• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post photos of your media room!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It's funny how every "hobbyist" group has their whacked out theories/beliefs/arguments etc. With us in clothing, it's the whole handmade verus machine made etc etc. The watch guys have their inhouse versus ETA movements and the audio guys have their cable/cable cups thing.

Pen people have their cartridge converter/piston fill arguments.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Pen people have their cartridge converter/piston fill arguments.

We seem to have religious debates like crazy in audio...analog vs. digital, subjective versus objective, tube versus solid state, SACD versus DVD Audio, planar versus dynamic.

A healthy foundation for personal attacks and half truths.
smile.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The B&O Beolab 5s are world class. There are very few better speakers at any price.

Maggies are nice, but limited in bass and dynamics (loudness mostly).

--Andre

I listened to the smaller brother, the Beolab 9. I did not like it so much because for me, some higher notes seemed to be 'muddled'. For all the claims of the "lens", it is still directional. Looking at the setup logically, if you can imagine that soundwaves are like the waves generated when you drop a pebble in a pond (albeit the soundwaves emanate in all directions), the casement/lens around the tweeter will invariably cause the reflections to interact, and not all in a good way.

I agree that the Magnepans are limited in 'bottom', which is invariably a weakness of electrostatics. But the new ones from Quad (specifically the ESL 2905) have a nice 'fullness' to the sound, and still has that captivating,almost haunting sound quality of electrostats. But then again, Wilson Benesch's Curves have a somewhat similar sound from a standard box design.

Artifan, what happend to your speakers? It looks like there are a few dents in the film?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
But then again, Wilson Benesch's Curves have a somewhat similar sound from a standard box design.

I'd love to do a side-by-side day-long comparison of the Curve, the Discovery, the A.C.T., and the Chimera with a stack of my favorite SACDs.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like and use dipoles, but prefer them to be implemented with cone drivers rather than some kind of big flat surface, which have many issues. Dipole bass is amazing and is one of the big reasons to use dipolar speakers.

The QUADs are probably the best implementations of a flat surface transducer, and it's amazing that its fundamental design was done in the early 60s.

--Andre

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no way in hell I can compete with the awesomeness of Artisan Fan's set-up (by the way, that VPI is my dream machine), but here's my "Record Room", which I've been telling my wife I wanted ever since we started dating 5 years ago.
13238new-wall.jpg
13238rear-wall-room.jpg
Before I got my new shelfs, I was using these unsightly industrial-looking garage shelves
13238rack2.jpg
13238rack1.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I agree that the Magnepans are limited in 'bottom'
Only deep bass in the models below the 20.1s which go down to 25hz and can produce the true weight of an orchestra-a friend drives them with 1200 watt Macs. The 3.6s go down to 34 hz which is very good and my 1.6s go to 40hz which is fine for me. What I have found is that mid bass is often more important for most music. A lot of speaker mfrs focus on the low end but miss the continuosness of the frequency spectrum.

There are no dents in my speakers, the flash is highlighting the fasteners behind the speaker sock.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I agree that the Magnepans are limited in 'bottom', which is invariably a weakness of electrostatics.
The Maggies are not electrostatics, they are magnetic planar, an entirely different technology.

P.S. The midrange on B&Os is not as good as Maggies but they sound good with some electronics.

P.S.S. Nice room Nataku!
smile.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nataku, are those Klipschorns with their tube amps sitting on top of them?

For nicely made, functional media storage, I like these guys (who are in Atlanta as well):

http://www.storadisc.com/

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Good link Andre. I've been to the factory and they do superb work but I never bought anything based purely on price. It is finely crafted.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Good link Andre. I've been to the factory and they do superb work but I never bought anything based purely on price. It is finely crafted.

I don't like that you can see the bolts/screws whatever you call them for the shelves on the exterior of the pieces.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't like that you can see the bolts/screws whatever you call them for the shelves on the exterior of the pieces.

They are less intrusive in person but they might be able to countersink them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Nataku, are those Klipschorns with their tube amps sitting on top of them? For nicely made, functional media storage, I like these guys (who are in Atlanta as well): http://www.storadisc.com/ --Andre
That they are, good eye!
smile.gif
That Storadisc shelving looks to be very well crafted. @ Artisan Fan - Thanks!

crush

Reaction score
nataku-your collection of lp`s is quite impressive-do you listen to them exclusively(no cd`s/dvd`s,...whatever)?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Crush. Yeah, the music I listen to was all recorded when lps were the primary format, thus hearing them on LP gives them a warmer, fuller sound like they were ment to be heard, opposed to digitally enhanced music of CDs/DVDs. As for my collection, I've only been collecting for about 8 years and have never paid a penny over $9 for an lp....most come from garage sales where I find 4 or so great albums in the first few that I flip through in a box....then just make an offer on the whole box. It's like opening a Christmas present when I get home, as there's usually tons of other treasures in them as well! Though as of late, the local hipster crowd has been ruining all my luck....thankfully they only know of the mainstream classic rock and not the underground garage rock of the 60's and early 70's....which interests me most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics