• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then would the opposite of "Hunt Clubbed" be "Zanellad"?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
...b/c I had just passed up a set of 6 RLPL shirts, mostly button down, size 18.

Why? You do know you have friends here with big necks!

Minor damage today. A Barba shirt that fits my "going to work at my first job in Charvet, Barba and Armani Le Collezeoni shirts because my Dad likes to go to thrift stores" son. And a pair of vintage Florsheim longwings. Over the weekend though I did get that Zegna jacket that sold in about 30 seconds on the Buy and Sell forum and a NWT Banana Republic silk/cashmere sweater.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
...Over the weekend though I did get that Zegna jacket that sold in about 30 seconds on the Buy and Sell forum....

You should have charged more for that, but it was a really nice buy for someone. I undersold a Zegna cashmere last year, myself (for $75, could have doubled that and it still would have been a steal). I've gotten less bashful about asking more, though.
biggrin.gif
You can always drop the price, but never raise it.

tntele

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I picked this up for $2.16:

p1011554ku8.jpg

I'm going to take it in for a once over. It should look great with a grosgrain band.

I'll give you $12.16 for the watch! Just think of your profit margin!!!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
True, but I'd hate to see it go to a Vols fan after the game on Saturday. I'm still bitter. I did buy it in Tennessee, though.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have charged more for that, but it was a really nice buy for someone. I undersold a Zegna cashmere last year, myself (for $75, could have doubled that and it still would have been a steal). I've gotten less bashful about asking more, though.
biggrin.gif
You can always drop the price, but never raise it.

That became apparent very quickly. The first thing out of my wife's mouth when I told her I had 5 very quick offers was, "You should have charged more. Raise the price." But having made an offer and gotten takers, I didn't feel ethically, that I could do that. She agreed. My reason for the low price was I thought (and still do) that the jacket was fused. Coupled with the Zegna tag that I wasn't that familiar with, I thought it was the lower end Z line. You live, you learn. Besides, it wasn't a bad 12 hour return on a 7.99 investment!
smile.gif

tntele

Reaction score
How about $23 to match the number of straight wins by TN over KY?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
A pair of trousers jumped off the rack at me today and yelled " Tricked Ya!" I thought they were RLPL but turned out to be Hunt Club. My mind was on Purple Lable b/c I had just passed up a set of 6 RLPL shirts, mostly button down, size 18.

Damn, grab those RLPL shirts. You can flip them here for some cash and it'll go to someone who'll appreciate it, then you can use the cash to get something in your size! I do this all the time now, as I know someone here will want them. Better then them going to some greedy-ass soccer mom who will sell it on eBay or worse, being sold for rags because nobody bought them, only because they didn't know what RLPL or Charvet is.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
You live, you learn. Besides, it wasn't a bad 12 hour return on a 7.99 investment!
smile.gif

Very true. I've undersold several times, certainly, but I can't complain about the margins.

Originally Posted by tntele
How about $23 to match the number of straight wins by TN over KY?

You're a hard man. I'll just console myself with the fact that UT will never win a national championship in basketball. And that LSU likely will blow them out in Atlanta.
biggrin.gif

Actually, I'm madder about having that
censored.gif
field goal blocked when UT had just handed us the game. We should have won at the end of regulation and in OT but couldn't close the deal. Our own fault.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm going to take it in for a once over. It should look great with a grosgrain band.

Woah! Collective consciousness! Did you see my post about such straps? I'd been hoping you would chime in over there as the master of Trad. I wish I'd seen earlier that you guys were talking about this over here too. I try to stay away bec. it makes me jealous, bec. I used to go thrifting all the time in Las Vegas and Boston, but DC has so few and far between!

Why are they called Nato or Bond straps? I'm guessing Nato issues/issued them and Bond wore them in a movie. Which one(s)?

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
No, but you can get "Savanne-d" when you think you've found a pair of Zanella trousers.

Every time I see a Hunt Club item I want to tear the sleeves off.

Those Savannes that look like Zanella waistbands drive me crazy and I see tons of them. I've only seen a few of the Hunt Clubs. There was a John Ashford label there for a while that looked a lot like the RLPL label.

I recently saw a beautiful orphaned Canali jacket. Perfect fit and recent style with high button stance and double vent. I searched through the whole store including the women's section and couldn't find the pants. I even went back a second time a few days later. Asked the people at the store if they might have seen the pants and they looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I did look that way.
crazy.gif
I wanted to sit on the floor and cry.

mike

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
Those Savannes that look like Zanella waistbands drive me crazy and I see tons of them. I've only seen a few of the Hunt Clubs. There was a John Ashford label there for a while that looked a lot like the RLPL label.

I recently saw a beautiful orphaned Canali jacket. Perfect fit and recent style with high button stance and double vent. I searched through the whole store including the women's section and couldn't find the pants. I even went back a second time a few days later. Asked the people at the store if they might have seen the pants and they looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I did look that way.
crazy.gif

Was the Canali jacket priced like the sportsjackets or was it priced like the suits? (i.e., was it $9.99 or $24.99?)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell

crazy.gif

mike

That's the worst part -- not knowing whether the trousers are lost somewhere, or if the coat ended up at the thrift because something happened to them.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That's the worst part -- not knowing whether the trousers are lost somewhere, or if the coat ended up at the thrift because something happened to them.

Yes. Recently had this occur with a Gieves and Hawkes bespoke suit. Found the jacket, couldn't find the pants. Small size, ridiculously good looking jacket, no pants in sight. Jacket will go to ebay now and I will hope somebody is willing to pay $35-40 for a orphaned pinstriped suit jacket
musicboohoo[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads