with the final product. They even did work to a friend's suit nearly a year after b/c she wasn't happy with the pants.

Looking forward to seeing the tux.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise when Varham said he would fix it. I imagine that screwing around with the shoulders is not the easiest alteration.

I may try to bring a camera to my fittings. At the very least, the finished product will get some photos.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had my first fitting today. Not the best pictures, but they do give a sense of how Mr. Ned works. Jacket was pinned together at the shoulders for me to try it on, then adjusted. The pockets have been cut, but not a lot more has been done. You can see the machine stitching on the lapels. They chalked up the back and the front a little and I'll go back next week.

DSC09013a.jpg

DSC09015.jpg

DSC09016.jpg

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. i was just informed that 2 of the tree weddings i will be going to will be black tie optional... meaning i have to get one. Will probably go the Mr. Ned route as well.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a second fitting for my tux. They've been really phenomenal about turning it around quickly--it will be done for my event tomorrow night. Lots of little adjustments were done today: it was a little too boxy so some more waist suppression, take in a little around the shoulder blades, raise button stance around 3/4", shorten sleeves a little--different on each arm, finish trousers, take in trousers near back of the thigh a little, and add a lapel buttonhole. Where else would I put a flower?

DSC09336.jpg

DSC09334.jpg

DSC09335.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics