• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RL coupon and private sale

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
show us your soles!

Originally Posted by shoe
got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost a Budapest toebox; old Vass would be happy for all of us.

got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tntele
I know that sizing has been addressed before, but I have not seen their sizing compared to Alden. I wear an 11D in the barrie last, so do I need an 11D in this shoe or an 11.5D? Thanks!

if you wear a 11D on barrie last, you should get a 11.5 on this as these size true.

the sockliner is half sockliner. not full sockliner.

here is a photo of the soles...

sole.jpg

inlove.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some Barrie last Aldens in 9.5 (model 911, 908)and I got these in 9.5 as well, they fit the same to me. Just to confuse it further.

And they are indeed poor man's Vass, as I said earlier, they are kinda chunky, yet kinda curvy, and all sexy...

darkoak

Reaction score
darltonwtsolejc4.jpg
I actually did not like mine and sold these some time ago. They're just too bulky and didn't fit with any of my work suits. Maybe they fit better for someone who wears country lifestyle outfits or jeans. I like my Alden AF41 a lot better:
aldenshellcordovanaf41scf8.jpg
aldenshellcordovanaf419ly2.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh come on!!! You'd rather have some black alden moc stitch? what's this world coming to??

Shoe you are right. These are on the level of some british countryside design which has remained unchanged for 200 years. I don't know if that's true but that's the feeling I get...

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
the sockliner is half sockliner. not full sockliner.
Do other folks have the experience of having half liners come apart really quickly? Sometimes even before wearing the shoes?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Do other folks have the experience of having half liners come apart really quickly? Sometimes even before wearing the shoes?

Nope, not at all. Which shoes have they come loose?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway? I've had it happen on some polo Italian lines and some bally shoes.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
I actually did not like mine and sold these some time ago. They're just too bulky and didn't fit with any of my work suits. Maybe they fit better for someone who wears country lifestyle outfits or jeans.

I like my Alden AF41 a lot better:

I love these shoes. It's one of the few for which I would happily pay full retail. Unfortunately Adam has no size 12 left and will not be ordering any more. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd wear it with a suit.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know opinions vary on the need to polish cordovan, but I always like to polish new shoes before wearing them. What color/brand of polish are other forum members using on their Darltons? Also, has anyone used EG polish on cordovan? Its great on calfskin, but I'm not sure if it would be good for cordovan.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cordovan is one leather you really don't want to polish before wearing. You can see there is already a lot of wax residue on the darltons from the burnishing, you should just brush it a little and wear them. Keep polishing to a minum.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Nope, not at all. Which shoes have they come loose?
The first time I tried on my Darlton penny loafers and then took them off, the sockliner inside the right shoe started to peel off. I think it was already loose or badly glued. That particular shoe actually has glue marks all over inside. Bad QC, I think. It is also lighter in color than the left shoe.

I've had this happen with Italian-made Polo shoes, a pair of Brooks Brothers loafers (also Italian made) and a pair of Alfred Sargeant boots. But it took some time and wear before it happened.

With these Darltons, it just happened right away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads