• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RL coupon and private sale

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I just received my "Darlton" shell cordovan pennyloafers, and I must say, they are a bit of a let down.

You sound pretty disappointed, you should return them. These shoes aren't the be all end all of shoes, they are probably just a step above alden shells.

I saw the loafers at Stanford RL tonight, just a few hours ago, and I wouldn't buy them either for $300.

For me the wingtips are an ultimate of a certain style, something I have been looking for. Blucher+CJ+shell+brown+double sole, etc.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color differences are actually the natural charm of shell cordovan. It takes upwards of 6 months to dye this material, so variations in color, provided they are not too far off, should be expected.

It may be helpful to give them a LIGHT wax buff, using the Alden #8 paste wax.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the Chicago store hold a pair of Darlton/Marlow wingtips and penny loafers. The wingtips are great, and I kept them. But I, too, was disappointed with the loafers and didn't end up buying them.

The dark brown cordovan is beautiful, and even in a large size I don't find the wingtips to be "boat like" at all.

Luckyguy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. I just received the confirmation email of my order of a Darlton penny loafer.
plain.gif
I have been wearing my Darlton shell wing tip for exactly two years now and enjoyed them comfortably.

I take it that most of you do not like the penny loafer as much as the wingtip mainly because you like the style of the WT better than the PL. The contruction of the two cannot be that much different, can it?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I think the finishing on my penny loafers is sloppier than that on the wingtips. There is aslo a fair difference in shade between the left and right shoe. Having said that, I think they're a decent deal for $300. The only real alternative if you want a cordovan loafer is the Alden LHS for $500. I've had mine for maybe two years and have gotten plenty of use from them. And, of course, they get better looking with age.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I am regretting not getting the Darlton wingtips instead of the penny loafers.

I saw the wingtips at a RL store and, at the time, the style did not suit me. But the quality seemed good (certainly good enough for me). Based on that impression, I ordered the penny loafers from polo.com. I figured "different style, but same quality and material."

Now, I must agree with the assessment that the penny loafers are not made as well as the wingtips. Oh, well.

CodeRed

Reaction score
I jut got the wing tips and the loafers. Sure the WTs are much more detailed (read awesome), but at the discount price the loafers are really great too.

I wore them today and I really like the simplicity of the shoe. I also have the C&J Henley which is fully lined, but I think that I prefer the Darlton as far as a casual loafer goes. Both will only get better with age, just make sure to size down 1/2 on the loafer since they will stretch over time.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I received my Darlton loafers Wednesday. I was very pleased with them and actually more impressed than I thought I would be. I bought the wingtips and plain toe blucher a couple of years ago and continue to enjoy them both.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CodeRed
I wore them today and I really like the simplicity of the shoe. I also have the C&J Henley which is fully lined, but I think that I prefer the Darlton as far as a casual loafer goes. Both will only get better with age, just make sure to size down 1/2 on the loafer since they will stretch over time.
I like the look of the Henleys, especially the location of the top stitching -- somewhat similar to the Langford, which I own and like.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.
alot darker and richer than what i expected as the one in the store was a few years old and has worn down in color i guess.

these are so sweet. absolutely brand-spanking new as well , still has cardboard inside.

Picture034-2.jpg

Picture038-2.jpg

Picture037-2.jpg

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

these do not look like a $354 shell shoe. these are worth its full retail at $700

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
these do not look like a $354 shell shoe. these are worth its full retail at $700
Indeed. I regret not buying them now.
plain.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship.gif
Originally Posted by shoe
got my Polo Darlton (aka Marlow on the box) today and they are absolutely fabulous.
alot darker and richer than what i expected as the one in the store was a few years old and has worn down in color i guess.

these are so sweet. absolutely brand-spanking new as well , still has cardboard inside.

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

Shoe, mine were brand spanking new also, just the varying shades of beautiful brown cordovan. I wore them last night, and after seeing your picture....will wear them again tonight. They look damn good!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Regards.

tntele

Reaction score
I know that sizing has been addressed before, but I have not seen their sizing compared to Alden. I wear an 11D in the barrie last, so do I need an 11D in this shoe or an 11.5D? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads