• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First ever post. Need advice buying Shirts Hong Kong

anonymousmoose

Reaction score
Hello,

Its my honeymoon and we are off to Hong Kong. I thought I'd use the trip to buy some business & formal shirts. I love cuff links so I want french cuffs.

Now I'm a skinny guy and all the shirts I buy local in Australia are either too wide or the arms are too short.

I want to find a tailor who is reasonably priced and can keep my measurenments on record so I can order from overseas as I need to.

I am fearfully of getting ripped off (e.g. cheap fabric) so I really really need help.

Please help me out all with tailor recommendations?, I'm getting married in 6 days
bounce2.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose
Hello,

Its my honeymoon and we are off to Hong Kong. I thought I'd use the trip to buy some business & formal shirts. I love cuff links so I want french cuffs.

Now I'm a skinny guy and all the shirts I buy local in Australia are either too wide or the arms are too short.

I want to find a tailor who is reasonably priced and can keep my measurenments on record so I can order from overseas as I need to.

I am fearfully of getting ripped off (e.g. cheap fabric) so I really really need help.

Please help me out all with tailor recommendations?, I'm getting married in 6 days
bounce2.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/search.php

anonymousmoose

Reaction score
Dont know why this links to search. Sorry I am not usually a post on forums. I was hoping someone will be helpful please... take pitty on the groom
smile.gif

bobbers

Reaction score
Jantzen Tailor is a popular choice on this forum. When I was in Hong Kong earlier this year, they were able to turnaround my shirts in 24 hours. Cost was about HKD320 if I recall or a little more than US$40. I think it's a great value at that price. You can go to their website for options on collars, cuffs, fabrics, buttons, etc. so you have an idea what you want when you go to their shop.

But as far as placing orders from overseas, they are very unreliable. Some people on this forum are very lucky and get turnaround in four to six weeks while many others never hear back on their orders.

Stereojeff

Reaction score
I will second the Jantzen "in-person" recommendation. The prices are lower and the fabric selection is greater. Plus, Ricky gave me good advise on fabric selection/quality.

Jantzen Tailor
Room 202 and 204, 2nd Floor
United Chinese Bank Building
31-37 Des Voeux Road Central
Hong Kong

Telephone is (852) 2570-5901
www.jantzentailor.com

Jeff

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depend on what quality you are looking for.
If you want high end stuff, and reliable overseas order, Ascot Chang will not let you down. Actually, AC do have something cheap, but you have to ask, and tell them you want something ordinary. They do have some custom made shirt in HK$500 level.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanna give Jantzen a shot when I go back to Hong Kong for winter break.

I was just wondering, do they do in-store measurements? Do you have have to provide your own measurements?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
I wanna give Jantzen a shot when I go back to Hong Kong for winter break.

I was just wondering, do they do in-store measurements? Do you have have to provide your own measurements?

Ricky or his brother will measure you. But make sure you tell him what you want regarding the fit, the sleeve length, etc....

anonymousmoose

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far! Great! I will check this out.

Has anyone else had positive experiances ordering from overseas with anyone after leaveing measurments with them?

tanalasta

Reaction score
I'd recommend WWChan in HK as well.

I find that their shirtings are quite satisfactory at the price-range. The construction, fabric (Acorn or Thomas Mason 100's cotton) and MOP buttons are all more than reasonable for a US$100 shirt.

A pain to iron but that's about it! Make sure you tell them exactly what you want though (e.g. removable collar stays)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads