• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That's the worst part -- not knowing whether the trousers are lost somewhere, or if the coat ended up at the thrift because something happened to them.

Some thrifts that I visit are REALLY bad at separating suits upon donation. Once I saw a super nice Canali jacket, but no pants. Passed on the jacket, the next week the pants were there but the jacket had been sold.

Now I pick up the jackets (if they are under $10 or so) hoping that the pants will come along further down the line. I have, at times, been ready to re-donate a jacket that never had pants turn up, when lo and behold three weeks later the pants show up on the racks.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Some thrifts that I visit are REALLY bad at separating suits upon donation. Once I saw a super nice Canali jacket, but no pants. Passed on the jacket, the next week the pants were there but the jacket had been sold.

Now I pick up the jackets (if they are under $10 or so) hoping that the pants will come along further down the line. I have, at times, been ready to re-donate a jacket that never had pants turn up, when lo and behold three weeks later the pants show up on the racks.

Bingo... I've done this a couple times. Still crossing my fingers the trousers for my G&H bespoke suit pop up when I go back in a couple of days. It's so frustrating to know they're probably there, in the store *SOMEWHERE* - I just can't get to them / find them. Damn thrift store employees
devil.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst part is when you find a wonderful orphaned suit jacket, and instead of being priced like the sportsjackets ($9.99) it's priced like the suits ($24.99) so you know that it arrived with the pants and was priced accordingly... and you know it's in the store somewhere -- the price is proof!
plain.gif

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Was the Canali jacket priced like the sportsjackets or was it priced like the suits? (i.e., was it $9.99 or $24.99?)

All of the Goodwill stores here in Austin have fixed pricing except for the "boutique" items and one of the stores that tends to get in better stuff. So most of the stuff is not individually priced. And of course the Canali didn't get to join the elite Hilfiger, Beene, Perry Ellis, etc in the "boutique" section.
sarcasm.gif

Yeh, thrift store employees can be pretty bad about just tossing stuff in piles and getting stuff mixed up. I've probably rejoined about 8-10 suits in thrift stores, two that I actually bought. Hopefully someone appreciated the others.

mike

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia
While visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving, I was able to stop in a local Goodwill. I had quite a bit of luck:

>2 Oxxford SB 2-button suits (one navy pinstripe, and one black/white bird's eye). Both jackets fit perfectly, but the pants will have to be taken in a bit ($12.99 each). They actually had the black Oxxford suit hangers, but they wouldn't include them. Oh well...
>Brand new Banana Republic 'Gavin' chinos - they are a very dark brown color; almost chocolate. $5.99
>Finally, a pair of black Alden 681s IN MY SIZE. These are a bit beat up, but they only cost $2.99. These will be heading back to Alden for restoration - a new-ish pair of 681s for $137.99 works for me!!!
1171769ni2.jpg

I'll post some pics of the suits once I have them back from the alteration shop.

I don't think you're going to get a "newish" pair back. The uppers are heavily creased. You're more likely to find this shoe near new on eBay for around the same price. Although I am very curious how the restoration program would do on these

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a mint Paul Stuart Plaid "Cooper" style shirt today for $1.99. Also found some nice button downs from Kuhlman and a really nice grey plaid 2 button J. Lindeberg blazer. Seems to be very recent with the square engraved buttons, slim lapels w/ high gorge and was brand new with the pockets still sewn shut. Rant: Is it just me, or you do hate when the stupid volunteers/employees misplace clothing items. For instance, the J. Lindeberg blazer, which is obviously men's by the style, location of buttons and the size. It was in the women's suit-jacket section! I now feel the need to go through pretty much every rack in the store in order to find the good stuff. Then, of course, going through the women's racks gets you the odd looks from everyone else nearby until you pull out something that's obviously men's and smirk. I've even found a RLPL button down with the children's clothing. Absurd, I tell you. Edit for link: found my PS shirt on the homepage. http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0

42 Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Picked up a mint Paul Stuart Plaid "Cooper" style shirt today for $1.99. Also found some nice button downs from Kuhlman and a really nice grey plaid 2 button J. Lindeberg blazer. Seems to be very recent with the square engraved buttons, slim lapels w/ high gorge and was brand new with the pockets still sewn shut.

Rant: Is it just me, or you do hate when the stupid volunteers/employees misplace clothing items. For instance, the J. Lindeberg blazer, which is obviously men's by the style, location of buttons and the size. It was in the women's suit-jacket section! I now feel the need to go through pretty much every rack in the store in order to find the good stuff. Then, of course, going through the women's racks gets you the odd looks from everyone else nearby until you pull out something that's obviously men's and smirk. I've even found a RLPL button down with the children's clothing. Absurd, I tell you.

Yes,fellow thrifters-I too have the suit jacket woes.Here's a small sampling of my latest frustrating finds: Oxxford MTM multi-colored PS suit jacket with a KILLER custom silk lining-pants?-nowhere to be found,Canali Super 120's 3 button beaded PS suit jacket-no trousers,Corneliani micro houndstooth suit jacket-trouserless.And this is after scouring the store racks to see if I could salvage a whole suit-nothing doing! Yea,makes me angry.Then there was the time I found a pair of Oxxford Gibbons PS pants on a double suit hanger-yet no jacket! Some idiot purchased the jacket,left the pants-just aggravating!!!
frown.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a very traditional looking Swaine Adeney (no briggs) necktie today...

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I don't think you're going to get a "newish" pair back. The uppers are heavily creased. You're more likely to find this shoe near new on eBay for around the same price. Although I am very curious how the restoration program would do on these

Honestly, I'm actually skeptical to send them back to Alden, considering the creases. I saw these on Ebay - obviously restored by Alden. In any forum members experience, do you think mine will come back looking this good?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm actually skeptical to send them back to Alden, considering the creases. I saw these on Ebay - obviously restored by Alden. In any forum members experience, do you think mine will come back looking this good?

I think if you put some trees in them you might get a better idea of what they'll look like after Alden has relasted them. My guess is that they'll be better than they look now but not near new. I just think that if you'd be satisfied with the way they look with trees in them it might be worth trying.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some leather is just not restorable. I think when they have reached this point, it's time for a new pair or at least some conditioner and polish. I say put them on eBay and use that $30-$50 towards a new-er pair. I've sent cordovan shoes back to Alden Restoration but they were much more valuable and rare. I just don't think you want to invest that much in a pair that costs only twice that new (with no initial investment).

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give a discount to any of the contributors to this thread because this is my favorite thread here!
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=50387

I picked up a double breasted Lorenzini suit for myself today and am quite pleased. The sleeves will need to come up a bit and I'll have the sides taken in and it'll be near perfect. There were two pairs of Zanella pants, one a dark blue and one a beautiful charcoal color, that I was going to scoop up but then I noticed stains on the back of both pant legs on both pants. I wonder what he sat in??

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Picked up two sportcoats yesterday. Brown wide herringbone and a medium blue cotton gingham. Both from Cable Car Clothiers, extra Trad points for being undarted. Marked $8 each, but there was a sale, so both for $5. Plus, they fit with no alterations.

img0046jr5.jpg

img0049uc9.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Is anyone here a 54L that needs a 3 button sport jacket?

50 or a 52L and I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads