• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

V.K. Nagrani Ovadafut socks

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
You make my point...

I'm in a "Style" forum and if I want to wear colorful or interesting socks, I'm accused of being "Eccentric."

And that's my overall impression of these forums. The overwhelming message (by the ones who tend to speak with "authority") is that one should (mostly) dress in a sedate, dignified manner (albeit well-coordinated), and only wear the best constructed, longest-lasting garments...even if it means foresaking current style (Ex: RM Williams boots...great utility I'm sure,...but the design went out of style 20 years ago!).

BTW-If it wasn't for us "eccentrics" the world would be a pretty dull place.

Dennis

Relax.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You make my point...

I'm in a "Style" forum and if I want to wear colorful or interesting socks, I'm accused of being "Eccentric."

And that's my overall impression of these forums. The overwhelming message (by the ones who tend to speak with "authority") is that one should (mostly) dress in a sedate, dignified manner (albeit well-coordinated), and only wear the best constructed, longest-lasting garments...even if it means foresaking current style (Ex: RM Williams boots...great utility I'm sure,...but the design went out of style 20 years ago!).

Dennis

No, he's not. If you look at the WAYWN thread, you'll see lots of folks here dress in ways some would call "eccentric" -- in large part because those posters aren't worrying about whether what they wear is au courant. I think part of your confusion is that you're using "style" in the sense GQ or Teen Beat would use it. What you (and they) mean is "fashion", not "style". The fact that something is no longer available for purchase at A&F doesn't mean that it is "out of style".

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You make my point...

Dennis

Doesn't it seem an oxymoron to champion the unusual while condemning those who wear stuff that doesn't fit with current fashion? The eccentric is acceptable only if everyone else approves?

Full disclosure: I'm one of those RM Williams boots guys.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
What you (and they) mean is "fashion", not "style". The fact that something is no longer available for purchase at A&F doesn't mean that it is "out of style".
I just looked up the word "style" in many of the online dictionaries... With little exception, they all agree that it is synonymous with "fashion." And they cite various examples such as: "The fashion of the moment, especially of dress; vogue." or better still, "the prevailing or customary fashion" with a reference to "a look that has gone out of style"...

BTW- I wouldn't be caught dead in anything from A&F. It's not my style. I also rarely bother to read GQ. I don't need a magazine to be able to observe what is currently in fashion. For my own particular "style"...I take what I like and incorporate it with what I believe to be a current look (as in not old fashioned).

I'm not knocking anyone for wishing to dress nicely, conservatively, with distinction...From time to time I enjoy dressing that way myself. But it does bug me when I come into a Style forum and feel like I'm the outsider.

Dennis

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just looked up the word "style" in many of the online dictionaries... With little exception, they all agree that it is synonymous with "fashion." And they cite various examples such as: "The fashion of the moment, especially of dress; vogue." or better still, "the prevailing or customary fashion" with a reference to "a look that has gone out of style"...

BTW- I wouldn't be caught dead in anything from A&F. It's not my style. I also rarely bother to read GQ. I don't need a magazine to be able to observe what is currently in fashion. For my own particular "style"...I take what I like and incorporate it with what I believe to be a current look (as in not old fashioned).

I'm not knocking anyone for wishing to dress nicely, conservatively, with distinction...From time to time I enjoy dressing that way myself. But it does bug me when I come into a Style forum and feel like I'm the outsider.

Dennis

So you want people here to conform to your personal concept of style, and are complaining that they don't, while also complaining that people here are too restricted in their concept of style. I think you can have one of those complaints, but not both.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
You missed my message entirely....

Everyone should have their own sense of style...even if (or perhaps especially if) it doesn't conform with the more conservative points of view.

I have followed fashion my entire adult life, and when I join a style forum I certainly don't expect to read over and over and over, how the clothes that are made by the fashion houses are just so much "ugly" or "eccentric" "crap."

Full disclosure: I'm one of those RM Williams boots guys.
Each to his own. I wouldn't wear them.

BTW- Sorry to have hijacked this thread... I'm a big fan of Nagrani socks.

Dennis

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You missed my message entirely....

Everyone should have their own sense of style...even if (or perhaps especially if) it doesn't conform with the more conservative points of view.

I have followed fashion my entire adult life, and when I join a style forum I certainly don't expect to read over and over and over, how the clothes that are made by the fashion houses are just so much "ugly" or "eccentric" "crap."

Each to his own. I wouldn't wear them.

BTW- Sorry to have hijacked this thread... I'm a big fan of Nagrani socks.

Dennis

I get your message but you seem to be deliberately avoiding mine. Have you looked at the What Are You Wearing Today thread? The only person I can think of who does the conservative power business look regularly is Soph. People here have a wide range of styles, and that those styles don't fit with your view of what's acceptable/desirable doesn't mean your premise -- that everyone is into stodgy businesswear -- is correct. Sure, "fashion" doesn't get a lot of love here, except from SoCal and a few others, but most posters are more interested in devising their own style than in wearing what a designer tells them is the latest must-have.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Definitely not trying to avoid your message... I've often checked out the WAYWN thread...been through every page.

I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of people here who choose to dress in their own way....which may or may not include their following what the fashion houses are doing. I'm saying that it seems that there are a disproportionate number of people here who want to suggest (aggressively) that "marching to the beat of a different drummer" is somehow very wrong. I would expect to find that attitude elsewhere, but never in a Style forum.

Dennis

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not trying to avoid your message... I've often checked out the WAYWN thread...been through every page.

I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of people here who choose to dress in their own way....which may or may not include their following what the fashion houses are doing. I'm saying that it seems that there are a disproportionate number of people here who want to suggest (aggressively) that "marching to the beat of a different drummer" is somehow very wrong. I would expect to find that attitude elsewhere, but never in a Style forum.

Dennis

Err...wrong. They are saying that marching to the ephemeral constantly changing beat of a clothing designer's drum is wrong. Use some pieces but fashion for the sake of fashion is not what this place is about. This is not GQ Forum after all.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I just looked up the word "style" in many of the online dictionaries......From time to time I enjoy dressing that way myself. But it does bug me when I come into a Style forum and feel like I'm the outsider.

Dennis

It's about context. "Style" as used here is generally understood to be closer to the first several entries in Webster's, which all arise from the concept of a distinctive manner of expression. They idea of "style" as an ephemeral concept akin to "fashion" doesn't really come up until about the 5th definition.

But regardless of how many random (pun sort of intended) dictionary definitions we can bandy about, the definition I gave (although I'm sure others could express it far better) is closer to what people here mean by the term. And one of the things people do here is give opinions on matters of style, sometimes complimentary and sometimes in the form of (mostly) constructive criticism. You shouldn't take disagreement personally or let it make you feel like an "outsider". A good rule of thumb is to take from others' comments what you find useful and leave the rest. That said, if you view "style" and "fashion" as synonymous, you probably won't find your views to be in sync with those of most regular posters here. That's simply not the frame of reference most of us here use, and you're not going to change that by quoting wikipedia at us.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That said, if you view "style" and "fashion" as synonymous, you probably won't find your views to be in sync with those of most regular posters here. That's simply not the frame of reference most of us here use
True about most of us, but there are also posters here (and especially on the S&D forum) who are attached to weekly or monthly fashion trends (don't want to name names here but Socal for example... oops
tounge.gif
)

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I'm saying that it seems that there are a disproportionate number of people here who want to suggest (aggressively) that "marching to the beat of a different drummer" is somehow very wrong.

Semantics, perhaps, but I think the gist of the comments you're referring to was not that "marching to the beat of a different drummer is wrong" -- having hung around here a while I'm confident that's not a representative mindset -- but rather that a particular form of marching to the beat of a different drummer isn't necessarily "right" just because it's different or eccentric. Obviously, we're talking about matters of taste here, so "right" and "wrong" aren't the best terms to begin with. People who flout convention in manner that's elegant, aesthetically pleasing, or dare I say "stylish" will get more praise than criticism here. People who champion choices that most of us find discordant or ugly are doing to meet with resistance, whether they characterize those choices as revolutionary (e.g., Eric Glennie's collars) or argue that their choices are "justified" by some "rule" of conservative business dress or fashion.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I gotta admit....there are certainly an eloquent bunch of guys here.

I'm still trying to wrestle with the feelings I've had about this place since first coming here. I suppose it's been more a matter of expectation....perhaps thinking I'd find more like-minded guys here. Instead I find a forum that seems to be (mostly) devoted to the understated (and again I must emphasize, that I definitely do not feel that understated is a bad thing).

For those who still aren't getting me (apparently I'm not as skilled a wordsmith as others here)... I do NOT follow fashion. If anything I like to think that I'm more of a leader than a follower. Although I AM a member, I probably haven't made more than a few visits over to the GQ/Details sponsored forum...The crowd over there seemed a little too..."young" for my tastes.

Maybe it'll help if I try to describe my "style." I rarely wear a suit or tie anymore...simply no need these days. So I'm usually attired in sportswear. I have a longstanding "thing" for out-of-the-ordinary shirts (Over the past 25 years I've accumulated over 400 shirts...most of them are what I consider to be "special"). I also have a "love affair" with what I feel to be "cool" boots (I have a LOT of boots).

When it comes to my wardrobe, I have a very ecclectic mix. My tastes can swing quite a bit from day-to-day, sometimes depending on my mood, or the occasion, ot it could be a simple thing like the weather (If it's dreary outside I tend to reach for very bright and colorful). While I do have a massive collection of designer clothes (mostly sportswear), I also have a sizeable amount from the classic "greats... Zegna, Canali, Brioni, Charvet, Borelli, etc...and a lot of stuff that I would consider to be "crossover"...

Ultimately, I like to mix it up. Yesterday I wore a gorgeous, quite understated, black & white striped Zegna shirt (mainline), with Facconable jeans (boot cut), Donald Pliner belt, and Mark Nason boots (not to worry, they aren't THAT wild). Today I'm wearing a Robert Graham shirt (which is fairly wild), with an old pair of Versace jeans, a Paciotti belt (also old, but wonderful), and a pair of black Ferragamo ankle boots.

And on both days my socks were by Nagrani.
wink.gif

Dennis

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore a gorgeous, quite understated, black & white striped Zegna shirt (mainline), with Facconable jeans (boot cut), Donald Pliner belt, and Mark Nason boots (not to worry, they aren't THAT wild). Today I'm wearing a Robert Graham shirt (which is fairly wild), with an old pair of Versace jeans, a Paciotti belt (also old, but wonderful), and a pair of black Ferragamo ankle boots.

Osprey Guy - You should meet kitonbrioni

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Osprey Guy-

I think another possible distinction between yourself and many of the posters is your observation that no longer need to wear a suit or tie anymore. I think there are a fair proportion of posters who chose to regardless of the need because doing so is consistent with their personal sense of style.

It sounds like you have a defined niche in which you are happy and, while your sense of style is not mine, your input ought be interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics