• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
About once a year on average.

You must move in far more-prestigious circles than I!
redface.gif
)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You must move in far more-prestigious circles than I!
redface.gif
)

+1
Never been invited to a white tie event my entire life...
musicboohoo[1].gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ringo
I think most people/the average person would not notice, plus they would not know the distinction (i.e. working button holes > fake). I feel that details like that are more or less a lost cause, because most people are not likely to notice, and if they do notice, they may misinterpret it as a mistake on your part, much like a missing belt on belt loop-less pants.

Yep-- women (particularly attractive ones) tend to notice the sleeve button undone. maybe women are more detail oriented, or at first think it might be a missing button, but they notice either way-- and the fact that it indicates something slightly different.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As I await my double-breasted Oxxford dj to come back from alterations (next week), I continue to chip away at the various accessories.

This morning I bought this on ebay:

b7e51yg6.jpg

All silk white opera scarf made in England. I don't know how old it is, but according to the seller it was in "long-term storage" and is new old stock. I paid $31 delivered from the UK.

Today I'm picking up this from a local men's shop, a Hanauer faille bowtie to coordinate with the grosgrain facing on my dinner jacket (a tie-your-own, of course)

36901bv2.jpg

(stock photo)

I'm expecting this silk pocket square from Kent Wang:

508207173_e047351da6.jpg

And posted in the cufflinks thread earlier is this vintage dress set via ebay for $10:

p1011550yn4.jpg

Vintage white braces, thrifted a few weeks ago for about $5. The Fedora Lounge guys tell me they're likely from the '30s:

p1050979zi1.jpg

I have no need for waistcoat or cummerbund and my dj is double breasted, but I will see what silk hose offerings the shop has when I pick up the bowtie today. It all has to come together by Dec. 14.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gorgeous pocket square. I want one. I like those vintage suspenders too.

Re: the earlier question: The brace keep your pants from slipping down. I suppose if you have perfectly fitted pants with side tabs they might be otiose, but it would still be easier to keep your pants up with them. That way, your shirt doesn't hang out underneath your vest/cumberbund.

I have white braces, because I like them (the Thurston moire ones, which I believe Bond wore in CR). I don't know if there's a firm rule about that.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have great taste in accessories. The paisley pocket square is a great touch that steps it up above a plain silk one.

I like white braces better than black but don't consider this almost irrelevant because I don't unbutton my DB jacket and they are covered with a vest and jacket with the tails.

I'm looking for waistcoat studs now (or try and find a vintage cufflink/stud set with vest studs).

Does anyone regularly wear a carnation when they dress up? I never have but I may try that next time.

Edit - I love this thread

Biscione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Do you ever get occasion to wear the White Tie?

White tie is child's play, anyway.

I actually have a strong pink formal coat. 1000 points to anyone who knows where it is required dress.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
White tie is child's play, anyway.

I actually have a strong pink formal coat. 1000 points to anyone who knows where it is required dress.

You go to the Mary Kay awards ceremony?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have said for fox hunting but now maybe something to do with the Pope, Vatican, College of Cardinals?

Biscione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I would have said for fox hunting but now maybe something to do with the Pope, Vatican, College of Cardinals?

The pope? My no.

But, yes, you were on the right path: traditional aristocrats fox hunting ball.
fing02[1].gif

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, because there's nothing quite like a large room of men wearing pink coats.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something like this?

hunt_coat_12thLanc_bu.jpg

Biscione

Reaction score
No, I actually mean pink... I can't find any pictures on the internet.

I think what you've posted is for hunting itself.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
No, I actually mean pink... I can't find any pictures on the internet.

I think what you've posted is for hunting itself.

The British also have such a coat though it is called pink, it is actually red. It is worn by the Huntmaster, and also for hunting balls in the country:

img0412a6el.jpg

Biscione

Reaction score
Interesting... I know that traditionally it's correct to hunt in a red coat.

Is that yours?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads