• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Japan, it's the men who want to be skinny and cute

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
International Herald Tribune Twenty-five-year-old Junichi Shirakawa, who works at the denim boutique 45 RPM, said that his goal is to get his weight down from 57 to 55 kilograms, although his height is 182 centimeters. "Being really skinny is essential, not just for fashion and work purposes but also because girls seem to go for thin guys," he said.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, 55 kg.. that is insane.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
baboosh.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Nigo, who directs A Bathing Ape, Tokyo's most successful and visible street brand, this makes sense: men's designer clothes should target the thin and seemingly unfit. "Designer clothes look best on men whose bodies don't do the talking, that are silent, slim, practically invisible," said Nigo, a waif-like figure with slender, girlish wrists. "Because the clothes should do all the talking, right?

"That's why men pay money for clothes, so they won't have to say anything. Otherwise, why bother?"
No comment.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Part of it, I think, is due to Japan's culture of esthetic appreciation of rather refined, delicate features, and part of it is due to the new trend for androgynous males. Simply look at various ads by Dior Homme, etc.

Abudeeba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
"Being really skinny is essential, not just for fashion and work purposes but also because girls seem to go for thin guys," he said.

Which virtually guarantees that this fashion trend will stay in Japan where it belongs.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abudeeba
Which virtually guarantees that this fashion trend will stay in Japan where it belongs.
I don't feel this is true. First, you have the hipsters who pride themselves on slimness almost as much as they pride themselves on irony. Secondly, you have those women who love anime-types, which creepy as it might be, probably constitutes a fairly sizable demographic.

Abudeeba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't feel this is true. First, you have the hipsters who pride themselves on slimness almost as much as they pride themselves on irony.
LOL. You could be right.

Originally Posted by TyCooN
Crazy east asians and their love for effeminate guys.

And to think the older generation was focused on weightier matters such as world domination.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you think is effeminate. Personally, I think a lot of western guys are effeminate these days. Maybe just not physically.

Perhaps this niche fashion is a reflection of future societies, as men become more and more effeminate and women become more and more masculine.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
This is very old news. Take a look at Mr. T.M. Revoltion for instance.
tmr0602_main01.jpg
I think America is catching on though. Take a look at emo bands.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Part of it, I think, is due to Japan's culture of esthetic appreciation of rather refined, delicate features, and part of it is due to the new trend for androgynous males. Simply look at various ads by Dior Homme, etc.

That trend isn't all that new. Read the Genji Monogatari.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is worthless without pics:
0328a771c5e35qp4.jpg
skinnyboytake21119071d4en7.jpg
mancosplay24693ace8.jpg
mancosplay27b5b5qz1.jpg
You've gotta be thin to fit into that dress, girlfriend! This article reminds me of that whole genre of comics called "Yaoi Manga" which is marketed towards women, but features male/male relationships.
antiquebakeryp1675002e8yi2.jpg
So Japanese women are being fed a steady diet of skinny, effeminate men... Holy Role Reversal, Batman! The Ninja does not approve of the emasculation of Japanese men by Japanese women.
plain.gif
youkaweb300f96fn1.jpg

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
First, you have the hipsters who pride themselves on slimness almost as much as they pride themselves on irony.

I always find it funny that those dudes are very skinny and out of shape, and their girlfriends are very chubby and out of shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads