• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Need to buy a tuxedo for Jan. 17th event

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been hunting for a tuxedo for a while now with no luck. Now I have a fast approaching deadline in a black tie event on January 17th and am having a hell of a time making up my mind on what to do. I'm willing to spend up to around $1000, so it does give me some options. Help me styleforum! The way I see it, they are: Mr. Ned. Could probably get it done in time if they start this week. I was not thrilled with a jacket they made me, but presumably this would be improved on a second order. A plus is that I should be able to get everything I want (midnight blue, grosgrain, etc). Should be somewhere from $800 to $1000. Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. May be marked down to $1020 on the day after Christmas. But then again, may not be. Ralph Lauren Polo. According to the website, they have a blue label tux at $1295, or $906.50 with current 30% code. The one on the website is notched, but I could swing by the mansion today. Ebay I haven't found what I want yet, so can't count on it. There is a great looking Oxxford in my size, but the measurements are too big and too long. SF? Anyone have an extra 38R tuxedo lying around? Or have access to one NWT that they want to get for me? Syms/Century 21 Buy a cheap POS notch lapel tux for $200-$300 and keep hunting. Rental I have all the accessories so would only need to rent the tux. I wear a tux infrequently so it may be worth it to buy myself more hunting time. Other retail sources in NY? At $700 Tyrwhitt seems expensive for what it is. Same goes with Brooks Brothers mainline. Jos. A. Bank looked awful when I tried it. Hickey Freeman is too expensive. Barneys didn't seem to have anything in my price range. J.Press? LS? Help!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might consider looking for something vintage -- you could certainly find something in that size, well made in midnight blue with grosgrain without too much trouble. I'm not sure if there's an analogue in NYC to San Francisco's Deco Fairs, but usually in big cities there's at least a once-a-month furniture and clothing sale that has plenty of formal wear.

MikeF

Reaction score
I have a NWT Zegna mainline tux in EU size 46 short. It could be yours for cheap if there is any prospect it might fit you.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thought is this... if you are going to get something that you really don't want just to cover, you might as well rent. You will not be comfortable in the tux and will be annoyed the entire time you wear it.

MikeF

Reaction score
I disagree with that last bit of advice. I wore a rented tux to my last black-tie event, and it was the worst decision ever. I hated that tux all night, and it wasn't cheap either.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Pal Zileri full canvas shawl lapel tuxedo for sale. 38R, trousers hemmed to 31"

NWOT, $400 plus shipping

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
My thought is this... if you are going to get something that you really don't want just to cover, you might as well rent. You will not be comfortable in the tux and will be annoyed the entire time you wear it.

I am still hoping to get something I like, but this was why I threw out the idea of renting. I usually need a tux only twice a year, but could wear it more often.

Originally Posted by MikeF
I disagree with that last bit of advice. I wore a rented tux to my last black-tie event, and it was the worst decision ever. I hated that tux all night, and it wasn't cheap either.

And this was my concern. My last tuxedo was a notched satin lapel cheapy, bought in a hurry and before I knew a damn thing about clothes. It lasted through about ten or a dozen wearings, so provided good value, but was never particularly fun to wear.

Originally Posted by lakewolf
I have a Pal Zileri full canvas shawl lapel tuxedo for sale. 38R, trousers hemmed to 31" NWOT, $400 plus shipping

I would definitely be interested in pictures and measurements. I had essentially ruled out shawl, but just went to the polo mansion at lunch and they had one that looked great, but didn't have my size to try. Mr. Ned is the current front runner. They said they can turn it around in time.

Ringo

Reaction score
I still have the one I wore to prom in high school. Definitely nothing to write home about as far as quality goes, but it may fit the bill. From what I remember, it's a double breasted 38R. The pants may have pleats, though.... I don't really remember. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll give you more info.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
I have a NWT Zegna mainline tux in EU size 46 short. It could be yours for cheap if there is any prospect it might fit you.

Hi. I'm interested in these here tux. Expect a pm.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, chorse, have you made the trip out to Rte 4 in NJ (just over GWB)? If I'm not mistaken, the FIlene's Basement had a couple borrelli one-button peak lapels laying around for $450 (after 50%). Can't recall sizes, but I'd give them a call. ANd if no luck there, next to Filene's are Century 21, Off 5th and Marshall's (carrying some high-end wear). Across the street is Daffy's and I think another discount store.

darkoak

Reaction score
You could use the 40% off Hickey Freeman code to get a peak lapel tux for under $1K.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Also, chorse, have you made the trip out to Rte 4 in NJ (just over GWB)? If I'm not mistaken, the FIlene's Basement had a couple borrelli one-button peak lapels laying around for $450 (after 50%). Can't recall sizes, but I'd give them a call. ANd if no luck there, next to Filene's are Century 21, Off 5th and Marshall's (carrying some high-end wear). Across the street is Daffy's and I think another discount store.

Do you work for NJ Transit? Now I feel compelled to go out there to check. I guess I can call first. $450 is insane.

Originally Posted by darkoak
You could use the 40% off Hickey Freeman code to get a peak lapel tux for under $1K.

I thought about this. It's a pretty solid deal, but I think I might prefer the Mr. Ned. The HF would be dependable, but there would be little chance it could be better than good. The Ned at least would have a chance at being something special.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also a used maybe twice Canali Tuxedo jacket, peak lapel 1 button for sale if someone is interested, full canvas, no trousers, jacket only. 38R

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads