• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The great suit style is of Germany my friends

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is good reason only strange people (foppish neo-cons) would wear this sort of thing in northern Germany. For many Germans (including myself) this sort of attire stands for reactionary, nationalist, backward marsupialation.

This does not mean that there aren't occasions where I would think it acceptable to wear a Trachten type of outfit - and I don't mean the hellish Oktoberfest.
Friends recentely had a wedding in a very small but beautiful Austrian village and Tracht was the dresscode for one of the occasions.

Mustapha

Reaction score
I spent a week in Germany on business recently. Business suits as everywhere else in the world with the exception of several 3 button single breasted with vests in black. Never seen that in NAmerica or Europe. Perhaps it was a Berlin thing.

-Moose

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like it, please post more examples. I'd certainly wear it while eating reindeer.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is one of the funnier posts I have seen. What fabulous German-English!

You see this kind of stuff in Bavaria in southern Germany with some frequency... Munich, Augsburg, etc. Almost exclusively on older folks. It looks good. I like it. There's nothing wrong with wearing the traditional dress of your country.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
This is one of the funnier posts I have seen. What fabulous German-English!

You see this kind of stuff in Bavaria in southern Germany with some frequency... Munich, Augsburg, etc. Almost exclusively on older folks. It looks good. I like it. There's nothing wrong with wearing the traditional dress of your country.

You are right of course: There is nothing wrong with wearing this for Germans - just like there is nothing wrong with Americans wearing white sheets with pointy, matching hats. Perfectly acceptable.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
You are right of course: There is nothing wrong with wearing this for Germans - just like there is nothing wrong with Americans wearing white sheets with pointy, matching hats. Perfectly acceptable.

I probably shouldn't even get sucked into this, but white sheets with pointy, matching hats are not an example of "traditional dress." They are an example of a goofy uniform.

It's not like people in Germany are walking around in Waffen SS uniforms.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think a lot of Germans were raised to believe that too much cultural pride was a direct link to bad things in the past so many would associate something like this with nazism.

Yes, and I believe that similar thoughts prevent a lot of "progressive" people from dressing like gentlemen: they think that dressing properly is associated with "capitalism" and just for bankers.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
I think you are referring to the Spanish.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these when I was in Munich and Regensberg. There is a store off Marianplatz that had one I almost bought ( a lot more mellow- tone on tone) Even I couldn't pull it off for work here in the US though. Went with the Federbusch instead.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany
I hope you are not licking your chops too aggressively for not being able to purchase such a superior model in your country, as you might make a muscle stain in your tongue.

crackup[1].gif
That **** is gold.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Maybe it's the lighting that makes it look more like Hunter green than Loden green, but I really like Loden Green with that kind of mid 'Oxford' Grey.

A very nice colour combo in my book.

More?

LL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics