• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helvetica

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out the film Helvetica last night. It's about, uh, Helvetica, the typeface (which, I'll note, is not an option is styleforum's current font arsenal).

Very entertaining, especially if you're into design or just work with marketing or published textual materials at all. The film gives a history of the typeface, hundreds of examples of its use over the years, and GREAT interviews with graphic designers and typeface designers, who are overwhelmingly passionate and informative. Interviewees include Wim Crouwel, David Carson, Massimo Vignelli, and some pretty cool young designers.

Check it out if there's a screening near you; DVD is due out this fall.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The idea of a movie about fonts sounds both inconceivably dull, and in spite(or because) of that, somewhat intriguing.

Maybe I'll download it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should also check out the book "Thinking with Type" by Ellen Lupton. Fonts have lived very interesting lives.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally prefer Centaur (which is the font designed for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and not release to the general public after more than a decade after it was created).

I have to check this out; I'm somewhat of a typophile.

Jon.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I enjoyed the film quite a bit, not because I like the Helvetica font (which I don't, it's over used and imo, uninsipired), but because the interviews with the designers are great, and there's not a lot of quality film out there about graphic design.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I enjoyed the film quite a bit, not because I like the Helvetica font (which I don't, it's over used and imo, uninsipired), but because the interviews with the designers are great, and there's not a lot of quality film out there about graphic design.

I just saw this and ordered it for my collection.
It renewed my admiration for this typeface. I think the movie helps to put a humanity to what is ordinarily percieved to be a humanless typeface.
Brian is right, there's not alot of good film on graphic design. I liked this alot, but it is probably for a limited audience in some respects.

Though not about graphic design, I really like "My Architect" by Louis Kahn's son.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

Why would there be?
lol8[1].gif

I can't believe you guys are watching movies about fonts.....
plain.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
How do you know if the movie is good or not until you watch it?

Jon.

Some things are of no interest to me. Movies about typefaces number among them.
tounge.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I just saw this and ordered it for my collection.
It renewed my admiration for this typeface. I think the movie helps to put a humanity to what is ordinarily percieved to be a humanless typeface.
Brian is right, there's not alot of good film on graphic design. I liked this alot, but it is probably for a limited audience in some respects.

Though not about graphic design, I really like "My Architect" by Louis Kahn's son.

Hmm.. I agree, of course if someone else were to say that it's a bad or boring font I'd tell them it's not - in many respects it's probably the best-crafted sans serif font in wide use. The problem is the wide usage. Nearly everything these days that's designed with the intention of looking "designy" uses Helvetica, and IMO it loses a lot of its luster over that. Nimbus is built around a similar aesthetic, but IMO, is a bit more unique, and looks quite good compressed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads