• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best actors (of your generation)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
tigress02
So... is it you in drag, or you post-op?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
BTW Quirk, who is your avatar?
Mrs. Vincent Cassel. Until she comes to her senses and succumbs to Tiger02.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I am Mrs Vincent Cassel, but don't tell him that because I'm still pre-op and this isn't how I wanted him to find out.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Haven't seen him in much, but I like him; he was very good in 'Malcolm X'.
He's been in a ton, but a good number of the movies are low-key releases. Basically he's a great actor, who sometimes plays in bad films.

REKER

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Jason Statham - My favorites: Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels and Snatch.
Edward Norton - Fight Club, American History X, The Illutionist,
Christian Bale - American Phsyco, Harsh Times, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn.
Brad Pitt - Fight Club, A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Sleepers, Snatch, Troy.
Robert Deniro- Too many movies to count.

Theres others, but those are my predominant favorites.
I cant really think of any female actors. Most of them are more for beauty than acting ability.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REKER
In no particular order: Jason Statham - My favorites: Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Edward Norton - Fight Club, American History X, The Illutionist, Christian Bale - American Phsyco, Harsh Times, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn. Brad Pitt - Fight Club, A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Sleepers, Snatch, Troy. Robert Deniro- Too many movies to count. Theres others, but those are my predominant favorites. I cant really think of any female actors. Most of them are more for beauty than acting ability.
I do like that Emily Watson, who someone mentioned upthread -- saw her in that Adam Sandler junk 'Punch Drunk Love' and just saw her again in 'Miss Potter'. Like her a lot. And Kate Winslet is great anyway, but her hilarious turn on Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' absolutely sealed it for me. Streep is always good, but she's been in some genuine shizzat -- "Death Becomes Her?" What the....

REKER

Reaction score
I do like that Emily Watson, who someone mentioned upthread -- saw her in that Adam Sandler junk 'Punch Drunk Love' and just saw her again in 'Miss Potter'. Like her a lot. And Kate Winslet is great anyway, but her hilarious turn on Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' absolutely sealed it for me. Streep is always good, but she's been in some genuine shizzat -- "Death Becomes Her?" What the....

Actually, Meryl Streep did stick out in my mind. She was pretty good in Lions for Lambs. Death becomes her was very hilarious as I remember watching that as a kid. I REALLY liked her in the movie "The River Wild." And she isnt bad looking either.

I also really like Demi Moore. I forgot all about her until I recently saw "Mr. Brooks," which is a VERY good movie, imo.

Might as well add Kevin Costner to the list as well.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Meryl Streep did stick out in my mind. She was pretty good in Lions for Lambs. Death becomes her was very hilarious as I remember watching that as a kid. I REALLY liked her in the movie "The River Wild." And she isnt bad looking either. I also really like Demi Moore. I forgot all about her until I recently saw "Mr. Brooks," which is a VERY good movie, imo. Might as well add Kevin Costner to the list as well.
Ugh, Costner. He and Dennis Haysbert are the most uninteresting people I've ever seen on screen. Wood. I think Streep is hot. Weird smile, but generally hot. Demi's hot, but as an actress, ok, but nothing special. I think it's harder for traditionally beautiful women (and men, for that matter) to be impressive on screen. Something about them is less interesting character-wise. To me, anyway.

REKER

Reaction score
Yeah, Costner has a more laid-back style of acting. To me, it comes off as wise and sophisticated; which I can appreciate. I even enjoyed "Water World," haha.

I think the only movie I liked with Dennis Haysbert was "Major League."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only movie I liked with Dennis Haysbert was "Major League."
Did you see "Far from Heaven"? I think that's his best movie and his best performance. Not to mention that Julianne Moore is in it
inlove.gif

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Did you see "Far from Heaven"? I think that's his best movie and his best performance. Not to mention that Julianne Moore is in it
inlove.gif

Julianne Moore -- good call. Though I thought Far from Heaven was insulting twaddle; tolerated it for about an hour (because of JM), but came near to vomiting. This is the one with Dennis Quaid as the closeted upper-middle class twinkie asshole who lays into his wife for jeopardizing their social status by befriending the transcendantly pious black widower with the angelic daughter, right? Jeeezus.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julianne Moore -- good call. Though I thought Far from Heaven was insulting twaddle; tolerated it for about an hour (because of JM), but came near to vomiting. This is the one with Dennis Quaid as the closeted upper-middle class twinkie asshole who lays into his wife for jeopardizing their social status by befriending the transcendantly pious black widower with the angelic daughter, right? Jeeezus.

wow. Sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was a great moment of pure 1950's melodramatic cinema. Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted too

Edit: I checked the tomatometer to make sure I'm not crazy for liking this movie and it looks like it gets a 90% so I guess I'm not crazy... phew
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/far_from_heaven/

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
wow. Sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was a great moment of pure 1950's melodramatic cinema. Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted too Edit: I checked the tomatometer to make sure I'm not crazy for liking this movie and it looks like it gets a 90% so I guess I'm not crazy... phew http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/far_from_heaven/
It's very likely a much better film than my personal reaction suggests, in terms of performances and overall filmmaking. I just have little stomach for stories with that kind of simplistic stylized racial template, and even less for Haysbert's 'acting'.
tounge.gif
And it doesn't help that I seem to recall seeing him do much the same kind of noble stoic black man schtick already with the very yummy Michelle Pfeiffer in 'Love Field' some years back...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Juliana Moore, Charlese Theron and KEVIN ******* Kline!!!
Also Jessica Lange and Kathy Beits (baits) whatever her name is.
And yea, special thanks to Chloe Soveigny for trying to make a blow job part of her acting range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads