• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what color should gloves be?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to glove wearing. I just bought my first pair this fall. Are there rules? Should they coordinate with anything in particular, like the shoes and belt?

My first pair of leather gloves are whiskey colored. I also have a black overcoat and a few pairs of black shoes, should I get a black pair of gloves? What about wine/cordovan colored gloves?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I coordinate my gloves to my shoes/belt.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only color I wear is crimson, so that when I go on killing sprees I needn't worry about blood uglying up my precious leather gloves.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The only color I wear is crimson, so that when I go on killing sprees I needn't worry about blood uglying up my precious leather gloves.

embeddedimage_167164_1.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have chamois gloves for suits and such. I also have colorful gloves--lime green--for when I wear dark colors. A flash of color, I think, is nice for those dreary winters.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I coordinate my leathers, though I'm not extremely fussy about it. I stick with brown gloves/brown shoes and black gloves/black shoes.

+1.
Except the watch strap. My only leather watch strap is black (when it gets worn out, I may go for something green; or brown, then it will "coordinate" with my shoes most of the time).

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
I coordinate my gloves to my shoes/belt.

Bingo !

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was the opinion on such matters back in 1902:

Fashion_dress_chart_1902.jpg

I really love grey suede gloves with morning dress. Unfortunately, such gloves are often difficult to find. Likewise with stone coloured kid leather gloves. However, matching the leathers is probably the sensible modern thing to do - watch wristband, briefcase, and shoes - with informal dress in the workplace.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be fine if you know what you were doing and can coordinate with the rest of the outfit. The shade is quite versatile.

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads